• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Preventing grazed shins

willyboy

Does anybody have any advice on how to prevent the shins from grazing when doing deadilfts? I try to keep it as close to my shins without grazing them but sometimes I graze them. Some friends have suggested footy socks. Does anyone have any other suggestions from preventing this from occurring?

learn to do them with the proper technique, or use a shin pad of some description like footy socks etc. If you can perfect your technique it wont be a problem, that said, I know what you mean, as I am still learning the correct technique and have skin off my knee lol.

What would be "proper technique"? lol

Footy socks are the easiest, and most pain free option mate.

learn to do them with the proper technique, or use a shin pad of some description like footy socks etc. If you can perfect your technique it wont be a problem, that said, I know what you mean, as I am still learning the correct technique and have skin off my knee lol.

Proper technique is bar touching the shins.

Also another vote for footy socks.

yep socks... or the other obvious solution is to wear trackies when you deadlift.

I vote harden up, same as I would say to someone wanting to use gloves or a squat pad.

Agreed..

To the boys our there..
If the girls at ptc Sydney can do it so can u..
mind u most wear tights when doing deadlifts.. but still get bruising..

Proper technique is bar touching the shins.

Also another vote for footy socks.

Im no expert on it, I'll admit that to everyone right now. But I'd hate to be your shin Bazza lol.

I guess if you want to drag the bar up your shin just use some footy socks. I try to go as close as I can without actually scraping the shin, that is what I meant by proper technique. I should say that I have only been lifting for a bit over a month and my dead is only at 70kg for 8 reps, so it may be easier for me to direct the bar because its lighter than most lift, and no, I am certainly not an authority on this, but I still don't recomend scraping up your shins, that can't be good for the long term when the weight gets really heavy, could do allot of damage there, but also could harden the skin enough to take it.

The further the bar is away from the shins the worse your leverages and the less weight you lift. It's might be ok to have the bar away from the shins with 70kg but when you put a heap more weight on the bar it's a different story.

Put footy socks on. Other than that like others have said harden up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr2_mCh2dUI]‪Dave tate on Dead lifting conventional & sumo‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

See Dave Tate vid on pulling, Move the bar away from your shins....

I set up with the bar over the balls of my feet, from there my shoulders are in line with the bar, this can be done by moving your hips up or down.

Does anybody have any advice on how to prevent the shins from grazing when doing deadilfts? I try to keep it as close to my shins without grazing them but sometimes I graze them. Some friends have suggested footy socks. Does anyone have any other suggestions from preventing this from occurring?

When I was weightlifting, I could have taken a whole chunk off my shin/s without the least of noticing due to the adrenaline pump. You should be proud that you actually have the evidence to tell us here how close the bar is to your shins whilst pulling.

Okay, it's not the answer you probably were hoping for. The only suggestion I have for you is to tape over it. But taping over it does not mean the bar should not be touching your shins. Touching is a sign of something positive (which I'm sure you know).

Preventing grazed shins
I would not use the word "prevent" here. Because to prevent grazing is to prevent having the bar been as close as possible to your body. What I would say though would be this: preventing shins from bleeding or being cut or the like. And for that, follow my suggestion above with the tape over your shins.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I will add to my previous posts that the bar now starts about 2mm further away from my shins then it did when I started due to a big, permanent lump being there now lol