• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Preventing grazed shins

good video. So just to get this straight, your toes should be in line with the bar and your shoulders should be behind the bar the whole time?

I set up with bar over the mid point of my feet. I saw it in a Rippetoe vid and have always done it that way since.

So just to get this straight, your toes should be in line with the bar
Whenever you're thinking toes, make your next word "knees". Knees follow toes. When you're thinking foot, make your next words "centre line" which is the bar traveling from the traps all the way down to meet with mid-foot.

The look of your chest, be it looking up or down makes no difference as long as that centre line is not violated. As I've said before, people with long femur and short torso would tend to naturally stoop their chest forward, which makes them look like they're about to fall over or break their lower back; neither will happen.

Fadi.

Last edited:
yes thanks for reply, but what about the shoulder (on mixed grip) should it be infront of the bar or behind the bar?

yes thanks for reply, but what about the shoulder (on mixed grip) should it be infront of the bar or behind the bar?

over the bar
edit: if your shoulder if infront of it, the bar will come forward when it comes off the ground, making it harder to move up.
when your shoulder is behind the bar, you pull the bar back into your shins.

Last edited:
thanks for all the informative replies, I like fadi's idea of taping the shins, although I might look a bit silly at my gym (commercial).
This might sound a bit wierd or what not but what kind of tape should i use?

When I was at my old gym, I used to regularly run the barbell along my shins and thighs, trying to keep it as close as my body as possible to save my back. However, the barbells were old and had little knurling left. My technique changed quick smart when I ripped all the hair and skin from my shins, knees and thighs by using brand new equipment. I still get the occasional bruise and hair ripped out but it's more so from my thighs from doing rack pulls thesedays as opposed to deadlifts. Wearing socks up to my knees, fuck that!