• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Qualifying totals for CAPO Nats

PA's qualifying totals for their first Raw Nationals are a lot lower, although I think their 2nd one will be a lot more strict.

CAPO raw is knee wraps on squat. PA is only neoprene knee sleeves. A good wrap can add 30kg so that could be the difference I suppose.

say that the top 8 (or whatever number) from each state comp get to go to the Nats?

That's what I'd do.

1 or 2 lifters in each weight class would be shithouse.

Based on last years Nats, how many entrants would qualify Markos?

I went to look up the answer to your question, but CAPO has no comp results after August 2010.

With their record-keeping, I'm not sure how they'd actually know if you qualified or not.

On a slight tangent....a constant theme in the WL community is that the national qualifying totals are quite high. Last years nat's there was zero male lifters in the 56kg or 62kg classes. One in the 69kg class and three in the 77's.

There was only a handful of female lifters.

To qualify in the 69kg class you need to total 221, which is quite high. As Markos has said though...you do need to have a respectable target though.

PA allow sleeves, CAPO dont even allow that, know your facts.

Kyle, August 2010 was the date of the last CAPO 3 lift comp, the 2010 Nats, everything since hasnt been powerlifting, just single lift stuff.

Regardless of what standards CAPO set, lifters are going to miss out, so they cant win.

With Dave, Alen, Dim, Gareth not qualifying, that leaves Max and Nina, who are both not competing this year, Vicky, who wont travel, Nathan who cant afford to travel, Daryl is too busy with work to train, Kelly is fighting. That leaves old James, who I dont think will travel alone up to Albury. Nico is in Denmark as well, I dont think PTC will have a single lifter at Nats this year.

We will have big crew at States though, Sunday March 27 at PTC.

Markos am I allowed to use my total to lift in higher weight class or if I want to lift in 75kg or 82.5kg do I have to re qualify ? I will be lifting in the 75 possibly 82.5kg class this year and would love to skip qualifying at states if possible in order to follow my programs to peak at nationals.

Last edited:
Markos any chance of talking to Paul and getting CAPO to look at allowing non adjustable knee sleeves like PA?

Markos any chance of talking to Paul and getting CAPO to look at allowing non adjustable knee sleeves like PA?

Doubt it. WPC standard is no sleeves. Unless that changes CAPO will be the same. Otherwise records etc won't count.

Has to come from WPC as Sherro said

Nick is spot on with Max, he just wants to focus on training and eating to get bigger and stronger, he is only 18 and has 4 comps under his belt. Of course, being 18, this may change tomorrow lol

Michael, you have posted a qualifying total, weight class is irrelevant

At least with ProRaw, CAPO lifters get to use wraps in raw comps, or sleeves if they prefer.

Thanks Markos, I must admit I have similar thought to max... im pretty keen to just have a year of uninterupted training complete all my programs without having to worry abuot peaking then compete next year.

Lets see, by the time Max was 18 and 4 months.

He had competed 3 times in PTC 5 lift comps, 2 10 event Strongman events, 2 State Titles, a Nationals and a Worlds. He has travelled interstate and overseas to compete.

In this time frame, he has National and World Records, plus a World Championship.

I guess my comment about comps make you strong rings true. But like most internet users, the fingers operate faster than the brain.

Paullie and Kelly, how many comps have you guys done??????

And so you guys know, the PTC 5 lift comps and Strongman Events were 500% harder than the 3 lift PL comps, ask ANYONE who has done both.

Anything else Paullie?

If I can get any of my clients to compete, I'll be happy. Only women, none of my male clients have any chance of a good showing.

Those of you who can compete, are physically capable of putting up respectable totals - you should do it. Make the best of what you've got.

Paullie and Kelly, how many comps have you guys done??????

Somewhere between 5 and 7 three lift comps I think. Some of those were equipped though so I guess they don't count. I just ask because it seems contrary to your view about capo not running enough comps. If Max or any of your lifters want to have a year off then fair enough I hope it works for them. I just figured you'd be against it.

I guess my comment about comps make you strong rings true.

I guess not...

On topic, I think the qualifying totals are fair. It makes it hard if you're relatively new to the sport but it's something to aim for.

Kelly, Max is 18 and not a kid anymore, he makes his own decisions, and he has about all his lifting and training.

He doesnt really like the way the powerlifts make him feel strength wise.

He really is a more gifted OL than PL.

He is currently training 6 days a week for between 90-120 minutes a session.

He simply wants to, for the first time since he started training for a comp in August 2008, just train and do whatever he wants. He doesnt care what he weighs.

He has a new diet that appears to be working for him, he is looking very lean and bigger, and for the first time in months really enjoying his training. He spends most nights on the platform doing OL.

He is still a teen till May 4 2012, he has plenty of time to compete as a teen, but I think he wants to compete in the Open section next time he competes.

I'm surprised this is even remotely interesting to you guys, an 18yo kid wanting a break from competition. He has competed in sport since age 6, this is the first year that he has not competed in official competition of some kind, normally 2-3 sports at a time, for 12 years.

Lets move on. The qualification will only make those that miss out train harder. Those that quit and walk away were possibly not cut out for the sport. Expecting instant success is not healthy. Its only one comp a year they miss out on, I hope to have 3-4 CAPO comps and 2-3 ProRaw comps a year at PTC.