• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Question on gravity and muscular development

tgw85

Does gravity actually influence the direction myofibrils grow? Such as, does gravity influence the direction satellite cells 'congregate' when moving in to repair the damaged (just worked) area of muscle? Basically does gravity hinder the satellite cells from moving to the 'top' of the fiber, when healing and growing, and therefore hinders the fiber from growing more upwards then if 'grown' in zero gravity? How do we know fibers don't significantly grow just down towards the grownd... but b/c of the tendon it can 'push off' as it grows, allowing it grow upwards too?

We don't. Except we do know that muscles atrophy and pretty much refuse to grow under zero gravity. So we really don't have any choice.

Is this a follow on from that recent Arnie's pec hanging down business? Are you the same fella? Your questions baffle me champ. I'd caution against analysis paralysis.

I think only plants are effected by gravitational forces in relation to which way to grow, its called geotrophism, thats why you see trees on a hill side growing strait up, also phototrophism, which means they grow towards the light.

In low gravity ythere is less stress on teh muscles and bones so bone desity decreases, and muscles atrophy as there is no resistance.

Is this a follow on from that recent Arnie's pec hanging down business? Are you the same fella? Your questions baffle me champ. I'd caution against analysis paralysis.

Uh huh.... I'm sorry for posting stupid shit in your board, I just wish there was some way I could look the answers up to these stupid questions in a book or something and move on.... but yeah I'm still 'battling' the 'paranoia', I suppose, of the chest growing longer/and getting thinner thing, and if that's true it just makes me wonder about how muscles in their entirty grow. I had, just your average fervent fascination about muscles and bodybuilding, and then when that stupid quesiton popped into my head and I started looking for myself, boom I'm confused and it seems like my whole world and everything I learned about muscles is being turned upside down.... bullshit nonsense..... but I just have that analytical almost paranoid pessimistic side of me that continually questions and challanges, and that's good... for math or science or something I suppose, but with something so small like this yet I feel like it will make or break my whole attitude and perception on muscles and bodybuilding... and I don't want that cause i'm only 19 I have my whole life still, I want to own a badass gym and train oneday.... I try to let this go, but it fucking hard for me to work out or bench when I'm fighting the contemplation of whether or not what I'm doing will eventually lead to a long paper thin bottom chest, (when relaxed/not flexing), or whether or not gravity makes my muscles grow just straight down and somewhat thicker instead of muscles just fucking growing thicker and to genetics and not 'growing down b/c of gravity'.

So please do not comment if you're not trying to help me, thanx.

Last edited:
Can I do a chest workout then sleep hanging like a bat for a month in the hope I will grow more upper chest? lol

Put it this way. If you were to stand up & hold a db in front of you, the gravity of that weight will have an effect on all parts of your body. Your arm, your shoulder connected to that arm. Your torso. Your hips. Legs. Even ankles.

Can I do a chest workout then sleep hanging like a bat for a month in the hope I will grow more upper chest? lol

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... you're funny.... and, well how do you know it wouldn't?

Put it this way. If you were to stand up & hold a db in front of you, the gravity of that weight will have an effect on all parts of your body. Your arm, your shoulder connected to that arm. Your torso. Your hips. Legs. Even ankles.

That's not what I mean... actually mr. wiseguy morgan has it right... that's an example of the question, however 'silly' it is.

I admit it is a thought provoking question. Conducting such research would be difficult since there are numerous conflicting factors. Genetics. Diet. General lifestyle. Exercise routine.

I feel that genetics and exercise selection and set/rep selection plus nutrition will impact results over such methods as 'anti gravity recovery methods', since when your not working with gravity....your against it.

omg another thread on something you cant change. What are you going to do, sleep upside down every second day like Morgs suggested?

Does gravity actually influence the direction myofibrils grow? Such as, does gravity influence the direction satellite cells 'congregate' when moving in to repair the damaged (just worked) area of muscle? Basically does gravity hinder the satellite cells from moving to the 'top' of the fiber, when healing and growing, and therefore hinders the fiber from growing more upwards then if 'grown' in zero gravity? How do we know fibers don't significantly grow just down towards the grownd... but b/c of the tendon it can 'push off' as it grows, allowing it grow upwards too?

I sense first year anatomy . The direction of growth of muscle fibres is not affected by gravity. Also the fibres of your chest point laterally muscle fibre growth isn't quite like that of a tree. If you're worried about getting a droopy Arnold chest exercise such a way that will increase the tonicity of your muscles. If you want to learn more get a human movement and biomechanics texbook.