• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Quotes

Here is a few I like;

On workout volume and frequency,

“Best results will always be produced by the minimum amount of exercise that imposes the maximum amount of growth stimulation.”

“…the body can withstand any possible “intensity” of exercise, so long as the amount of such exercise does not exceed the limits of the recovery ability.”

“All of the evidence clearly supports the contention that the “intensity of exercise” should be as high as possible—and that the “amount of exercise” should be limited to the absolute minimum that will produce the desired growth stimulation.”

“If you train properly, you don’t need an actually large “amount” of exercise; more than that, if you train properly, you can’t stand much exercise.”

“If only a few actually very simple points are understood—and applied in practice—then almost all trainees can reach their individual limits of muscular size and strength very quickly, and as a result of brief, infrequent workouts…”

On exercise selection and training routines,

“If a proper selection of exercises is made, then only a few movements are required to develop almost the ultimate degree of strength and muscular size.”

“Properly performed, even a very few basic barbell exercises will produce good results—improperly performed, and no amount of exercises or sets will produce equal results.”

“For best results from exercise, all of the major muscular structures should be worked—all of them; you certainly can build large arms without working your legs—but you will build them much larger, and much quicker, if you also exercise your legs.”

“…human muscular structures are capable of an almost infinite number of individual movements if we consider all of the possibilities and combinations, and attempting to provide a separate exercise for each of these possible movements would certainly be impractical at the very least—but if we consider only major movements, then the number of functions are such that “almost all muscles are involved in almost all movements” (at least in gross terms and in a general sense), it becomes obvious that an actually very limited number of exercises can provide the required work for all of the muscular structures.”

On nutrition,

“A man on a program of heavy physical training will obviously require enough extra calories to supply the energy required by such training—or, at least, he will if he hopes to maintain his existing bodyweight; and if he wishes to gain additional bodyweight, then he will require even more in the way of nutritional factors. But such requirements can come—and, indeed, should come—from a fairly normal diet; such a diet should be well rounded in makeup, and should contain enough protein for meeting the requirements of the moment. Absolutely nothing else in the way of a special diet is required.”

On abdominal training,

“…if you train the rest of the body properly, then the abdominal area will take care of itself. The billions of sit-ups and leg-raises that have been performed by millions of trainees have been almost a complete waste of time and effort…”

“You can build the muscles of the midsection by performing a reasonable amount of intense exercise for the directly involved muscles, but no amount of exercise for these same muscles will help to reduce fat in that area of the body so long as a positive calorie balance exists—a much better approach to the problem is to reduce the food intake as much as possible while performing a reasonable amount of exercise for all of the muscles of the body.”

good quotes indeed.

Re core training: I typically don't do much direct work at all but recently have (as not squatting or deadlifting) and I have already seen good improvements in strength. (isometric strength specifically).

So, I still say it is optional for those doing compound barbell movements until it is a limiting factor. Certainly not the main factor in creating visible abs though.

good quotes indeed.

Re core training: I typically don't do much direct work at all but recently have (as not squatting or deadlifting) and I have already seen good improvements in strength. (isometric strength specifically).

So, I still say it is optional for those doing compound barbell movements until it is a limiting factor. Certainly not the main factor in creating visible abs though.

you mean iso-lateral [MENTION=7082]jzpowahz[/MENTION]; ?

The law of diminishing returns contrasts against your first quote.
There is no way to do the least to get the maximum. The body doesn't work like that, adaptation isn't an efficient process. You do some work and you get better, you do double the work and you get 50% more, you do double again and you may get another 5%

I'd rather do quadruple what is "efficient" for those extra 5%. Sure some exercise is better than others, but it's not rocket science to figure that out.

The law of diminishing returns contrasts against your first quote.
There is no way to do the least to get the maximum. The body doesn't work like that, adaptation isn't an efficient process. You do some work and you get better, you do double the work and you get 50% more, you do double again and you may get another 5%

I'd rather do quadruple what is "efficient" for those extra 5%. Sure some exercise is better than others, but it's not rocket science to figure that out.

(perform the minimum amount) to (produce the maximum amount of growth)

so you'd rather perform the maximum amount to produce the minimum amount of growth?

you read into too much, too much.

I would love to get involved, but avoid some conversation now.

But, it is amusing how the point of diminished return applied to his past discussion of PED use, but does not apply to training, the most important part of getting strong.

If it was all about the workload to get stronger, then why are so few in many gyms not that strong.

Silverback, while I recognises the strengths of different programs, I am with you - avoid overload as much as possible. Smart and intense training goes a very long way.

(perform the minimum amount) to (produce the maximum amount of growth)

so you'd rather perform the maximum amount to produce the minimum amount of growth?

you read into too much, too much.

I read into it because it's so simple I couldn't possibly imagine you posting something so blatantly obvious. I don't think anyone tries to do the most work for minimal gains. Everyone strives to do the minimum to get progress

I would love to get involved, but avoid some conversation now.

But, it is amusing how the point of diminished return applied to his past discussion of PED use, but does not apply to training, the most important part of getting strong.

If it was all about the workload to get stronger, then why are so few in many gyms not that strong.

Silverback, while I recognises the strengths of different programs, I am with you - avoid overload as much as possible. Smart and intense training goes a very long way.

So few people in many gyms are not that strong because they are not performing a high workload. They dick around on pointless shit that make it impossible to rack up good poundage

So few people in many gyms are not that strong because they are not performing a high workload. They dick around on pointless shit that make it impossible to rack up good poundage

You have got the brains of a bag of hair, fair dinkum.

Most young dudes, do *a lot* of the pointless exercises, spend up to 2 hours in the gym working well below the level of *work* needed to provide maximal results.

People don't make progress because they're wrapped up in themselves or the need for affiliation (very Maslowvian) and are not focused on completion of the task.

You have got the brains of a bag of hair, fair dinkum.

Most young dudes, do *a lot* of the pointless exercises, spend up to 2 hours in the gym working well below the level of *work* needed to provide maximal results.

I agree
It's the workload that counts