• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Recommendations for garage gym

1. Use $2k for training fees at PTC Brisbane
2. Save plenty of $$$ cause PTC isn't over priced
3. Train with motivated people under a quality coach
4. See gains
5. Profit!

Everyone seems to want their own garage gym these days. I have my own gear because its 1500-1600kms to the nearest quality coach. Plenty of people in my town claim to be coaches and I've tried them all only to be disappointed time and time again. My advice, if you access to a quality coach like sticky, use him.

I actually train with a sports team with a good coach so this would be mainly for extras, offseason training and training for my mates and brother. And I want to be able to use it once I finish my sport as well.

I do have a wife, no kids yet. My dad had an old school sort of garage gym at my parents place so i trained there until I moved out and have trained in the gym at the club I play for since then which has an awesome training atmosphere, great coach and all very motivated people so I've never trained in any other gyms. I'm sure PTC would be similar and an amazing place to train at but probably doesn't suit my life at the moment.

hahah
[MENTION=10435]azz33[/MENTION]; i was joking about the sandbells mate. Look them up anyway for a laugh

Haha I hoped so, I was just being sarcastic hahah

Which ABC barbell would you guys recommend getting? I'd mostly be doing the power lifts with it and maybe in the future I'd do some hang cleans or the like but that isn't really important for this bar. Would the power bar be most suitable for this? Also, I've heard you can get different types of knurling on the bar, any recommendations for that?

Haha I hoped so, I was just being sarcastic hahah

Which ABC barbell would you guys recommend getting? I'd mostly be doing the power lifts with it and maybe in the future I'd do some hang cleans or the like but that isn't really important for this bar. Would the power bar be most suitable for this? Also, I've heard you can get different types of knurling on the bar, any recommendations for that?

I have the ABC power bar, with the "deep fine knurl".

I think it's perfect for hang clean and press/power cleans. I was using a really awful bar previously so to me I can't imagine bearing bars rotating any better than this one. Perhaps they do, but this bar serves me well so far.

been looking at the LC2 one from cyberfit or the force usa one - I like these racks, they both seem like good value and come with band pegs, and I think they both come with a dip attachment standard as well. Any input on these racks or suggestions of other racks would be great too.

Don't know if it's just me but I personally hate setting up the dip handles on the LC-2. Ended up getting a standalone dip station to avoid the hassle.

Don't know if it's just me but I personally hate setting up the dip handles on the LC-2. Ended up getting a standalone dip station to avoid the hassle.

It can be a pain. You just have to hold it up in place with one arm and thread the safety through with the other.

It can be a pain. You just have to hold it up in place with one arm and thread the safety through with the other.

The handles are fucked how short they are. I'm getting 400m extensions welded on splayed out at a 30 degree angle. Should make them a bit better to dip with

If you work long hours, have a mrs and kids, other committments. Noting beats the home gym. Best investment you'll make.

^^^ This.

I work shift and often long and irregular hours, so a home gym lets me train instantly when I have the time, no need to go anywhere, plus you have the gear for life if you buy quality.

Plus my closest gym is 1hr away from me one way.

If you are near a PTC go for some coaching occasionally, I can highly recommend it, when I was in Sydney I occasionally used to make my way PTC Sydney and spend a bit of time with Trent and Moons, was about 45 minute drive each way but well worth it, but still used to do most of my training at home.

Good idea Brick

Yeah. I bet they make them short so you can put them on the outside of the cage and not tip it over, but if you turn the handle into the cage it isn't going anywhere.

I just bolted my cage to the garage floor anyway, but others (renter ets) may not have that luxury.

The short stubby handles really fuck with my shoulder, can't get a natural grip.

Yeah. I bet they make them short so you can put them on the outside of the cage and not tip it over, but if you turn the handle into the cage it isn't going anywhere.

I just bolted my cage to the garage floor anyway, but others (renter ets) may not have that luxury.

The short stubby handles really fuck with my shoulder, can't get a natural grip.

Especially the part about having the bars coming out at an angle so you have a choice of grip widths

Yeah I did notice that when I was looking at pics of it, they look real short and awkward to use. The Force USA ones look a bit better.

Anyone got the lat pulldown attachment on either of the power racks? (LC2 or Force USA) not sure if i should get the attachment or just leave it and get a stand alone lat pulldown later on. The LC2 one looks like it'd really get in the way.

Also, has anyone dealt with Gym Garage in Brisbane before?? Looking at getting some Olympic plates from there. Here's the website:
http://www.gymgarage.com.au

Anyone got the lat pulldown attachment on either of the power racks? (LC2 or Force USA) not sure if i should get the attachment or just leave it and get a stand alone lat pulldown later on. The LC2 one looks like it'd really get in the way.

I have the LC2 attachment and it's handy for a few assistance exercises. I bought the lot 2nd hand so it all came together, not sure if I would buy it if I were buying new.

In terms of getting in the way it doesn't really bother me. When benching I just push the bench all the way back against the cross bar and that's room enough for me. If you have a spotter they will need to wiggle around the attachment to get in to a decent position.

I made my own tricep push down. It's easy as. Two pulleys, some catenary wire, 4 karabiner clips and a bucket. AlView attachment 8169

also works As lat pull down.

Edit: you may have to zoom in on pic to work it out!