• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

rest period between sets

i've read that approx 3min is where most of your strength has returned by, though i couldn't site where i read it.

30-60 sec for hypertrophy
3min -5min + for strength

Some guideline they have at asca.

If u need to rest more for strength do it.
But for bb under a min is adequate.

yeah anywhere between 2 and 10 minutes for me also. really depends on how hard/easy the last set was.

I eat kebabs between sets.

:p

A powerlifting meet has 10 mins between attempts
You need to train how you perform, at least towards a meet

It can get even longer. Switching off, then switching back on 9+ times over a 4 hour meet is incredibly taxing.

Well...with a workout of spprox 80 working reps and taking approx 8 minutes of rest, I'm not surprised training sessions take a long time.

I'm aware that training needs to be specific to the competition. In a competition if you were to benn 100kg, with the second attempt Beinf 105 (for example) but all the other lifters are higher than 105, is there still a 10 minute break?

It's not rising bar like oly lifting.

It's flights.

So rest periods stay about the same.
The loaders and how much other lifters fuck around determins how long it takes.

At the gpc nats, lifters had to start wrapping 3 lifters ahead... I know with other Feds you start wrapping 1 before because the loaders take longer.

Most of my training is moderate weights, so about 1 minute between set. This refers to training on 60-65% of max weght, 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps and occastional blow out set for max reps.

When i go heavier, ocaasionally (no more thnan once a fortnight), 3-5 minutes between sets.

i have also read you recover mostly wihtin 3 mininutes, and around 70% after 1 minute.

Last edited:
Heavier/multi body part sets - by my beginner standards, 3-4 minutes. But really, however long I need.
Smaller/lighters sets - a minute or two.
But really, that is just an average, I try and rest however long I think I need to complete the next set...

Hey,
I was just wondering if any one can offer their opinion on what is the optimal time to rest between sets of squats, bench press, and deadlifts.

Do you use shorter rest periods for accessory exercises such as bicep curls, skull crushers, flyes, etc?

thanks

Think of it this way.

If you can improve your ability to transport oxygen you will also improve your ability to work harder and more efficiently and recover faster.

Some figure sprinting or running is a good modality, but I reckon using weights at a fast intense pace is far more productive.
And safe.

I'm into my fifth week of 30sec. Between sets
Very much looking forward to going back to 1 minute+ rest between sets

Some guideline they have at asca.

Then it must be true!

Personally;
3-5 minutes for Squats, Bench & Deads
1-2 for compound assistance work (rows, DB press etc)
<1 for isolation work

Once I get down to single joint crap I tend to push the tempo a bit & see if I can get my HR up a little bit. ....

Recommendations from ASCA...

Then it must be true!

As an institution that specializes in increasing general athleticis and decreasing the rate of injuries for athletes, I feel that their recommendations do carry some weight. Believing their recommendations blindly and using them as dogma may not be a wise move.

Just read that Paul Anderson would often take up to 30 MINUTES between sets, drinking milk in between. One of his favourite workouts was to make a 400 yard golf straight with a hole on either end. He would set up a rack next to either hole, one with 400lb on it, which he would strict press for 3-5 reps a set with and the other with 800lb on in which he would do for 2-5 reps a set with. Then he would do a set, play golf until the ball was in the opposite hole, do another set on the other exercise and repeat all day!

Fuck, fair effort, what % of your usual lifts are you doing?

Enjoying it then?

Started doing it Pearljam with 70% less weight, 8-10 reps per set
The best thing about it is I'm done in 35 minutes but it does take a lot out of you, this'll be the last week before going back to my usual routine then I'll do it again in a couple of months.