• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rest times between sets

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
What are everyone's thoughts about rest times between sets? 30 seconds? 60 seconds? 2 minutes?

How long does everyone else like to rest for between sets?

A muscle takes 3 seconds to recover by around 50%

I think that if you are interested in strength AND conditioning, then rest should be minimal.

I dont really count, I go to the next exercise when I've got my breath back, and that varies depending on my condition at the time.

i aim for 60 sec or under, but being an unfit kunce, im still puffing after 60 sec on the compound stuff, go as long as 2min b/w squat sets and and 30 sec b/w small stuff like triceps.
Need to get fitter, will allow me to cut rest times.

I usually train at home, in the mornings before work with my ipad handy.

I go way to slack - in between sets reading the newspaper, websites like this etc.

I rest anywhere from 2m + I reckon on the main exercises - I'm going to try to cut this down going foward. Which will mean taking some weight off the bar I think unfortunately.

I tried 5 minutes between sets for 5x5 a while ago and didn't make great progress. It allowed me to lift very heavy (close to my 5rm max) but that 5rm max didnt go up.

When I was doing my own programming later (push/pull/legs) I did ok on 2-4 minutes for heavy, then much shorter for light sets (1-2min max). As I did both I'm not sure what I responded to better.

Now I'm doing 2-3 minutes as per Max OT, will be evaluating results in a few weeks...

a minute for me usually, when doing weights.
When doing cardio, i work on pulse rate. I rest until my heart rate is back at 130. If its less, I go again, if its above, I wait to do the next run/sprint until its come down.

No more than 60 seconds.
Any longer and I start to lose concentration and just want to make friends.

when I am training, around 60 seconds.

When I am testing on rare occasions with heavy weight sets (maybe once or twice a month), I take 2-3 minutes.

In training, anywhere from 2-8 minutes. Depends what it is, how heavy it is and how's my more sets I need to get through.