• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shoulder Issue, What do you think?

misslifty

Hey,

I have been having this pain down the middle of my side delt going down nearly to my elbow. Mainly when heavy benching.

Physio today diagnosed it as a tight chest is pulling the shoulder forward causing a closing of space (impingement) of my upper BICEP TENDON.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks

Try a physio who looks after power lifters. I can give you one in Brisbane if you pm me.

Just do more back work.
I got a similar problem about 6 months ago, threw more back work in and eased off on the heavy bench for a bit. Can also try some reverse grip bench work and warm up with some pull thrus with a broom stick or towel and those rotator cuff movements with a mid pulley or band

My chronic impingement disappeared when I started doing 2:1 for chest vs upper back movements.

you are strong...

Starting a powerlifting career at your age could be tricky, Heavy weight/minimal reps, I'd be focusing more time spent on doing exercises that are safer to your body using a lighter weight in the high rep world, the powerlifting style bench-press is IMO not about biulding healthy shoulders.

Lifting for the older trainee, in a PL stlye practice places a lot of stress on soft tissue, and joints, tendons and ligaments

you are strong...

Starting a powerlifting career at your age could be tricky, Heavy weight/minimal reps, I'd be focusing more time spent on doing exercises that are safer to your body using a lighter weight in the high rep world, the powerlifting style bench-press is IMO not about biulding healthy shoulders.

Lifting for the older trainee, in a PL stlye practice places a lot of stress on soft tissue, and joints, tendons and ligaments

That is what I was afraid of, I discovered lifting a little late in life. Mentally all these little things are snowballing on me.

The strange thing though, is that if it is impingement of the shoulder on the tendon, you would think I would have shoulder PAIN, but I don't. The PAIN runs down the side of my bicep.

Thsnks

I have constant pain in the chest caused by tightening in the back. You can only work through it for so long unfortunately.

That is what I was afraid of, I discovered lifting a little late in life. Mentally all these little things are snowballing on me.

The strange thing though, is that if it is impingement of the shoulder on the tendon, you would think I would have shoulder PAIN, but I don't. The PAIN runs down the side of my bicep.

Thsnks

Yeah, that's odd.

Any tingling in the forearm as well?

it could be referred pain @misslifty ; there could be some nerve impingment at the neck, or under the shoulder blade.

I'd visit another physio.

Last edited: