• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shredding advice

So does your metabolism speed up or slow down at different times? Like when your asleep is it just as fast as when you're awake? If it does slow down, wouldn't that mean food ingested during this period is more likely to turn into fat - ie stored as excess because it is not required by active cell metabolism?

Likewise, when your body is in a state of high metabolism such as after a work out, more nutrients are going to be used? i.e less stored?

Or.. MB, are you saying that due to the gut/liver/intestines only being able to process so much food per hour, the impact of metabolism is negligible?

I see the point about pre-workout nutrition negating the need for post-workout drinks... What were the pre-workout meals? For me, I take a high GI carb with some EAA's... so these obviously digest quickly. The reason is that I don't want a mass of food sitting in my gut during a workout. I assume a post-workout does become important in this context. Would you agree?

This seems slightly irregular:
"In terms of application, I’ve consistently observed the effectiveness of having approximately a quarter of your target bodyweight in both the pre- and post-exercise meal." ...?

On your point about metabolic rate, the most contributing factor to it is a calorie deficit. Calorie deficits cause a down grade on metabolic rate in line with body composition. Less Mass requires less energy etc. So food being in the gut etc has no effecting on how 'fast' or 'slow' your metabolism is.

Our body's are breaking down and re-synthesizing every second of the day. That is why timing is not relevant to anyone but an endurance athlete (performing glycogen depletion activities) on a back to back basis in a course of a day.

So on your point of having 'fast' carbs and EAA's before training there is no real need for them. If you have been consuming meals before you train. I stress the fact to you that, foods will be digesting over many hours (200grms protein = at least 20 hours of continual digestion time) so your body will have a consistent supply of nutrients at all times. Maybe the only time that sort of supplementation would be necessary is if training after a PROLONGED FAST.

I certainly agree with the statement of not wanting a 'gut full' of food when training, and I suggest to most of my clients to avoid eating a meal in the 2 hours before training to avoid stomach upset etc. So Alan's observation of consuming 25% calories 'before' training and 25% of calories 'after' training can be taken a number of different ways but common sense would say that he is not suggesting you do that 1 hour before training, more so a generalization of the whole situation and irrelevance of nutrient timing.

My 2 cents.

Chose the foods that offer you the best bang for buck. This is especially important for anyone dieting. Especially foods that fill you up.

Chose the amount of carbohydrates that are relevant for your genetics, training and body type.

Max Brenner have a read of this from Lyle:

"Tangentially, I’d note that this seems to be related to inherent levels of insulin sensitivity. Individuals with good insulin sensitivity, who typically run well on carbohydrates, tend to not do well on low-carbohydrate diets. In contrast, individuals with insulin resistance often do far better reducing carbohydrates and that often means going to ketogenic levels. Finally, some people seem to have the metabolic flexibility to do well with either diet."

So the carbohydrate amount can vary from individual to individual.
And with regards to nutrient timing, wouldn't you say its more important to have carbohydrates around training time than whether its at night or not. If you train at night and have carbs after training then the whole "don't eat carbs at night" myth is probably irrelevant.

At the end of the day its horses for courses.
A person that is overweight will have different insulin sensitivity and carbohydrate needs than someone who is relatively lean.

My 2 cents.

Chose the foods that offer you the best bang for buck. This is especially important for anyone dieting. Especially foods that fill you up.

Chose the amount of carbohydrates that are relevant for your genetics, training and body type.

Max Brenner have a read of this from Lyle:

"Tangentially, I’d note that this seems to be related to inherent levels of insulin sensitivity. Individuals with good insulin sensitivity, who typically run well on carbohydrates, tend to not do well on low-carbohydrate diets. In contrast, individuals with insulin resistance often do far better reducing carbohydrates and that often means going to ketogenic levels. Finally, some people seem to have the metabolic flexibility to do well with either diet."

So the carbohydrate amount can vary from individual to individual.
And with regards to nutrient timing, wouldn't you say its more important to have carbohydrates around training time than whether its at night or not. If you train at night and have carbs after training then the whole "don't eat carbs at night" myth is probably irrelevant.

At the end of the day its horses for courses.
A person that is overweight will have different insulin sensitivity and carbohydrate needs than someone who is relatively lean.

I certainly agree that individual carbohydrate needs will vary from person to person and depending on ones appetite/ Ghrelin levels, certain forms of carbohydrate maybe a 'better' option than another for hunger etc. Again it depends on the person. I can't even stomach a 100 grams of cooked rice to save my life. But it certainly doesn't mean you can't be flexible in the types of foods you consume and the times you consume them.

Yes I have read that article from Lyle and do totally agree with the insulin sensitivity part as personally I function much better on a 'keto' style diet protocol. But for body composition results, it means very little as to when I consume my required carbohydrates.

For performance levels, if an individual is following a 'keto' style diet, a TKD is what uses that theory. l think that is a whole different kettle of fish compared to what we are all discussing. But then again so is CKD when you are consuming the bulk of your carbohydrates in a 24-36 hour period. So again timing become irrelevant with that example as it would if you where following a standardized diet with a higher level of carbohydrates than in Keto.