• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Straps

pistachio

Who uses them?

Tried them for the first time yesterday for shrugs, was fucking awesome. Could lift a LOT heavier than usual, and traps are killing me this morning. I'm thinking this might actually beef up my traps considerably (they are woefully small and out of proportion at the moment).

Only prob is, the straps ate into my wrist big time. Almost bled actually. Do you adjust to this, or is it just a reality if you are lifting heavy?

I wouldn't use the straps for deadlifts btw, or anything else really. Just heavy shrugs so I can start doing 200kg + shrugs.

no i dont use them, but only because i don't have any. Would probably use them if i had some.

Why wouldn't you use them for deadlifts? Your not competiting in any powerlifting comps soon..

no i dont use them, but only because i don't have any. Would probably use them if i had some.

Why wouldn't you use them for deadlifts? Your not competiting in any powerlifting comps soon..

I don't use them for deadlifts because I don't have too. Grip is fine. But with shrugs, I just can't hold 200kgs for long enough. Plus, I used a mixed grip for deadlifts, but a pure overhand grip for shrugs. Much harder to hold a heavier weight with an overhand grip.

I don't use them for deadlifts because I don't have too. Grip is fine. But with shrugs, I just can't hold 200kgs for long enough. Plus, I used a mixed grip for deadlifts, but a pure overhand grip for shrugs. Much harder to hold a heavier weight with an overhand grip.
have u tried hook grip?

I use hook grip for deads and never really have had any grip problems but use straps on high rep dead sets so I don't shred my thumbs.

Use straps for pretty much every back exercise...makes me lift more why wouldnt u!

Use straps for pretty much every back exercise...makes me lift more why wouldnt u!

Did you see the massive FB fiasco between Middleton and a BB posse about deadlifts and straps?

Was very entertaining.

I've got some, but I haven't used them yet as I haven't had to. I will though if my grip fails, but so far so good.

Cliff notes?

BBer with great physique put up PB 300kg deadlift vid.

Ugly as hell, hitched, used straps.

Middleton says great effort, and acknowledges that mr BBer has a great physique, but the deadlift was ugly, and he used straps.

BBer agrees, admits best pull without is ~280kg

BBer's fan club rips into Middleton calling him un-asthetic

Middleton rips back

Starts WWIII

We all laughed.

Did you see the massive FB fiasco between Middleton and a BB posse about deadlifts and straps?

Was very entertaining.

lol yea saw that....I dont have a problem with a bber using straps...its just when "powerlifters" use them that I have a prob with...

Was talking to Matty the other week and he isnt doing anything powerlifting this yr just bodybuilding...should be interesting to see! - he will give it 110%!

As he does with everything!

Hopefully that gives me a chance to get closer to his numbers, then he comes and lifts with us again.

I only use straps if its a must. Only really use them on dumbbell lunges where my grip starts to give way after swapping legs and i dont like to rest between legs so I use the straps then

I'm thinking about getting some for shrugs if it means I can lift more that has got to be a good thing

My traps are still killing me after doing 2 sets of heavy shrugs on Monday. I think I'm on to a winner. Will try this for a few months, see if my traps finally start to catch up to some of the big boys.