• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Straps

Got them but don't use them. I used to, when I was just softcocking around and never moved much weight so was all a bit of a toss. Now I'm on a solid programme and increasing my lifts I find I don't need the straps. But my traps come along without shrugs so I haven't incorporated them into my programme. If I did shrugs I might revert to straps. Or maybe even when doing rack pulls. Don't need them for my Barbell rows either at present.

They do completely remove any grip issues though, which isn't a bad thing. I'm just training for powerlifting numbers at present so sticking to deads with no straps.

Speaking of which, off to do my 190kg PPP Deadlift week 2 session now. Cya all tomorrow...

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
How tight are the straps meant to be around your wrists?

I understand they're meant to support your wrists and aid grip but to what extent?

I used them on bench this morning and they worked fine for the exercise but post training my wrists are so red and really sensitive to touch... looks like I had a big night participating in BDSM or something lol

How tight are the straps meant to be around your wrists?

I understand they're meant to support your wrists and aid grip but to what extent?

I used them on bench this morning and they worked fine for the exercise but post training my wrists are so red and really sensitive to touch... looks like I had a big night participating in BDSM or something lol

I think you're talking about wrist wraps and not straps,
Wraps = Pushing
Straps = Pulling.

I dont have my wraps too tight. I feel the pressure from them but they dont leave red marks or anything. Straps on the other hand cut in nearly the first x amount of times using them then soften up.

I have my wraps pretty bloody tight for my heavy sets...then I will loosen them for lighter sets!

I used them on bench this morning
on bench this morning

bench this morning

bench this morning
neutral-poker-face-2.png

why on bench???

ruff; if your talking about "wraps" i wrap mine as tight as i can on heavy sets of bench, and slightly less for squats.

I think you're talking about wrist wraps and not straps,
Wraps = Pushing
Straps = Pulling.

I dont have my wraps too tight. I feel the pressure from them but they dont leave red marks or anything. Straps on the other hand cut in nearly the first x amount of times using them then soften up.

nope defs talking about straps lol maybe I used them for the wrong reason but I have in the past found them useful for supporting my wrists on bench. from time to time I get a sharp pain through my.. thumb muscles? :/ at the bottom of my palm on heavy bench but no such pain when using the straps..

I bought a cheap pair of Valeo cotton lifting straps for fun really, I can always stop using them if deemed inappropriate lol and yeah I'll wash them a few times and hopefully they will soften up.

So would you suggest buying wraps for bench and then using my straps for deadlifts?

nope defs talking about straps lol maybe I used them for the wrong reason but I have in the past found them useful for supporting my wrists on bench. from time to time I get a sharp pain through my.. thumb muscles? :/ at the bottom of my palm on heavy bench but no such pain when using the straps..

I bought a cheap pair of Valeo cotton lifting straps for fun really, I can always stop using them if deemed inappropriate lol and yeah I'll wash them a few times and hopefully they will soften up.

So would you suggest buying wraps for bench and then using my straps for deadlifts?

What did you do - wrap them around the bar and then bench??? :confused:

Def wraps for bench (pushing exercises) /straps for deads (pulling exercises)

What did you do - wrap them around the bar and then bench??? :confused:

Def wraps for bench (pushing exercises) /straps for deads (pulling exercises)

haha yeah pretty much.. I just pulled them tight and basically cupped them onto the bar (making sure theyre tight to support my wrist), didn't need to wrap them around twice.. I thought they worked a treat but I'm obviously doing it wrong.

feeling stupid now...

I tried to research different types of straps and what they're used for but struggled to find anything specific. Where could I buy a cheap pair of WRAPS from? lol

Just google "lifting wrist wraps" - there is heaps of places...only normally cost $20-$30

haha yeah pretty much.. I just pulled them tight and basically cupped them onto the bar (making sure theyre tight to support my wrist), didn't need to wrap them around twice.. I thought they worked a treat but I'm obviously doing it wrong.

feeling stupid now...

I tried to research different types of straps and what they're used for but struggled to find anything specific. Where could I buy a cheap pair of WRAPS from? lol
Titan Australia | Powerlifting Gear and Training Equipment

the RPM wrist wraps are softer, THP wraps are harder, i find the longer the better (i have used the short ones and liked them, but i recently got the medium length and like them more)
i have used both THP and RPM.... i cant say i prefer one over the other, they are both nice, the THP just need to break in a bit and take some getting used to

Titan Australia | Powerlifting Gear and Training Equipment

the RPM wrist wraps are softer, THP wraps are harder, i find the longer the better (i have used the short ones and liked them, but i recently got the medium length and like them more)
i have used both THP and RPM.... i cant say i prefer one over the other, they are both nice, the THP just need to break in a bit and take some getting used to

Thanks Callan, I like the sound of the THP but is $50 value for money in your opinion?

I'd expect wrists of steel if I paid that much

Thanks Callan, I like the sound of the THP but is $50 value for money in your opinion?

I'd expect wrists of steel if I paid that much
i have the 50cm THPs, i could barely bend my wrists if i tried as had as i could. so the longer ones would be solid. i will warn that they do take some getting used to, as they do hurt until they soften up a bit lol just got to harden up :p

i also got 24" RPM's, softer then the THP but still give great support

for the 40 bucks id say wither are worth it, and thats for the longest (36") pair (have not used the longest b4 so i cant comment on them, but common sense would tell me that they give better support again over the 50cm and 24")

Last edited:
I've just got some wraps from Underground elite. They're solid for sure, l only use them for OHP though as l dont like using them for my bench.

Ruff, straps are definitely for pulling as mentioned. Wraps is probably what you're after.

Straps on the bench would have been interesting to watch ;)

ruff; if your talking about "wraps" i wrap mine as tight as i can on heavy sets of bench, and slightly less for squats.

Callan taking nothing away from your lifting because you are doing great but are you really using wraps for a under 100kg bench. Why??

I bought the Metal wrist wraps from UGE a while ago as I was really bending my wrist back coming up out of the hole when squatting, this was causing me to get sore wrists. I used them for about a month and now I don't have to as I have got my form down pat, I can attest that they help me keep my wrist form under the bar until I learnt to do it myself. They are a great investment, I recommend them for sure.