• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength and Fitness Assessment - Dragonboat Vic State team

adamklam

Squat Rack Pro Curler
Just looking for some thoughts on the following exercises which make up the strength and fitness component of entry into the national and state squads:

Upright row/snatch – 2 minutes
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCo3ktNFJl8]YouTube - Aus Squad 2011 Trials, Upright Row & Snatch Test[/ame]

One arm snatch – 2+2 minutes
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmMsd3iKAM]YouTube - Aus Squad 2011 Trials One-Arm Snatch Test[/ame]

4162010103910AM_doublefacepalm.jpg

As I said on startingstrength.com, since the coach has an Eastern European accent, he must know everything!

Thanks guys - that was my initial reaction as well, but I actually need some constructive feedback else things will never change.

I like my sport but its going down the tube atm.

Just some other points to date
- a lot of people who have tried out have come away injured (specifically paddlers from other Victorian teams)
- the navy paddlers (40+ paddlers) were forbidden by the navy PTs from doing the testing due to concerns of injuries
- the team that gets coached by the national coach (in the videos above) do very well in victoria winning most events (big fish/small pond), however they do not place in the top 5 in national competition
- the coach is a very well respected olympic canoeing and kayaking coach.. but in my opinion that doesn't mean a qualification for strength and conditioning

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a snatch performed in either of those videos. I'm not sure what kind of feedback you're after, you just asked for peoples thoughts on the exercises and the face palm pretty well summed it up.

yep definitely agree with the face palm - and that there was no true snatches performed (either one or two handed) in these videos.

I suppose I am looking for some help to put a case as to why this is fail rather than just saying it is.

Pretty much, why its not suitable, and what would be better.

My suggestion was to squat, bench, deadlift, barbell row, but was rejected as they can get more reps with these movements...

What does getting more reps mean though? or in the context of rowing ect I can get more strokes per minute by doing a reduced range of movement on the ergo, but you wouldn't have a test for who can do the most strokes in two minutes.

It basically turns what is a strength/endurance test into a speed test (and there are already plenty of those judging from the other criteria used.

Actually the 2 minute ergo test is interesting as well, since that's basically a test of pure power production. Anybody who does strength training should dominate in that (As I discovered one day when my gym had a c2 sprint race) (plus this video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y01GyGefiU]YouTube - Mariusz Pudzianowski vs. Pawe? Randa - Ergowios?a .mp4[/ame])

For testing apart from these exercises there is also:
1km Run
2min Pushups (lockout -> elbows to 90degrees)
2min Situps
2min Ergo Paddle

My real concern is that we have a few paddlers who are trying out for the state squad for the upcoming nationals, and I do not want them to get injured from the tests at the top.

I have always thought that performance in a sport should be measured by performance in a sport. Rather than by other things.

I mean... pushups? 1km run?

Just get them out on the water and see how they go.