• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

struggle to eat enough

I couldn't really get some serious food down until I started ketogenic dieting.
Carbs I cap out at maybe 3500kcal
Meat I can eat seemingly endless amounts.

I couldn't really get some serious food down until I started ketogenic dieting.
Carbs I cap out at maybe 3500kcal
Meat I can eat seemingly endless amounts.

Its funny, usually one of the positives people sprout about keto is that it is much more filling.

I don't know, I just eat a lot what ever the food.

Its funny, usually one of the positives people sprout about keto is that it is much more filling.

I don't know, I just eat a lot what ever the food.

Yeah I never got that at all.
Maybe for middle aged ladies, 800g of steak is more than enough
I would happily eat 10,000kcal a day

You get less out of more though.
Ketogenic dieting the average person can probably get away with 3000kcal a day where they may be eating 2000 before

gotta stretch your stomach by eating till you nearly spew every meal. you'll adapt eventually
dat's it.. gotta stretch to make space

do a couple of all-you-can-eat pizza nights ($5 dominoshits) and it might help :)

or have 11ty million minimeals every 5 minutes

You get less out of more though.
Ketogenic dieting the average person can probably get away with 3000kcal a day where they may be eating 2000 before

Not sure about that. I'm losing weight on more calories now than when I was doing the very low carb thing.

I put it down to burning more calories due to actually having energy to do exercise and not feeling like shit all the time.

I'm losing weight on about 4000 calories at the moment. During footy season if I don't eat 5000 I lose weight.

Not sure about that. I'm losing weight on more calories now than when I was doing the very low carb thing.

I put it down to burning more calories due to actually having energy to do exercise and not feeling like shit all the time.

I'm losing weight on about 4000 calories at the moment. During footy season if I don't eat 5000 I lose weight.

It's hard to really know what's going on here unless I see a complete breakdown of the diets and activity levels lol. Could be any number of things. Took me a month or so of tweaking before I hit the sweet spot that's for sure.

Interestingly, I never felt shit though. I slipped into keto within the first few days. I remember the first week being hard but it was more craving than anything

What would a typical 3,500kJ brekky consist of?

First it was calories, no kJ :)

Breakfast burrito, with sausage, egg, bacon, hash brown, cheese, salsa and sour cream
Leftover KFC hot n spicy
A pint of full fat iced coffee
Stack of pancakes with berries, syrup and mascarpone cheese
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It's hard to really know what's going on here unless I see a complete breakdown of the diets and activity levels lol. Could be any number of things. Took me a month or so of tweaking before I hit the sweet spot that's for sure.

Interestingly, I never felt shit though. I slipped into keto within the first few days. I remember the first week being hard but it was more craving than anything

I have my low carb diets on a computer somewhere but I've done it enough times now to know that low carb works like shit for me.

No strength, feel like shit all the time. Playing footy I would loose all energy after about 20 minutes. Carbs seem to just work really well for me so I'm not going back.

fuck i envy you guys being able to hamdle all that food, i get bloated at the thought of food. stupid gastric reflux.

my typical daily diet is

breakfast - bowl of cereal
morning meal @ 10:30 - 200g-250g chicken of some sort with 200g-250g potato/sweet potato
lunch @ 1:30 - two sandwiches consisting of wholemeal bread, 125g of protein in each sandwich (total 250g) (i change every week what i put in them sometimes its burgers sometimes its roast chicken, sausages etc. all sorts of different things) slice of cheese in each and sauce or mayo.
afternoon meal @ 3:30 - protein shake at approx 600cal
training after work
post workout - protein shake at approx 600cal
dinner - whatever is being cooked at home but it will be some form of protein carb and veg eg. curry and rice, steak chips and eggs, chicken with mash and veges, bangers and mash with veg.

thanks for all the suggestions,
i know my breakfast is small but i find whenever i have a big breakfast i stay stuffed for most of the day so i keep it simple.
i have picked up some macadamia oil to add into my shakes to get some more calories from them if i add a couple of table spoons to each shake that should net me and extra 500 to 600cal that should help bring the total figures up

my typical daily diet is:

<filling low calorie foods>

Your choice of foods looks like what one would eat if cutting.

Sure eat some veggies and lean meats. If you struggle to eat a shitload of them however, then you really need to get stuck into double cheeseburgers, fried chicken, schnitzels, meatlovers pizza... all the good stuff.

Brown bead is filling, piss that shit off and eat white, preferably in the form of burger buns. Your dinner is missing icecream in a big way.

Your choice of foods looks like what one would eat if cutting.

Sure eat some veggies and lean meats. If you struggle to eat a shitload of them however, then you really need to get stuck into double cheeseburgers, fried chicken, schnitzels, meatlovers pizza... all the good stuff.

Brown bead is filling, piss that shit off and eat white, preferably in the form of burger buns. Your dinner is missing icecream in a big way.

^^^ This.

You are eating a cutting diet and wondering why you are losing weight:confused:

Get into some real food.

You need to eat, you are seriously not having a go, cereal for breakfast is a joke, my kids don't even eat that crap, my 8 year old has four slices of toast and two poached eggs and a huge glass of milk every morning. He would laugh at me if I gave him a bowl of cereal, he would probably report me to DOCS.

Actually looking at what you eat it's probably less than what my 8 year old eats in a day, and he is skinny as a rake and does not eat a lot.

200grams of chicken is not a meal it's a mouth full, seriously you can't be wondering why you are not putting on mass when you don't eat, what is supposed to fuel the growth??

^^^ This.

You are eating a cutting diet and wondering why you are losing weight:confused:

Get into some real food.

You need to eat, you are seriously not having a go, cereal for breakfast is a joke, my kids don't even eat that crap, my 8 year old has four slices of toast and two poached eggs and a huge glass of milk every morning. He would laugh at me if I gave him a bowl of cereal, he would probably report me to DOCS.

Actually looking at what you eat it's probably less than what my 8 year old eats in a day, and he is skinny as a rake and does not eat a lot.

200grams of chicken is not a meal it's a mouth full, seriously you can't be wondering why you are not putting on mass when you don't eat, what is supposed to fuel the growth??

hence my original question of anything to enhance appetite or ways i can get more calories from not much more volume, no need for so much animousity.
i have already stated multiple times i know i needed to eat more telling me how much your 8 year old eats is not helping anyone. i bet i can fingerpaint better than him so there... lol
whenever i eat much more than that in one sitting i get mad reflux and sit there bloated, burping and on the verge of vomitting for hours, not enjoyable
i already stated why i eat cereal and that i know its a weak point but i have tried having big breakfasts and it fucks me for the day.

some people have offered good suggestions which i have taken on board and will try to incorporate them in to my diet to build some more calories. thanks

If I can eat enough, anyone can

ANY. ONE.

(just ask anyone on the forum)
[MENTION=12357]d1mitch[/MENTION]; it seems to me that you are eating volume but relatively low kj foods.
You need to work in some fats and more macronutrient dense foods.
My appetite comes and goes and I still have days when I struggle to reach my kcal targets for the day (worst case is i make up for it next day).

I agree with Semillon ... you probably need some ice cream in there but also nut butters, cheese, whatever fits your macro targets.

Last edited:
fuck i envy you guys being able to hamdle all that food, i get bloated at the thought of food. stupid gastric reflux.

my typical daily diet is

breakfast - bowl of cereal

There is your problem
Low blood sugar = hunger
Save your carbs until after you train. Maybe 30g of sugar with a pre-workout shake if you lack energy

There is your problem
Low blood sugar = hunger
Save your carbs until after you train. Maybe 30g of sugar with a pre-workout shake if you lack energy

how do you mean? are you imlpying eating cereal is giving me high blood sugar?
i dont train till the arvo though? and if i already struggle to eat enough calories with carbs how am i going to get up to a reasonable level without them.

Fuck, cereal for breakfast is fine.

cant beat a big bowl of cereal :)

try getting a nutty/more dense cereals, full cream milk and add a scoop of whey that will pack in the fats
add heaps of mayo to your sandwiches
eat ice cream after dinner

Fuck, cereal for breakfast is fine.

how do you mean? are you imlpying eating cereal is giving me high blood sugar?
i dont train till the arvo though? and if i already struggle to eat enough calories with carbs how am i going to get up to a reasonable level without them.

The whole point of eating cereal for breakfast is that it keeps you full lol. That's WHY you eat it and how it's marketed.

Eggs, steak and nuts for breakfast.
Lunch should be something fairly light as you need to train.
30g of sugar will be fine pre workout for energy.
Smash back the calories post training when you'll be hungriest and most insulin sensitive. Focus on meat first then work your way into the starches and vegetables.
With lower blood sugar you'll be hungrier. You don't need a lot of "energy" to train. If your sets are shorter than 7 seconds you're using ATP stores. Up to 30 seconds is the muscles glycogen. You can store 2,500kcal in glycogen and this is PLENTY to last you through the day and training. Yeah it will suck the first week. Just take some stimulants an hour before you train

You struggle to eat enough because you're eating low calorie foods.
Instead of breast- go for wings
Cook your shit in animal fat, butter or olive oil and drink it after
Stews are kind of the shit. Find the fattiest mince you can and chop up some onions and add some starches, beans and you have a mean ass chili. Darkoz is a fan of goulash. Any kind of stew is good but make sure you drink all the juices! This is the goodness and calories. Fats are probably the best and easiest way to increase calories. Save your carbs until last in the meal and you'll be able to eat way more.

I was always a little fucking faggit when it came to eating and it took a lot of trial and error before I found out how to eat seriously as it does not come naturally to me. Keeping the blood sugar on the low side and eating plenty fats. is the key if you have trouble.

I'd start by taking your body weight, multiplying it by 3 and having that in fats a day from animal sources. So if you're 90kg then 270g of fats a day is a good amount. With hamburger mince that is 1.4kg of mince which you can EASILY eat in one sitting. 400g for lunch, 200g for breakfast and 800g for dinner is literally no issue at all. Then just fill up on carbs and veges

Page 5 and you're the first person to mention activity levels, I'm surprised it took so long.

OP could always try adding 5km runs/HIIT on a bike every couple of days into his routine? if he hasn't already done so.

I have no problems eating food (I love it.. too much) but when I start doing more intense cardio I eat huge amounts of food and still lose weight.