• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

the art of bodybuilding?

spartacus

http://ergo-log.com/musclefocus.html

In the gym there's no exercise that trains only the muscle group you want to stimulate. Other groups are always involved. That's why it's not so easy to achieve directed growth of particular parts of the body. If you have strong shoulders and weak chest muscles, it's pretty difficult to develop good pecs. Or is it not that difficult after all? Sports scientists at the University of South Carolina Upstate discovered a very simple method. Focus.

So focus may be just as strong a stimulus as actual physical intensity of the exercise -like Bodybuilders always say "mind muscle connection"

"Focusing your attention on a muscle group while performing a set increases the intensity with which your muscle takes part in the movement. Isolating muscles is a matter of good ol' fashioned focus & concentration. The researchers had the women train at 30 percent of their maximal strength. That's too light. Bodybuilders train at 60-85 percent of their maximum. The researchers don't know whether using focus to isolate a muscle group works as well at higher intensity."

that is what gary lewer and a few of my mates always emphasised. They put form first by focusing on the targeted muscle rather than merely go for heavy weights.

It makes sense that skill application is evident in such bb style, as it is with regard to heavy powerlifts.

This seems like a very low-level test. It sounds like the chicks had never done the exercise before. So really, perhaps the takeaway is "if someone tells you to do an exercise differently, and then you try to do it differently, you'll use different muscles" ???

Nothing novel about that.

so you reckon bb's don't have an ability to get more out of an exercise in terms of targeted muscle when compared to someone just trying to get exercise completed.

I think they do.

So focus may be just as strong a stimulus as actual physical intensity of the exercise -like Bodybuilders always say "mind muscle connection"

"Focusing your attention on a muscle group while performing a set increases the intensity with which your muscle takes part in the movement. Isolating muscles is a matter of good ol' fashioned focus & concentration. The researchers had the women train at 30 percent of their maximal strength. That's too light. Bodybuilders train at 60-85 percent of their maximum. The researchers don't know whether using focus to isolate a muscle group works as well at higher intensity."

I think it's a factor, but the intensity "of work" is key and the major and possibly only factor.

if the intensity of work is super high, your mind is 100% focused on the task at hand, it has to be.

Isn't this just common sense (or it should be) when it comes to training? If I am training chest I am not thinking about my back, or what I am having for dinner etc etc.....I am thinking about my chest.....

Isn't this just common sense (or it should be) when it comes to training? If I am training chest I am not thinking about my back, or what I am having for dinner etc etc.....I am thinking about my chest.....
What about the hot chick on the treadmill you saw on the way in?

What about the hot chick on the treadmill you saw on the way in?

**** Think about hot chick

**** Prep for set

**** Perform set (focus on the muscle)|

**** Have a drink

**** Think about hot chick

- Repeat :cool:

More inportantly, you're visualising the set in your head, prior to doing it, you're visualising the muscles stretching and contracting while performing the exercise.

no, a powerlifter and bb can both train chest, but totally different approach.

Maybe gary lewer can come on here of here and explain.

Of course - again that should be common sense lol.....bodybuilding and powerlifting are different, you have a different goal...

A bodybuilder is focusing on the muscle, focusing on it working

A powerlifting is focusing on technique, form, focusing on the movement, tuck your elbows, keep your head up, power from the hips etc etc

Yep, when a Powerlifter does a Bench Press he's just trying to get the weight up so Shoulders and Tri's are dominant. When a Bodybuilder Bench Presses, he may drop the weight abit, get more mind muscle connection into the Chest, making the Chest work more than the pure Powerlifter.

I hope that's a good example of what the article is saying?