• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time for a fat tax ?

they are one of the few foods that are not already taxed....

so maybe the GST IS a fat tax already?

but potatos make people fat too...

only green veges should be taxed. white ones are cool except cauliflower, the vegetable tax will be quite complicated but im sure everyone will benefit

Junk food companies and lack of playgrounds behind obesity crisis, academic says | News.com.au

FAT people are not to blame for being overweight, a top Melbourne academic claims.
Dr Samantha Thomas, who spoke at the annual Castan Centre for Human Rights Law Conference in Melbourne, said the war on obesity was failing because society put too much emphasis on personal responsibility.
"Obesity rates are still increasing because we put all the responsibility on the individual, but are completely reluctant to tackle the corporations that are part of the cause - the junk food companies, the soft drink companies, even the town planners who design new suburbs with no backyards or playgrounds," Dr Thomas said.

blame everyone but the person putting the food in their mouth...
"Junk food is heavily marketed at children and adolescents but, instead of trying to stop that, we just put all the responsibility on parents."
what?.. parents are not supposed to be 100% responsible for their children??

parents being responsible for their own kids , who would think up such a thought , geez what the hell have those academics been smoking , pppf fancy saying parents need to look after their kids

Think back to the 50's, 3 square meals a day, meat/veg & carbs were the staple. Women were homemakers & child rearers, husbands were the bread winners.

Fast forward to today, where women are career orientated, even after they've made the choice to have children. Food itself is supplied with immediacy & convenience. Day care costs are ridiculous, the cost of living is ridiculous & take away food or 'fast food' has become the 'norm' for many households? Parents are busier & never has there been more pressure to work hard to achieve the lifestyle people desire?

The result? We have the fattest generation of children, ever.
Adults are more stressed out, financially strung out & children are largely raised & educated by our government systems.

Healthcare is strained, mental health is strained & people are fatter.

I think there's a miriad of reasons for this, its not 'just' sugar, its not 'just' fat, its our current lifestyles? A lack of balance? A lack of focus on the basic fundamentals that used to be the norm?

There is no 'answer' to this. But I think the focus needs to be on solutions, rather than 'blame'.

Excellent post. The women's liberation movement made us fat and stressed and doubled the cost of living. They didn't liberate themselves, they enslaved the world.

Not really serious but fuck, I can't fault the logic. :D

Excellent post. The women's liberation movement made us fat and stressed and doubled the cost of living. They didn't liberate themselves, they enslaved the world.

Mwahahaha

Well it certainly had an effect on our lifestyle, thats fo sho! Along with the evolution of everything else lol

Typical female meddling with things they shouldnt :p

Back on topic:
Instead of a fat tax, why not make nutritionalist visits tax deductible, or bulk billed? And gym memberships too, except how do you prevent people from not turning up?

Typical female meddling with things they shouldnt :p

Back on topic:
Instead of a fat tax, why not make nutritionalist visits tax deductible, or bulk billed? And gym memberships too, except how do you prevent people from not turning up?

Mass electronic check in system that is centrally controlled and audited. Don't turn up twice a week minimum and you fail :)

How about we as a society take out a lot more of the convenience factor from day to day life and make it harder to overeat and under exercise.

There a few companies that provide free gyms and encourage their workers to use them or at least for their office workers.

If employment and insurance keeps moving towards the US system, your health and fitness becomes an employment issue. i.e your boss and company can order you to get fit if you want to keep your job.

At the moment that sort of thing only applies in a few areas where there are health and fitness requirements for the job .

take away Maccas drivethru...
no fastfood shops below 5th floor of a building, and only with stair access?

if you use 5 calories per flight of stairs...
the average larger person would have to climb 200 flights of stairs to earn their medium big mac meal...

we could start a whole new industry...
each tall building with stairs can have a "stairs guy" that can put stamps in a "fatty passport" showing how many stairs they have climbed.. and thus how many bigmacs they are allowed to eat.

no stamp, no burger...

or a "fat permit" trading system (like carbon trading)
each person gets say... 3000calories of free permits (based on BMR), and can sell their permits when dieting :D

or maybe we shoudl just encourage more "fatty sexercise" clubs... to promote enjoyable exercise....

might dissuade people from losing past a certain amount tho...

I got pizza, delivered. Did I fail?

It was low carb base though. And I ate it whilst transporting 600kg of weights from my car to my garage :D

I got pizza, delivered. Did I fail?

It was low carb base though. And I ate it whilst transporting 600kg of weights from my car to my garage :D
when they eventually make a law in Australia, that you are not allowed to eat junk food in front of "large" people (because it makes them want to eat more).. i'm leaving...