• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tips and Thought on my diet.

Mark M

I have read a lot of Fadi's threads and have also done my own research. I was wondering if people could clarify a few things for me.

Firstly a bit about me.. 20yo, 178cm, 70kg estimated body fat 10%

My goal is to get to around 80kg - 85kg+ whilst maintaining low body fat (if possible).

I don't normally monitor my food which is probably why I only weigh 70kg.
Aside from the last two weeks (wrist surgery and back injury, not related to my workouts) I exercise 2-3 times a week. Workouts include 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps of squat, chin, bench and my alternate being deadlift, t-bar row and body dips. I also play volleyball and indoor soccer once each per week.

I was looking at the RDA of 2000 - 2500cal for average man (sedentary) which i then figured for an active man of my stature maybe Fadi's thread titled "3200cal food plan" would suit me well? Now i didn't follow the exact ingredients but did keep the proportions similar with protein, carbs and fat.

I made a batch of tuna and ricotta salad (115g pro, 98g carb and 57g fat) with the total Calorie count being 1500 calories.

I grazed on that as well as 2 large bananas, 2 plums, 2 large glass's of low fat milk (800ml), 500ml of OJ and 1.5L of water.

I calculated the total calorie count as 2500. All day i struggled to eat all this food which apparently is the "recommended amount. So i fell short of the targeted 3200.

Calories were made up from - Protein: 151g, 26% l Carbs: 281g, 45% l Fat 70g, 28%

My question is, since i had trouble eating the 2500 cals should I just see how i progress with this amount or should i really aim for the 3200 cals?

Also tips on how to eat more calories aswell as other points are more then welcome..

Cheers.

Last edited:
Google maintainance calories. Find out what yours are and add 500.

40/40/20 split of protein carbs and fats should suffice.

Or you could just eat nice big meals and add 1l of full cream milk, and lift big.

"If your hungry, your not eating enough"

Although I would be aiming for above 3200. Start there, if you aren't seeing any weight / muscle gains increase calories untill you are.

Google maintainance calories. Find out what yours are and add 500.

40/40/20 split of protein carbs and fats should suffice.

Or you could just eat nice big meals and add 1l of full cream milk, and lift big.

i used 3 different calculators for the maintenance weight with all giving me roughly 2500cal. I find that strange though because i would guess that i normally only eat max of 2000 calories and have stayed at the 70kg mark for a couple of years.

Cheers,
Mark

i used 3 different calculators for the maintenance weight with all giving me roughly 2500cal. I find that strange though because i would guess that i normally only eat max of 2000 calories and have stayed at the 70kg mark for a couple of years.

Cheers,
Mark
Don't guess then. If 2500 is maintenance, eat 3000.

Firstly a bit about me.. 20yo, 178cm, 70kg estimated body fat 6%

My goal is to get to around 80kg - 85kg+ whilst maintaining low body fat (if possible).

1.) 6% is wrong
2.) it's not possible to gain 15kg and stay at the 6% bodyfat which you are NOT at.

Thankyou for input guys. I am going to keep to my diet as listed above just turn my 800ml of milk into 2L, this in turn will boost my calories to the 3000+ mark (500+ my recommended maintenance) while maintaining a good percentage of carbs protein and fat. Hopefully after a few weeks i will notice some difference then can do further adjustments.

1.) 6% is wrong
2.) it's not possible to gain 15kg and stay at the 6% bodyfat which you are NOT at.

I originally had written down and thought 10% but figured i would double check with skinfolds and measurements (i am aware this is not the most accurate but a rough guide). the results said 6%. the point of the %BF was to indicate i am as skinny as an african with a tiny bit of more muscle.

Cheers,
Mark

hi mate,

i am working on my diet too. we're around the same height but i'm 68-69kg at the moment.

here's what i worked out for me, i'm looking at gaining weight.

Total - 2865 calories
Carb - 305g - 1220 calories - 42.6%
Fat - 85g -765 calories - 26.7%
Protein - 220g - 880 calories - 30.7%

I haven't worked out on a diet yet but here's what i've had the last 2 days, both hitting the required amount of calories.

Breakfast
-
2 Weet-Bix
60g Oats
Shake/Glutamine
250mL Milk
-
Protein - 51.4g
Fat - 16.7g
Carbs - 83.0g
= 687.9 calories
----------------------------
3 Slices W/Meal Bread
-
Protein - 9.1g
Fat - 3.1g
Carbs - 36g
= 208 calories
----------------------------
2 Slices W/Meal Bread with 85g Canned Shredded Chicken Tandoori
-
Protein - 17.7g
Fat - 4.5g
Carbs - 31.1g
= 235 calories
-------------------------------
PWO Shake/Glutamine/Maltodextrin in Water
-
Protein - 31g
Carbs - 40g
= 284 calories
Hungry Jack's Small Chicken Tendercrisp Meal W/Small Fries
-
Protein - 28.8
Fat - 38.7
Carbs - 70.9
= 747 Calories
3 Flathead Fillets
-
Protein - 23.1g
Fat - 17.1g
Carbs - 42g
= 414 calories
Pre Bed Shake
-
Protein - 45g
= 180 calories
Milk 250mL
-
Protein - 8.0g
Fat - 9.0g
Carbs - 12.2g
= 161 calories
-
-
214g protein
89g fat
314.4g carbs
-
-
= 2913 calories
----------------------------------------
Breakfast
-
2 Weet-Bix
60g Oats
Shake/Glutamine
250mL Milk
-
Protein - 51.4g
Fat - 16.7g
Carbs - 83.0g
= 687.9 calories
--------------------------
2 Slices White Thick Bread with 85g Canned Shredded Chicken Tandoori
-
Protein - 18.3g
Fat - 3.7g
Carbs - 41.9g
= 274 calories
200g (Beef) Scotch Fillet Steak
300g Mashed Potatoe
-
Protein - 70.5g
Fat - 28.5g
Carbs - 32.7g
= 669 calories
----------------------------------
Hungry Jack's Small Whopper Meal W/Small Fries
-
Protein - 32.9g
Fat - 21.6g
Carbs - 75.6g
= 628 calories
---------------------------------
250mL Milk
-
Protein - 8g
Fat - 9g
Carbs - 12.2
= 188 calories
---------------------------------------------
40g Cashews, Dry Roasted no Salt
-
Protein - 6.9g
Fat - 20.1g
Carbs - 6.8g
= 235 calories
------------------------------------------
Pre Bed Shake in Milk
-
Protein - 53g
Fat - 9g
Carbs - 12.2
= 368 calories
-
-
241g protein
108g fat
264g carbs
-
-
= 3050 calories

as you can see it's not really hard to hit those numbers

So weighed myself today (day 3 on 3000+cal diet) and im down 500g in body weight lol. Early days though so i'm going to keep on going and see how i go.

hi mate,

i am working on my diet too. we're around the same height but i'm 68-69kg at the moment.

here's what i worked out for me, i'm looking at gaining weight.

Total - 2865 calories
Carb - 305g - 1220 calories - 42.6%
Fat - 85g -765 calories - 26.7%
Protein - 220g - 880 calories - 30.7%

Hey rambo,
yeh will be interesting to see how we both go.

Cheers,
Mark

I have read a lot of Fadi's threads and have also done my own research. I was wondering if people could clarify a few things for me.

My question is, since i had trouble eating the 2500 cals should I just see how i progress with this amount or should i really aim for the 3200 cals?

Also tips on how to eat more calories aswell as other points are more then welcome..

Cheers.

If you have trouble eating some of your calories (though you know you need them to gain weight), then I'd suggest drinking some shakes with nuts and/or macadamia oil added in for some extra calories. Shakes come in many different varieties based on one's needs as well as taste buds.

Fadi.