• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Partners

I train alone. I like the freedom of training at the times I choose and not be bound by anyone else.

thats interesting - what do you think was different about strongman that made group training essential (compared to powerlifting)?

The type of events I guess, easier to push through a heavy yoke walk with people there to push you for example.
Plus setting up all the equipment is a pain in the butt haha

my experiences of a training partner were that they'd want to do something that I did not, they wanted to go to the gym when I did not and wanted more rest between sets when I did not. Basically I'd have to compromise my own schedule to suit them

I think I'd like a Westside style environment very much where you all go to the gym as a big group at the same time and all do the same thing

my experiences of a training partner were that they'd want to do something that I did not, they wanted to go to the gym when I did not and wanted more rest between sets when I did not. Basically I'd have to compromise my own schedule to suit them

I think I'd like a Westside style environment very much where you all go to the gym as a big group at the same time and all do the same thing

That's the difference between a training partner and a friend you go to the gym with, a training partner will be striving for the same goal you drive each other onward and upward. Many times I hit PB's just to spite my brother and I know he would do the same to stick it to me.

The type of events I guess, easier to push through a heavy yoke walk with people there to push you for example.
Plus setting up all the equipment is a pain in the butt haha

Ha ha now I know why Dan Macri has a training group

That sounds very philosophical and profound - are you sure thats you! lol
haha, yeah it's me.
I used to train with m brother, but there were too many variables. Different work times or cancellations at the last minute for whatever reason. it's just easier to train when I want. i also find I can get trough my workout a lot quicker. Also i hate unloading and loading the bar after every set due to me being stronger. :D

do any pro lifters train alone - or is that because they are there to do a job, no bullshit, no talking etc. or is there usually a master and subservant relationship between a pro and his training partner?

My training partner is my 6 year old son. He is usually in the garage with me loving the metal. I am always having to tell him NO though, he just wants to lift stuff. Went for a quick piss the other day, walked in and he holding a 20kg plate in each hand and proud as hell.
Other people shit me, I only have a limited time to lift and would be pissed if I was constantly waiting for someone to rock up.

Last edited:
do any pro lifters train alone - or is that because they are there to do a job, no bullshit, no talking etc. or is there usually a master and subservant relationship between a pro and his training partner?

I think you would find that very few powerlifters and strongmen (at a competitive level) would train alone -ideally training partners should be fairly closely matched in terms of strength and the goal should be to compete against each other (and others if part of a group) and try to grind each other into the ground. If you are just looking for ego boosting then you would probably see a the relationship that you have described above.

My training partner is my 6 year old son. He is usually in the garage with me loving the metal. I am always having to tell him NO though, he just wants to lift stuff. Went for a quick piss the other day, walked in and he holding a 20kg plate in each hand and proud as hell.
Other people shit me, I only have a limited time to lift and would be pissed if I was constantly waiting for someone to rock up.

Fair enough waiting for people to turn up is crap - by the way your son is awesome!!!

I think you would find that very few powerlifters and strongmen (at a competitive level) would train alone -ideally training partners should be fairly closely matched in terms of strength and the goal should be to compete against each other (and others if part of a group) and try to grind each other into the ground. If you are just looking for ego boosting then you would probably see a the relationship that you have described above.

thats the point I was trying to make. Pros don't train alone usually do they. Pros also have a partner who may be their understudy? (for want of a different word to subservant relationship) who has similiar abilities.

Mike Tuscherer trains in single ply alone
Jamie Lewis trains alone and is 16lb from a 40yo squat record at 181
Paul Carter trains alone
Clubber Lang trained alone and he beat Rocky

Have never had a training partner. Never seen the need, a power rack has spotter bars and I leave the collars off when I bench in case I need to offload it.

I'd always imagine the pros would train in a group? When I think of group Pro training I remember my day at PTC Brissy, and the gang at Elite in Canberra.

But I suppose everyone is different. Whatever pulls the 1RM's :)

I dont think he has any idea what he has got himself into!

Some Saturdays. I used to go weeknights but I get stroppy when I cant get my own squat rack or am often seen throwing 30kg Asian girls off the lifting platform.

Can't get a squat rack?

???

:confused:

We have at least 2 teams of PLers at PTC Brisbane.

Team training is great for heaps of reasons, especially if you're doing 2.5-4 hour sessions.

The environment/atmosphere is second to none, which makes you dig deep and get shit done.

Having at least one set of eyes on your lifting is INVALUABLE. People can see things that a lifter can't. If I'm ever training solo.... Which is very rare, I'll film my work sets just to see what's happening.

Super heavy days, team mates load your bar, wrap your knees, get your ammonia..... Just all the little things that make a big difference when trying to double 100%.

Also, if you compete, people learn about you as a lifter in the gym.
On the day, your lift outs will always be good, your knees will be wrapped in the same style, and you can have guys picking your attempts for you. I did not pick my 2nd and 3rds for any lift at the nationals, it was done for me.

Strength training is much better in a team, especially if you compete.

Last edited:
Sorry to get off thread a bit. But whats the difference in genetic pre-requisites for Powerlifting and Olympic lifting. Whilst I understand the different lifts are Powerlifters the more stronger with Olympic lifters being more "dynamic" (strength and speed)??? Thanks.