• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Partners

Sorry to get off thread a bit. But whats the difference in genetic pre-requisites for Powerlifting and Olympic lifting. Whilst I understand the different lifts are Powerlifters the more stronger with Olympic lifters being more "dynamic" (strength and speed)??? Thanks.

Genetics is not a problem in powerlifting. You're either built to squat or to deadlift or somewhere in between. So you will always have one exercise that you're fucking awesome at that makes the majority of your total.

In weightlifting you do better if you have short arms as you can jerk a lot more
If you have a long torso you will be able to squat a lot of weight up and be limited by the pull and if you have a short torso you will be able to pull a lot of weight but be limited on the squat. So again you get people who are awesome at the snatch (short torso) and people that are awesome at the clean and jerk (long torso)

That is a massive generalisation

Genetics is not a problem in powerlifting. You're either built to squat or to deadlift or somewhere in between. So you will always have one exercise that you're fucking awesome at that makes the majority of your total.

In weightlifting you do better if you have short arms as you can jerk a lot more
If you have a long torso you will be able to squat a lot of weight up and be limited by the pull and if you have a short torso you will be able to pull a lot of weight but be limited on the squat. So again you get people who are awesome at the snatch (short torso) and people that are awesome at the clean and jerk (long torso)

That is a massive generalisation

Thanks for the quite detailed answer Oni. Keep up the sense of humour dude, Awesome! Cheers.

As for training partners, I prefer to train on my own (got used to it in the garage) but now have a new gym and train twice a week with a mate and the rest of the time on my pat. Hard to find a training partner for those 5am sessions...

Never had any training partners but could definitely see a benefit but in saying that I love training alone. It's a great time to forget about everything else and just smash some weights.

I find a training partner helps with the motivation a bit and other technical aspects. But once I am lifting I just want my music and to see nor hear any one else, as soon as it is done talking about training is another good aspect.

I have invited a few mates to the home gym but I find it better to lift by myself rather than around mediocre attitudes.

I have had a few serious training partners in the past, I think the main advantage is on flat days.. it's way easier to get a decent session in when not doing it alone..

We have at least 2 teams of PLers at PTC Brisbane.

Team training is great for heaps of reasons, especially if you're doing 2.5-4 hour sessions.

The environment/atmosphere is second to none, which makes you dig deep and get shit done.

Having at least one set of eyes on your lifting is INVALUABLE. People can see things that a lifter can't. If I'm ever training solo.... Which is very rare, I'll film my work sets just to see what's happening.

Super heavy days, team mates load your bar, wrap your knees, get your ammonia..... Just all the little things that make a big difference when trying to double 100%.

Also, if you compete, people learn about you as a lifter in the gym.
On the day, your lift outs will always be good, your knees will be wrapped in the same style, and you can have guys picking your attempts for you. I did not pick my 2nd and 3rds for any lift at the nationals, it was done for me.

Strength training is much better in a team, especially if you compete.

Amen to that

I really think people are missing out (if they plan to be competitive) if they just train on their own - it is interesting to note that the vast majority of people who train on their own at the Musclepit don't compete (with a few notable exceptions of course). Those that train alone usually dont have that competitive streak perhaps or maybe training as part of a group makes you competitive.

Training in a group obviously has massive benifits but every time I step foot in my gym it's a competition to beat my previous lifts. It's hard to get more closer competition than yourself.

Training in a group obviously has massive benifits but every time I step foot in my gym it's a competition to beat my previous lifts. It's hard to get more closer competition than yourself.

Thats the spirit!!

The few people in the gym that compete and train alone probably have that same attitude. There is one guy Jonah who trains on his own and I doubt there are many people more focused, intense and competitive than him

Thats the spirit!!

The few people in the gym that compete and train alone probably have that same attitude. There is one guy Jonah who trains on his own and I doubt there are many people more focused, intense and competitive than him

Clubber Lang trained alone and he beat Rocky

I trained with my cousin for a few years. It allowed us to make some really gains, more quickly, as you can push harder knowing someone is spotting you and we both helped push each other.

A few key points I think are worth looking for in a training parter...
1) someone you know and get along with pretty well
2) they work much the same hours as you and train around the same times
3) someone of similar strength - it becomes distracting if you spend half your workout taking plates on and off the bar to meet big strength differences.
4) Someone who is consistent and reliable
5) They live in the same area and train at the same gym.
6) Someone who knows when to shut up and when to talk - nothing worse than having someone babble away when you're trying to focus.

It may take a few training sessions together to work out a system, however, when you find a good training partner that meets the above, your progress will soar.

I prefer training with the lads, but they detest getting up as early as I do usually. I don't mind working out alone, especially if it's just HIIT and chins and rowing and yoga....but when I lift, I prefer the lads with me.

They watch my form, they egg me on and they give me lots of shit. lol We're also very competitive, which helps things along too :)

I train both with and without - & I like both, for different reasons.

I would love to train with a training partner but due to the time i train during lunch times i find it hard for mates to train, there is one mate who i train with occassionally but mainly to get a spot off each other as we tend to do different workouts, but when we did train together we both made some good gains on lifts, mainly benching lifts where it helps to have a spot, the rest i find i push myself enough and actually train harder.

I guess it all comes down to finding the right training partner.

Agree with Guzzla. My partner whilst in his 50's has twenty years experience and can help me push out more reps whether it be on the bench, curls etc. he has also been great helping me with form. I much prefer training with him than by myself... We push each other. I definitely wake up the next day with more intense doms.

I work well by myself but have always wanted a training partner - would rather a guy tbh because all the girls I know that go to the gym or that are my friends either a) talk to much which I hate as I am there to work out or b) won't step foot near weights

Near Hornsby GROAR I train at ff there - the trainers are thinking of giving me a bed there

Last edited by a moderator:
I trained with my cousin for a few years. It allowed us to make some really gains, more quickly, as you can push harder knowing someone is spotting you and we both helped push each other.

A few key points I think are worth looking for in a training parter...
1) someone you know and get along with pretty well
2) they work much the same hours as you and train around the same times
3) someone of similar strength - it becomes distracting if you spend half your workout taking plates on and off the bar to meet big strength differences.
4) Someone who is consistent and reliable
5) They live in the same area and train at the same gym.
6) Someone who knows when to shut up and when to talk - nothing worse than having someone babble away when you're trying to focus.

It may take a few training sessions together to work out a system, however, when you find a good training partner that meets the above, your progress will soar.

Great points mate - I must admit though after traiining at the Musclepit for a while is that its not important to get along with your training partners (admittedly the environment at the Pit makes that a viable option) and in fact I make better progress when the people I train with piss me off. The most important thing is that you all have the same goals.

I seem to push myself harder and lift heavier with a training partner but I also like to train on my own some days

I have trained alone out of necessity for the last 10 years but prior to that I usually had a training partner. I found that I worked well with a very similar lifter which isn't a surprise but I also enjoyed training with beginners. I did that several times for over 12 months each time and it worked well.

The only partner that I just couldn't stand training with was my girlfriend. We tried it but it was a write off.