• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training plan review

Big Dave

Hi All,

New to the forum and wanted to get a bit of input on my current training plan to see what you think.

Current stats:
Age 30
Height 196cm
Weight 158Kg

Goals:
Bring weight down to the 110-120kg range
Regain my old strength and more (lifts from 11 years ago don't count)
Develop an above average amount of flexibility and athleticism
Get all three 90% there within 2 years from now.

The plan:
I'm 6 weeks into the following basic beginner routine being done on Mon, Wed, Fri, having started right from the bottom with lowest recommended starting weights, the bar or 40kg depending on the exercise and progressing weights each week

I've also started Pilates on Tuesdays and also Friday if I can fit it in at work to help with core strength and some flexibility (I scored a 0 on the score strength test for my fitness assessment)

Finally I'm planning to add in some sort of conditioning once a week on a Thursday, basically about 20 mins of whatever I feel like, barbell complexes, rowing, bag work etc.

On the nutrition side, my plan at this stage is cut out the fast food, drink more water, eat more fruits and veggies. I already eat a reasonable amount of protein each day.

So let me know what you think, definitely not ideal, but manageable for where things are at for the moment.

Cheers
Dave

Welcome aboard big Dave :) at this stage, just cleaning up your diet and getting active will pay dividends.. Good luck with your goals

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have travelled the same journey you are about to partake, I was 160kg at about the same height. First I started exercising, then stopped eating junk and then started a standard weight lost diet of 500 calorie deficit.

Good to see you changing your ways for the better, I wish you luck with your goals

The program you're planning to undertake was developed to mass produce stronger football players who needed to train along side their football practice I assume (Starting Strength, Stronglifts or some permutation of 5x5)

I'd highly recommend the PTC beginner program. It has more exercises, direct work to body parts and will help build the muscle mass you currently lack and allow you to get stronger in the long run faster.

Sorry Guys, either something happened or I forgot to put in the link to the training plan. I'm not doing a 5x5 variation. here is the workout as I'm doing it.
Monday
Workout #1
Exercise Sets Reps
Squat 3 Long Cycle
Bench Press/Press alt 3 Long Cycle
Barbell Row 3 Long Cycle
Lying Tricep Extension 3 Long Cycle
Leg Curl 3 Long Cycle
Dumbbell Curl 3 Long Cycle
Sit Up 3 12
Wednesday
Workout #2
Exercise Sets Reps
Deadlift 3 Long Cycle
Press/Bench Press alt 3 Long Cycle
Rack Chin 3 Long Cycle
Bench Dips 3 Long Cycle
Seated Calf Raise 3 Long Cycle
Barbell Shrug 3 Long Cycle
Plank 3 20
Friday
Workout #3
Exercise Sets Reps
Squat 3 Long Cycle
Bench Press/Press alt 3 Long Cycle
Barbell Row 3 Long Cycle
Lying Tricep Extension 3 Long Cycle
Leg Curl 3 Long Cycle
Dumbbell Curl 3 Long Cycle
Sit Up 3 12

The long cycle rep scheme goes like this, do sets of 12 for each exercise and add weight once per week (5kg for squats and deads, 2.5 for the other major lifts and the minimum on accessory work). Keep adding weight each week until you cannot complete the assigned reps, then drop the weight 10% and go down by 1 rep on that exercise only (to 11,then 10, then 9 etc) and continue adding weight until assigned reps cannot be complete, bear in mind that its ok to have different exercises on different rep ranges at any given time. On the main lifts you continue in this fashion until you hit 5 reps per set for the main lifts and then switch to a HLM scheme, for accessory work go down to 8 reps and then add weight when 8 reps can be completed staying at 8 reps.

The program continues until all of the major lifts are ready to move to the HLM scheme, then its time for something else more advanced

HLM is heavy light medium. On your heavy day you try to add weight from your last heavy day and do 5 reps. On your light day you drop the weight to 80% of your heavy day aim aim for as many reps as possible short of failure. On your medium day you do the same as the light day with a weight that is 90% of your heavy day.

As there are no exercises being done 3 times a week it also means you slow down and only add weight every 2 to 3 weeks for these exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk