• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

True Protein Review

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
I have today received my generous sample box, of True Protein Powder sample packs, even came with a shaker and some extra protein powder, but I am not easily bribed:D:D

The protein also came with a comprehensive lab report.

First taste test I went for the WPC French Vanilla.

Opened the bag and smells nice and tasty like I want to have it, texture seems good as well, similar to other proteins I have had in the past. 10/10, no issues so far.

Mixed it in 200ml milk, recommendation is 150-250ml of liquid, so I split the difference realising I can adjust taste strength by adding more or less liquid to suit my taste. The product mixed easily and fast in a standard shaker with no lumps or residue again 10/10, no issues.

Taste, well keep in mind that I am extremely critical of taste, and also keep in mind that taste is 100% individual, I only eat stuff that tastes geat to me, life is too short to eat crap. So to make a long story short taste was better than all bulk brand proteins I have tasted, a mile better. It tasted like vanilla, but for my personal taste it could have been a bit sweeter, but if it was others may find it too sweet. So overall I would give the taste an 8/10 for me, which is being very critical re the sweetness for my own personal taste buds..

Would I buy it?? Yes, I would probaby buy it over pretty much any vanilla protein powder I have had in the last few years.

Will update this thread as I have more of the samples. I have enough samples to do one review with water and one with milk.

Last edited:
Rich chocolate WPC

Smell, texture and mix ability same as above 10/10, smell is excellent smells exactly like chocolate Quick.

Mixed in 200ml of milk, taste is amazing, best protein powder I have ever tasted, I think I have found my protein powder of choice, it just tastes like chocolate oak milk, it's delicious.

I feel bad giving it a 10/10, it really deserves more than that compared to anything else I have tasted.

Will still be trying it in water in the future!

It actually amases me how wrong other companies get this, and these guys get it so right.

Last edited:
I've never heard of true protein mate, where did you get the samples from? I would like to try some as well if they taste as good as you say! What did the lab report show the actual protein content as?

Natural unflavoured WPC (base line I guess) 79.4%,

Rich Chocolate WPC 71.4%

Vanilla WPC 77%

I am guessing the chocolate is 71.4% because they would have added a fair amount of flavour to get it tasting this good. Vanilla clearly has less flavouring and it shows in the taste IMO, personally I would say add some more flavouring /and or sweeten it up a bid more to make it taste like vanilla Ice cream and they will have a customer for life.

Was talking to a work mate about protein the other day and he uses expensive glossy label brands that taste great but cost more and contain less protein, I told him he could get more protein per serve but not taste as good if he went with someone like BN, his response was 'I drink coke even though it costs $3 per bottle and I can get home brand for 99 cents, but I pay the premium for the taste, I do the same with protein powder." made sense to me.

About to give the Strawberry cream a run………review to follow!

There is an Iced Chai flavour, not even sure what it is never had anything Chai, might try that tomorrow.

Strawberries and Cream WPC tested at 75.2% Protein

Mixed in 200ml of milk.

Smell was very weak, not much strawberry smell at all IMO 8/10

Texture and mix ability mixes perfectly and easily 10/10

Taste, I thought it was a bit like the vanilla WPC too weak IMO, so I thought I was being harsh again, so I got my 10 year old daughter to try some, she had a sip and her response was."mmm thats nice, but tastes more like cream than strawberries", she did read the packet that said 'strawberry cream' prior to trying it as she was suspicious what I was getting her to taste. So I would probably give it an 8/10, quite pleasant but not in the league of the chocolate WPC for me make it sweeter and stronger strawberry flavour, others may find it perfect.

Natural unflavoured WPC (base line I guess) 79.4%,

Rich Chocolate WPC 71.4%

Vanilla WPC 77%

I am guessing the chocolate is 71.4% because they would have added a fair amount of flavour to get it tasting this good. Vanilla clearly has less flavouring and it shows in the taste IMO, personally I would say add some more flavouring /and or sweeten it up a bid more to make it taste like vanilla Ice cream and they will have a customer for life.

Was talking to a work mate about protein the other day and he uses expensive glossy label brands that taste great but cost more and contain less protein, I told him he could get more protein per serve but not taste as good if he went with someone like BN, his response was 'I drink coke even though it costs $3 per bottle and I can get home brand for 99 cents, but I pay the premium for the taste, I do the same with protein powder." made sense to me.

About to give the Strawberry cream a run………review to follow!

There is an Iced Chai flavour, not even sure what it is never had anything Chai, might try that tomorrow.

Totally this, if I wasn't poor I would be drinking something like Maxs flat out, flavour is amazing but the ingredient list is also packed compared to the bulk powders.

I'm pretty much the same. MP Combat or BSN Synth6 usually, don't mind paying for a good tasting product. Have tried BN and didn't like it but this stuff is much better

I think I will definitely be buying some chocolate WPC from these guys, this is why I love the sample bags, you can try and find what suits you without buying a kilo of the stuff and then having to consume it.I will give the CHAI a try and will then be testing all four flavours with water and posting up a review. Overall I quite like their range and flavours.I think I will be ordering different supplements from different suppliers, these guys definitely have my chocolate protein order.

Not sure if you read my review in the other thread but I'd recommend 150ml of water. I tried 200 and the chocolate just seemed too watery/diluted. With the ease it mixes, less water will be fine... In hindsight, can always add more water if it's too intense but I don't think it will be

I did read your review.

Tried the Iced Chai WPC this morning……had no idea what to expect

Mixed in 200ml of milk

The smell was quite pleasant, although since I have no idea what Chai actually is, I had nothing to compare it to and no idea what to expect, overall I would give it 9/10 just for smell.

Texture and mixability same as always a 10/10

Taste, well I was pleasantly surprised, I quite liked it and it has a spicy sort of taste to it and it went well with milk, again for my taste buds it could have been a little sweeter, but the actual flavour was strong and 200ml of milk seemed like a perfect amount of liquid. After googling what Chai was and it turns out it is basically tea prepared with milk and spices, the most common being cardamom, cinnamon , ginger and black pepper.

Anyway less talk more rating I would give it a strong 8/10.

I have now tried all four flavours and for me
Rich Chocolate is the leader of the lot, I would probably rate Iced Chai as my second favourite, followed by vanilla and strawberry in that order.

Will try them in water next week and will report back.

200mL isn't a lot man, one sip and its all gone so there isn't enough to really enjoy the taste. Shaking it up in a 600mL shaker is where its at! Although I go 2.5 scoops when I do that.
At 77% actual protein these guys seem to be using twice as much flavouring as BN so no wonder it tastes good. I just ordered 5 sample packs so I expect them all to be explosively mouthgasmic, as I already find BN's flavoured products acceptable in taste even if I have to reduce the amount of milk added by a small fraction.

200ml is a standard that most if not all protein supplement sellers use for 30 grams of protein powder. If you use 2 scoops or 60 grams then you can use more liquid I guess, the chocolate flavour is great IMO, quite liked the chai and the other were too weak for my liking. But still good might try them with less milk and see how they go next time around may be 150ml to 30 grams.

Hi guys, thanks to Mick again for the review. Just wanted to give some feedback re the flavouring and protein content. The Chocolate and Chai have a richer flavour as they combine a natural flavour extract with a raw flavour ingredient so with Chocolate your getting Natural Chocolate flavour + Cocoa Powder and with the Chai your getting Natural Chai flavour + Organic Carob Powder.

This cuts into the protein content but at the same time you're getting a high quality extra ingredient with proven health benefits and not just a filler. Also as a percentage it may seem on the low side but if you look at it from a grams per serve your looking at 21.8g/serve for chocolate as opposed to 23.9g/serve in unflavoured so we thought it was a trade off worth making to try and raise the bar flavour wise.

We definitely take the feedback on board and as a new company we may look at trying to bump the flavour for vanilla and strawberry on the next run.

Any other questions just let me know.

Hi guys, thanks to Mick again for the review. Just wanted to give some feedback re the flavouring and protein content. The Chocolate and Chai have a richer flavour as they combine a natural flavour extract with a raw flavour ingredient so with Chocolate your getting Natural Chocolate flavour + Cocoa Powder and with the Chai your getting Natural Chai flavour + Organic Carob Powder.

This cuts into the protein content but at the same time you're getting a high quality extra ingredient with proven health benefits and not just a filler. Also as a percentage it may seem on the low side but if you look at it from a grams per serve your looking at 21.8g/serve for chocolate as opposed to 23.9g/serve in unflavoured so we thought it was a trade off worth making to try and raise the bar flavour wise.

We definitely take the feedback on board and as a new company we may look at trying to bump the flavour for vanilla and strawberry on the next run.

Any other questions just let me know.

I pretty much figured the flavour vs protein contend out earlier, and I think it's a fair trade off, happy to sacrifice a gram or three of protein for a great flavour, especially when the flavour is made up from natural ingredients happy to just add a bit more powder if I want more protein. I think most people do not mind having to pay a little extra for a better teasing product as a trade off.

I know I rather spend a bit extra on a nice piece of steak than a bit of old shoe leather. And personally I like eating/drinking things that taste great.
So my

So my keen taste buds have recognized the two flavours you mention, chocolate is by far my favourite with the chai not too far behind.

Had the chocolate and vanilla one in water, used 200ml to keep things simple.

Both worked well in water, mixed perfectly and easily.

Taste was a bit weak but still pleasant and quite drinkable, I think for my taste reduce the liquid down a bit for stronger taste.

I would rate them well, may be 8/10 for vanilla and 9/10 for chocolate, really can't find much to criticize that has not been said before.

Got me samples in the mail today two of each flavour and a shaker pretty generous:) will poat up once I. Have tried em out

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

A solid overall 9 for the flavours - really liked the chai - had no idea what to expect with that bad boy.

Have tried the Vanilla in water (200ml) and Choc in Milk (200ml)..

Both mixed really well and easily with no lumps.

Vanilla was good would make with a little less water to make it stronger though..
Chocolate is sensational by far the best tasting shake i reckon i've had..

Will be ordering from them.