• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Upper lower 3 day split

walt

DuffProteinMan
Hey guys,

I've hit plateus on my 3 day beginner routine and looking to change it. I found my bench went up when i only trained it two times a week. Yes, ive tried eating more.

Another factor is to be honest, i am getting bored of doing the same things over and over again.

Best lifts (yes not great)
Squat - 107.5kg x 10
Bench - 65kg x 7
DL - 120kg x 8
SLDL - 95kg x 8
Mp - 37.5kg x 8

Thinking of doing it like this : week 1 - upper day, lower day, upper day
week 2, lower day, upper day, lower day.

Thoughts, anyone be able to piece together an upper and lower routine. Im looking for muscle mass. Also, not to, lets say i have week 1, what could i change to make the 2 days not the same (even if its just 1 lift).

Thoughts?

I've been doing upper lower for a few weeks now.
Like this.

Hack Squat (Can't squat, bad shoulder) supersetted with
RDL 5 sets each

Leg Ext suppersetted with Leg Curl 3 sets each

Upper

Bench (light, bad shoulder) supersetted with
Row 3 sets each

Military Press (again light) supersetted with
Pull Up 3 sets each

Bench Dip supersetted with
Curls 2 sets each

Calves abs every 3rd workout

You do not have to superset, I do for the cardio effect.

What are your training goals?

The after starting strength wiki has a few upper/lower splits

You could also consider WS4SB as each of the 4 workouts are different. I would, however, suggest doing PPP for squat and bench as the Max lifts as opposed to using the conjugate method

Squat bench and deadlift and add in accessory work. If you want something that's more structured I suggest west side for skinny bastards. Much more geared towards athletes who already train for there sports with just strength aims in the gym. Are you still playing rugby this year?

Like you say: Upper , lower , upper. Lower , upper , lower.

Use bench and mil press as your two main upper lifts, and squat / dead as your two main lower, alternating days.

So upper 1 you'd bench, plus other (perhaps dumbell shoulder press etc. Upper 2 you'd mil press, plus other (perhaps dumbell bench etc).

Lower 1 you'd squat, plus maybe SLDL. Lower 2 you'd Deadlift, plus maybe front squat.

That way you're not getting bored, and you're changing the neural and muscular stimulation.

Lower 1 you'd squat, plus maybe SLDL. Lower 2 you'd Deadlift, plus maybe front squat.

I like this... not a fan of deadies n squats on same day. Grouping heavy dead with the lighter front squats and heavy back squats with the light stiff leg's is a better option imo.

I've been doing upper lower for a few weeks now.
Like this.

Hack Squat (Can't squat, bad shoulder) supersetted with
RDL 5 sets each

Leg Ext suppersetted with Leg Curl 3 sets each

Upper

Bench (light, bad shoulder) supersetted with
Row 3 sets each

Military Press (again light) supersetted with
Pull Up 3 sets each

Bench Dip supersetted with
Curls 2 sets each

Calves abs every 3rd workout

You do not have to superset, I do for the cardio effect.

Looks okay but im looking for a bit more volume. TBH, i prob wouldn't do this, but thanks for help.

What are your training goals?

The after starting strength wiki has a few upper/lower splits

You could also consider WS4SB as each of the 4 workouts are different. I would, however, suggest doing PPP for squat and bench as the Max lifts as opposed to using the conjugate method

Goals are strictly mass gain with hypothery(cant spell). Strength comes second.

Squat bench and deadlift and add in accessory work. If you want something that's more structured I suggest west side for skinny bastards. Much more geared towards athletes who already train for there sports with just strength aims in the gym. Are you still playing rugby this year?

I was thinking of Doing the Squat bench and deadlift after this upper lower when my numbers are more up there.

Yeah im playing rugby but i have sort have given up training just for rugby, looking for more long term as i have realized my school doesn't care much for rugby. As said above, looking for mass atm.

push/pull/legs?

I was thinking of Doing the Squat bench and deadlift after this upper lower when my numbers are more up there.

Use bench and mil press as your two main upper lifts, and squat / dead as your two main lower, alternating days.

So upper 1 you'd bench, plus other (perhaps dumbell shoulder press etc. Upper 2 you'd mil press, plus other (perhaps dumbell bench etc).

That way you're not getting bored, and you're changing the neural and muscular stimulation.

This seems the best thing for me. Any chance of a sample routine like this?

I like this... not a fan of deadies n squats on same day. Grouping heavy dead with the lighter front squats and heavy back squats with the light stiff leg's is a better option imo.

Whats wrong with doing heavy squats and heavy stiff legs? Light stiff legs won't do much? Im probably wrong, but just curious.

I suggest you jump onto Starting Strength.

You'll be benching at most 2x/week and the lower volume on the squat/deadlift will have you recovering smoothly. I was on SS until I hit a squat 1RM of 170kg

I suggest you jump onto Starting Strength.

You'll be benching at most 2x/week and the lower volume on the squat/deadlift will have you recovering smoothly. I was on SS until I hit a squat 1RM of 170kg

I was thinking of this. If this program fails, i will go to starting strength.

Heres i routine i have made :

Week 1 - Upper 1 -
Bench press 3 x 8
Chin up 3 x 8
1 arm dumbbell row 3 x 8
Military Press 3 x 8
Dips 3 x 10

Lower 1 -
Squat 3 x 8
Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 8
Leg press 3 x 8
No idea what to put here (input please)
Calf raises 3 x 15

Upper 2 -
Bench press 3 x 8
Chin up 3 x 8
Military Press 3 x 8
1 arm Dumbbell row 3 x 8
Close grip bench press?

Lower 2 -
Deadlift 3 x 6
Front squat 3 x 8
Lying leg curl?
Something here
Calf raises 3 x 15

Week 1 - Monday upper 1, Wednesday lower 1, Friday upper 2
Week 2 - Monday lower 2, Monday upper 1 or 2?, Wednesday lower 1

I just noticed i would be doing some exercises more than others. I would only be dead lifting once in two weeks, while i would be squatting twice in 2 weeks?

I have put calf raises because before i did beginner routine i made good progress in calves with working it 2 times a week.

Another thing is simply this :

Upper - Bench press
Chin up
DB row
MP
Dip

Lower - Squat
SLDL
Leg press
Something
Calf raise

Ahhhh. Where do i put Deadlift?

What if i was to cycle it every 4 session and do it like my post above. So instead of cycling each week, it would be like this:

Upper 1, Lower 1, Upper 2, Lower 2. It would take 4 sessions? So instead of focusing on switching each week, just switch each session?

Simple is best man.

Upper 1
Bench 5 x 5
Dumbell shoulder press 3 x 12
Chins x lots
Seated Row 3 x 10
Dumbell Curls 4 x 12

Upper 2

Mil Press 5 x 5
Incline Dumbell Bench 3 x 12
Bent Rows 4 x 10
Skullcrushers 3 x 12
Tricep Pushdowns 3 x 12

Lower 1

Squat 5 x 5
SLDL 3 x 12
Lying leg curls 3 x 12
Leg extensions 4 x 12
Seated Calf Raises 4 x 15

Lower 2

Deadlifts 5 x 5
Front squat 4 x 10
Dumbell Walking Lunges 3 x 12
Standing Calf Raises 5 x 8

Or some variation thereof.

This isn't perfect and you should definitely consider your own body's needs. Don't blindly follow any program some guy on the net gave you. But that's a fairly balanced program. It doesn't focus on strength a lot. It uses one major compound movement for strength at the start of the movement and then moves on to a more traditional bodybuilder hypertrophy split. I'd focus most on the first compound lift of the workout and then worry about the other stuff as less important.

I believe this will give you a good combination of strength progression and pure hypertrophy, which you've said is your main goal.

+1

Simple is best man.

Upper 1
Bench 5 x 5
Dumbell shoulder press 3 x 12
Chins x lots
Seated Row 3 x 10
Dumbell Curls 4 x 12

Upper 2

Mil Press 5 x 5
Incline Dumbell Bench 3 x 12
Bent Rows 4 x 10
Skullcrushers 3 x 12
Tricep Pushdowns 3 x 12

Lower 1

Squat 5 x 5
SLDL 3 x 12
Lying leg curls 3 x 12
Leg extensions 4 x 12
Seated Calf Raises 4 x 15

Lower 2

Deadlifts 5 x 5
Front squat 4 x 10
Dumbell Walking Lunges 3 x 12
Standing Calf Raises 5 x 8

Or some variation thereof.

This isn't perfect and you should definitely consider your own body's needs. Don't blindly follow any program some guy on the net gave you. But that's a fairly balanced program. It doesn't focus on strength a lot. It uses one major compound movement for strength at the start of the movement and then moves on to a more traditional bodybuilder hypertrophy split. I'd focus most on the first compound lift of the workout and then worry about the other stuff as less important.

I believe this will give you a good combination of strength progression and pure hypertrophy, which you've said is your main goal.

Thanks mate, ill change a few things around but it gives me a starting point.

you should do well on Madcow's 5x5
( a variation of Bill Starr's classic 5x5)

Although i am looking for some strength, hypertrophy is my main goal.

What about for core, thinking twice a week, once at start of week, other at end of week. Planks 1 time and lying leg raises or the ab wheels the other time.

What about for core, thinking twice a week, once at start of week, other at end of week. Planks 1 time and lying leg raises or the ab wheels the other time.
If you have time do it, if not, don't. Remember every time you push pull or squat you are using your core, which is maybe once or twice every session. it might not be sore after, but it sure does get used. Doing 50 situps every day is not going to give you a six pack for the beach, lower bodyfat will. If that is your goal, start eating less and do more cardio. :p

As to hypertrophy being your goal, which means to get bigger, you simply have to lift heavy and eat. And eat some more. The best way to do this would be with some sort of programming. adding weight every workout isn't working for you anymore, so a program with goals is always going to be best, instead of going "oh i might try a 100 kilo bench today." I reckon you should do some research into WS4SB, that 5x5 program mentioned above, or even 5/3/1 by Wendler. I think WS4SB would be best for you.

Last edited:
If you have time do it, if not, don't. Remember every time you push pull or squat you are using your core, which is maybe once or twice every session. it might not be sore after, but it sure does get used. Doing 50 situps every day is not going to give you a six pack for the beach, lower bodyfat will. If that is your goal, start eating less and do more cardio. :p

As to hypertrophy being your goal, which means to get bigger, you simply have to lift heavy and eat. And eat some more. The best way to do this would be with some sort of programming. adding weight every workout isn't working for you anymore, so a program with goals is always going to be best, instead of going "oh i might try a 100 kilo bench today." I reckon you should do some research into WS4SB, that 5x5 program mentioned above, or even 5/3/1 by Wendler. I think WS4SB would be best for you.

Ok yeah, im not to concerned about the six pack, just trying to get big.

If this upper lower split does not work (i think it will, i reckon i can add weight every workout), i will probably switch to that WS4SB. Thanks for advice though.