• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Venom

I bought 4 1kg bags of wpi a while back and was suspect due to the consistency of it. Chocolate is actually pretty nice flavor wise but the mango and watermelon ones I got were easily the worst protein I've ever tasted.

Well that's a worry, if I understand that test correctly it appears to be high carb/low protein mix. What is this, a mass gainer? :D

Good thing I am trying to actually put on weight then!

Yeah if you have overly sensitive tastebuds then add more liquid I reckon. I think that chemical taste you're referring to is the aftertaste, I suggest use milk next time as its less noticeable, with water the artificialness is accentuated.

It just tastes like chemicals to me. I taste test them in water as I mostly have my shakes in water and all products I taste test are mixed according to directions on the container and I rarely use milk. May be my taste is just sensitive as most things taste like chemicals to me.

People drink diet soft drinks, zero coke, zero red bull, other diet foods and they just taste revolting to me. Had a normal red bull the other day bought at the servo as I was feeling very run down and needed a boost and still had a bit in front of me, took one sip and could not understand how people drink it and how it got so big and popular, it's revolting, so I just sculled it down in one hit to try and avoid the taste.

So it may just be me, but these powders taste like chemicals to me, really I should just throw the rest of the samples in the bin, but I will taste them regardless, but most probably will tip them down the sink after tasting them.

Last edited:
In terms of flavouring and sweetness, my general view is that most protein powders are well over sweetened. You can debate the amount of flavouring, yes some are a bit weak, some strong, however I personally have never had a protein powder and thought to myself, 'this needs to be sweeter'.

Most protein companies don't really listen to this. I have never heard of anyone ever on these forums or anywhere else saying that a protein is not sweet enough. Its usually that is the flavouring is too weak etc.

I think that most protein companies could reduce their artificial sweetener content by 25 - 50% and the protein powders would still be sweet enough.

RESULTS ARE IN

All are per 100g

Rocky Road - 91.8
Butter Scotch - 92.7
Vanilla - 88.5
Chocolate - 87.5

Well...
now how does this explain Micks brown liquid test?

anyway, lab tests are good enough for me.
and everyone except bigmick has liked the flavours.
and since it seems mick can't even drink diet/zero/max soft drinks or red bull without having an episode, it's safe to assume that he has other problems.

Thanks Sydking for going through the process.

I've wanted to try the rocky road and butterscotch so will look into it.

[MENTION=10497]Bulk Nutrients[/MENTION]
your suggested govt lab returned a flavoured protein with 92.7% protein content.

How does this fly in the face of your "no chance of getting 93% flavoured protein" comments?

Do you think another test is in order?

We should have another batch tested just to make sure... My batch had an exp date of 31/12/14

So anything other then that should be tested

RESULTS ARE IN

All are per 100g

Rocky Road - 91.8
Butter Scotch - 92.7
Vanilla - 88.5
Chocolate - 87.5

Very surprised at these results to be honest.

Well...
now how does this explain Micks brown liquid test?

I tested WPC, he tested WPI, so that might help to explain it.

anyway, lab tests are good enough for me.
and everyone except bigmick has liked the flavours.
and since it seems mick can't even drink diet/zero/max soft drinks or red bull without having an episode, it's safe to assume that he has other problems.
I don't consider having taste buds that work a problem to be honest, if anyone can drink this stuff and not taste the horrible chemical taste in it I would say you are the one that has problems.

Where is this?
or was it a limited time thing?

It's on their Facebook page.

I don't consider having taste buds that work a problem to be honest, if anyone can drink this stuff and not taste the horrible chemical taste in it I would say you are the one that has problems.

yep.. it's definitely the millions of other people with the issue.

I doubt there are millions who have tried Venom Protein Powder.:rolleyes:

And well I find most people have no taste buds, I can think of countless examples of this, Chemical tasting protein powder and diet drinks is just one, McDonald's chips would be another, had a few about a week ago and they just tasted like a spoon full of salt to me, and were pretty much inedible, yet the person that bought them thought they were fine. McDonald's burgers taste like meat wrapped in sugary bread, just can't eat them, even the smell makes me feel ill.

I think with all the sugary, salty and chemical crap people eat they have lost the ability to taste foods for what they are, as the taste buds are numbed by the strong flavours they get bombarded with day in day out.

Comeon [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; credit where credit is due, McDonalds chips/fries do taste like a spoonful of salt and thats about it....

@Bulk Nutrients
your suggested govt lab returned a flavoured protein with 92.7% protein content.

How does this fly in the face of your "no chance of getting 93% flavoured protein" comments?

Do you think another test is in order?

Hi Guys,

Firstly, we can send a sample into the lab which will return a result of even over 100% Protein content.

The proteins tests by NMI labs are done based on Nitrogen content x 6.38, as this is generally the average of all the amino acids present in whey protein/dairy matter.

If a whey protein had a larger percentage of higher nitrogen containing amino acids, then the test would come back as showing that product as being higher in protein, simply as it contains more amino acids which had a higher nitrogen content - even if the actual protein content is the same.

Now, the easiest way of duping these test would be to simply send a product in for analysis which had been "spiked" with certain amino acids.

Any company using an Ultra/Cross Filtered pure WPI (particularly from Fonterra) should always see protein levels under 91%, as that is the level of protein in Fonterra's raw stock. 99% of the WPI stock Fonterra sells in Australia is Alacen 894, which is the product us, and most other companies use in their proteins.

Now, in regards to these latest tests coming in higher than that, the company may well be using Alacen 895 - and that is what I think is likely.

This is another product which Fonterra sells and its protein content is higher. While still marketed as Ultra Filtered, it is an "Ion Exchange Whey". It does in fact have a protein content of about 93%, however most companies don't use it as it neither mixes well and is more difficult to flavour.

This product can be identified by larger filaments when mixed, and quite a bit of clumping. I'd suggest that it is this product which has been tested, however users can confirm.

If it is not this product, and it is in fact a product containing Alacen 894 (Fonterra's 91% protein product) which has shown these results I would be highly suspicious as it is impossible to increase a WPI's protein content by adding flavour, it will only reduce it, which is why products containing a cross/ultra filtered WPI (non Ion Exchange) could ever genuinely be 93% protein.

is it even possible for a flavoured wpi to come up at over 92%. If people are saying the flavours are strong [MENTION=10497]Bulk Nutrients[/MENTION]; ?? Is it possible they have added something to bump the tested figures?

melamine and other compounds such as cyanuric acid, ammeline and ammelide

People get conditioned to stuff.

Fortunately I'm not conditioned to Micks posting.

Dont feel bad a lot of people struggle with common sense these days, you would not be the only one.

Maccas fries taste like potato, if that's all the potato you eat.

There is no way anyone could say that Maccas fries taste like potatatoe unless you have never eaten a potatoe and actually tasted it.