• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weight gainer supplements

Auscallum

Hey guys. Just looking for the best weight gaining supplements on the market at the moment that I should use and also anything else that will help me put on weight.

Also if anyone has a recommend website that they like to use, cheap, good delivery, wide range etc etc.

Any input would be a great help thanks.

WPC, oats, bananas, yoghurt, peanut butter and anything else you can think of.
Throw it in a blender and consume 3 times daily. :)

Make sure you're in a calorie surplus with as much high quality protein, carbs (oats, sweet potato, high fibre veggies) and fats to match your marco requirements.

A good Quality WPC or WPI would be all you need, but WPC would be fine and cheaper for bulking.

WPC, oats, bananas, yoghurt, peanut butter and anything else you can think of.
Throw it in a blender and consume 3 times daily. :)

Agreed - I only have this at breakfast, but when I kick start my next bulk (starting Christmas day I suspect) I'll be doing this except rather than yoghurt I have honey, rice milk and frozen berries. 1000 calories drinks make it a lot easier on your digestive system to hit 3-4k in calories.

Also weight gainer shakes generally beg the question "Would you like some protein with your diabetes?" (they are pumped with sugar or other carbs which have fancy names, but generally mean sugar).

As for answering your actual question - hit up bulk nutrients and look for something with protein and carbs. Again though, you could just DYI bulk shake as per above.

Does it matter If you have frozen berries or fresh berries?

Also does the type of milk make a difference, eg, rice milk instead of low fat milk / full cream milk.

Is WPC or WPI better for you? Or does it depend on the individual person?

As for normal meals, white rice a yes or
A no?

I like to get the steam veggies in the frozen packets from the supermarket as it normally has 3 x veg in it and it's quick good or bad?

Then just regular servings of fruit, meat ( kangaroo, fish, beef, chicken, pork, tuna )

Should I be taking anything else before and the after gym in the means of supplements?

Freshly picked berries are best, the fresh ones from supermarket are few days old and with every hour/day they lose nutrients (they are alive after all). Not to mention the time you store them in the fridge. Frozen berries are frozen straight after picking, the freezing will kill some nutrients, but then they will not degrade any more. it's often the case that the frozen stuff has more nutrients.

That's the reason why I always have 1kg bag of frozen berries in my freezer. Not to mention it's a lot cheaper and I don't have to worry about them spoiling. I just make sure I pick the aussie ones, not the cheapest imported ones.

Does it matter If you have frozen berries or fresh berries? frozen - I just buy a bag a week and chuck in a serve with my morning shake in the blender, see oioi's post for the reasons

Also does the type of milk make a difference, eg, rice milk instead of low fat milk / full cream milk. Full cream has the most calories, so as long as you account for it in your calorie calculations you won't dirty bulk. I use rice milk to reduce the amount of lactose in my diet, sorry I probably should have just said milk.

Is WPC or WPI better for you? Or does it depend on the individual person? WPI = faster digestion, less lactose, higher protein content per serve. Which means it's more expensive than WPC. Therefore it depends on the individual person in terms of budget and their tolerance with lactose.

As for normal meals, white rice a yes or
A no? The general consensus used to be that you have white rice (and other faster digesting carbs) around your workout and you have brown rice (or other slower digesting carbs) at other times of the day. However, a lot of people subscribe to the view that it doesn't matter. A carb is a carb is a carb.

Unless you are a competitive bodybuilder, the GI index of the carb won't make a difference.

Personally, I enjoy basmati rice, so I eat basmati rice. Therefore if I'm trying to bulk and need to eat substantially more calories, eating brown rice isn't good because I can't physically bring myself to eat as much of it!

I like to get the steam veggies in the frozen packets from the supermarket as it normally has 3 x veg in it and it's quick good or bad? General opinion seems to be that frozen is as good. If that is going to get you your recommended daily serve of greens, then it's better than nothing in my view. Personally, I used to get those bags. Than I found 1kg bags of frozen broccoli for about $4-5 so I would put it in my leftovers to keep my food cool. It would defrost during the day, then when I would microwave my food for lunch it would taste good. Currently though I haven't been bothering - again up to you!

Then just regular servings of fruit, meat ( kangaroo, fish, beef, chicken, pork, tuna ) I try stick to a couple of serves of fruit, particularly say a banana with some roasted almonds makes a decent morning tea when you're busy. Otherwise, yep you're on the money.

Should I be taking anything else before and the after gym in the means of supplements? There are lots of things you can take, but unless you're planning on competing as a bodybuilder, then that extra 2-5% won't a bigger enough difference to warrant the drain on your wallet.

The key supplements in my opinion are:
- protein (to help eat enough protein per day, mainly out of convenience)
- fish oil (source of EFAs and is generally awesome for you)
- multivitamin (to help make sure you're getting enough of the good micronutrients); and
- glutamine (seems to help with recovery and most importantly, during winter you don't seem to get sick as often so you can keep training - however, this is probably a want rather than a need).

See above - that's my $0.02 :D

Thanks guys. All useful information.

What are the main veggies and fruits I should be looking at eating ?

Also how often do you eat? Try for every 3 hours ?

And what portion sizes should I look at?

What are the main veggies and fruits I should be looking at eating ?

What ever you enjoy eating

how often do you eat? Try for every 3 hours?

When ever you get hungry.

what portion sizes should I look at?

Big enough so you are no longer hungry.

Don't over complicate things, have a meal when you want to eat, no need to have 27 meals a day, I generally have two meals a day, as I don't like eating breakfast, makes no difference as long as you eat enough.

How I envy you needing to bulk up. As Mick says, don't overcomplicate things and don't stress about meal times, get real food first before resorting to shakes though the shakes mentioned earlier are great but stay away from store bought mass gainers.

Last edited:
couple table spoons of coconut oil in a choc coconut flavoured WPI (No Bull) shake tastes like heaven! You got to try it. :)

Thanks for the extra information guys. I'm on the bulk nutrients site now. Is it worth getting the fine oats 10kg for $75 or am I better off just going to Aldi and getting a 1kg bag for $1 ?

the fine oats are convenient because there is no need to blend them. they go down easier too.
I love 'em.

Thanks for the extra information guys. I'm on the bulk nutrients site now. Is it worth getting the fine oats 10kg for $75 or am I better off just going to Aldi and getting a 1kg bag for $1 ?

Go to Woolies or Aldi and spend the $1.29 per kg and blend them yourself!!

$75 for 10kg of Oats?