• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weighted dips - how much ?

Shorr

Hey big bench pressers and huge triceps owners (lucky ones): do you do weighted dips and if so with how much weight and reps?

I can do 10-12 reps in 25kg + BW (92 kg ), extra deep, but my arms are still average sized, nothing huge apart from my enthusiasm :-D

Tell me your story please. Thx.

Good question.
And 12 smooth and controlled is good, really good.

My magic number is 6 reps for 30kg 87kg, that was when I was 47.
In a full body workout, after chin-ups and rows.

I tried weighted first time 2 days ago, managed 7 at 100kg bodyweight +35kg. Could have gone 8 I think. The more I do dips the more I prefer them to benching, but I'm not sure you get the same benefit in chest development / strength. I could bench 130kg touch and go at the moment (max).

Good question.
And 12 smooth and controlled is good, really good.

My magic number is 6 reps for 30kg 87kg, that was when I was 47.
In a full body workout, after chin-ups and rows.

You talkin' kilos right?

I loooooved doing weighted dips! one of my faves.

Alas, can no longer do due to wrecked shoulder.

Was doing about the same as OP 30kgs for 12 reps at around 90kgs (back when I was a little lighter :))

Hey Geza.

I think dips are great for shoulder health and mobility. I do them twice a week.

Personally, I haven't found weighted dips help my bench. I used to go heavy with them, but all it was doing was making me better at dips.

I can do 60kg's plus my bodyweight (105kg), i'm in my mid 40's and riddled with shoulder joint issues ps: only done them 3 times in the past 2 years because of pain.

My wife can do 40kg plus her bodyweight (70kg) same as me only done them a few times in the past 2 years.

PS: The weights mentioned above were done 2 weeks ago, first time in 12 months.

Not huge numbers, but ok for us oldies.

Last edited:
I used to do them for 5-6 reps with 60kg before some shoulder troubles. When I have access to a strong enough dip frame I will probably start them again.

Ive always done them just BW as a "finisher" - very rarely done them with any weight.

One of my mates does 4-5 plates (80-100Kg) + his BW around 95kg - funniest thing seeing him trying to walk slightly to get in position haha

Seeing where on the dips, who does narrow or wide, leaning forward or upright what do you thibk works chest or tris better?

Seeing where on the dips, who does narrow or wide, leaning forward or upright what do you thibk works chest or tris better?

I believe width is dependent on shoulder width, and foe most, around 700mm is all that is needed.

Leaning back or forward, is just bro science mumbo jumbo

4-6 sets of 8 with 60kg + 72kg BW. But I rarely do them very heavy as it wreaks havoc with my left elbow. Sets of 10-15 with 40 kg are much less aggravating.