• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weighted dips - how much ?

I was thinking of going nuts on sets of 20 personally, until I had built up a significant amount of musculature in my chest and triceps and then going heavy

I saw one well known power lifter do a set a dips, a young bloke that teaches others.
He clicked 10kg to his waist and did about 5 or 6 took him about 45 seconds and moved about 10 inches.
Hopped off and said wow that was hard.

Respect to all heavy weighted dippers; I dipped with +35 kg (92 kg bw) x 7s (3x7) and it felt like tearing my shoulders/elbows; I reckon I have to get used to the heavier weight gradually.

Any good stretches to help with going lower on dips?

I do something like this (except standing and grabbing the bar on the power rack) :

archery-stretch_3.jpg

I saw one well known power lifter do a set a dips, a young bloke that teaches others.
He clicked 10kg to his waist and did about 5 or 6 took him about 45 seconds and moved about 10 inches.
Hopped off and said wow that was hard.

....functional strength. :eek:

30kg for 5 sets of ten. Every rep as low as the joint allows, elbow a touch above the shoulder at the bottom. 115kg bodyweight. Very slow eccentric then pause at the bottom on the first rep.

Recently just doing bodyweight and struggling as I moved them to post heavy bench sessions with extra volume work (5 sets of 10) tacked on the end, 65-75% of 1RM.

I've done +45 for 8, but I've been recovering from torn rotator cuffs since August, I still do them occasionally on rings, but never with more than 10kg

I have not benched for 6 weeks, I only weighted dipped + pec deck or something like that for 6 weeks for chest.

Before this period I could bench 110 kg x 5 reps x 3 sets.
After this period (yesterday) I benched 110 kg x 7 reps x 3 sets.

Not a huge improvement, but still improvement (with no benching at all for 6 weeks).

Also, my shoulders and my elbows are perfect, no pain at all.

So, in my case, yes, weighted dips helped improve the benching performance (or at least did not make it worse).

I have not benched for 6 weeks, I only weighted dipped + pec deck or something like that for 6 weeks for chest.

Not a huge improvement, but still improvement (with no benching at all for 6 weeks).

So, in my case, yes, weighted dips helped improve the benching performance (or at least did not make it worse).

Awesome.

Nice!

does not surprise me.

Have always thought that, once you have a skill, you can do a variety of related exercises and still get improvement.

the first time I ever deadlifted (early 1980s), I pulled 215kg at 81kg, just from Olympic lifting training.

You can often work around injuries and come back near the level you were when you stopped a particular exercise, assuming the injury is not too serious.

I could not do dips for nearly 2 years, then one day pain was gone and I pumped out 30 reps in a matter of a few sessions.

Last edited: