• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

what are peoples oppinions on bulking/cutting for the beginner or where someone is at

He thinks you are too fat obviously. If you had patience you could do a straight recomp by eating maintenance and slowly dropping bf and increasing muscle but it takes a while and needs patience. He probably thinks that, as with nearly everyone, you won't have the patience for a method like that so he is making you get leaner first. He may not even believe in recomp but either way just follow what he says. Each method leads to the same final result some are just a tad quicker.

Yer ur right, im actually not fat, but i had a fair bit of body fat when i started with him, ive lost a fair bit in just 5 weeks and like i said im starting to look skinny. I hope to god he gets me to start bulking soon lol.

What normal people call fat and what bodybuilding coaches call fat are two completely different things.

I asked him about bulking soon, this was his response.

Only you are looking at it like you are “cutting” first – its just what your body is doing which is shedding excess chub – not really a “cutting” diet at all – but yes you had more fat than not when we started so we’d like to get the metabolism more finely tuned otherwise –bulking you up is just making you fat – send me new pictures then at next check in as well – and send your meal to meal diet too – but not till next week’s check in

Don't really understand how bulking up is just adding fat. Yes fat gain will happen but if done correctly it should be controlled.

I dont think he means it that way mate, i think he means if i try to bulk right now, where im at, i will just end up getting fat. Like he said i have to get my metabolism tuned first before i bulk, i myself have no idea what hes talking about, and its the same with all his other clients, but they have told me not to question his methods and just do what he says.

He actually makes people do a very long bulk up to begin if there skinny, which had me confused as to why he didnt have me bulk straight away, and the above was his answer to me.

Last edited:
I get it now, I dont need to bulk, i have been on a muscle gaining diet all along, i just didnt realise it. Scott explained to me that i have enough body fat for my body to use for energy for new muscle growth. Bulking up (eating in a calorie surplus) will just give my body more energy that it doesnt need at the moment> I was thinking im getting skinny, but im actually building muscle (slowly) and burning alot of fat off very fast. I see things so clearlly now.

I get it now, I dont need to bulk, i have been on a muscle gaining diet all along, i just didnt realise it. Scott explained to me that i have enough body fat for my body to use for energy for new muscle growth. Bulking up (eating in a calorie surplus) will just give my body more energy that it doesnt need. I was thinking im getting skinny, but im actually build muscle and burning alot of fat off. I see things so clearlly now.

phew thats a relief

He said, when bodybuilding. There is no such thing as bulking and cutting> only muscle gain and calorie surplus and deficits and to never rely on results by stepping on a scale, its not the be all end all of results.

He said, when bodybuilding. There is no such thing as bulking and cutting> only muscle gain and calorie surplus and deficits and to never rely on results by stepping on a scale, its not the be all end all of results.

which is another word for bulking and cutting.
Agree on scale

Completely agree with the scales comment.

Everything else you've said in the past few posts makes zero sense.

To be honest I would be doing whatever your coach is telling you do, BUT I would asking a lot of why questions so you can understand why he is getting you to do certain things, this will help you learn and increase your knowledge instead of just blindly following what someone says.

which is another word for bulking and cutting.
Agree on scale

Someone said to me today, ur looking small, when do u start building size, what they dont realise is..... i am building size, *muscle mass* Obviouslly because ive lost 8 kilos of fat and probly only put on 1 kilo of muscle they dont see it that way.

Someone said to me today, ur looking small, when do u start building size, what they dont realise is..... i am building size, *muscle mass* Obviouslly because ive lost 8 kilos of fat and probly only put on 1 kilo of muscle they dont see it that way.

Assuming your not using steriods....

If you lost 8 kilos... over a kilo of that loss would have been muscle mass...

Not sure how you think that you added a 1kg of muscle mass while being in a constant calorie deficit...

Assuming your not using steriods....

If you lost 8 kilos... over a kilo of that loss would have been muscle mass...

Not sure how you think that you added a 1kg of muscle mass while being in a constant calorie deficit...

So ur saying, you cant burn fat and build muscle?

I still have a fair bit of body fat, im not ripped or anything yet.

I lost 55kg over a year. For the final 3 or so months of dieting at 5500kJ per day I went from around 35kg to 45kg on the military press. I improved my chin up ability too, and my biceps got bigger (so it wasn't just the weight loss helping with chins).

After coming off dieting muscle gain sped up a fair bit. But in my experience if you're using the muscle as you diet you will add to it, albeit slowly.

Ive seen people with dexas lose 5kg of fat and gain 0.5kgs lbm. Dont believe they were nubs.
But you said your looking skinner and skinnier. Probably not enough lbm to cut. I looked bigger when i cut.

Body recomp

Last edited: