• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What's holding you back?

PTCCanberra

I've been thinking a bit about my own training and what I'm missing and am interested to hear from you guys.

What's holding your training back? More importantly what are you doing to fix the issue?

At the moment it is hours in the day, especially on Mondays.
I finish work at 4, get to the gym at 4:30, stretch and start benching doing 7 or 8 working sets, then I need to warm up and do 10 sets of squats, then I'll do another 7 or 8 sets of bench as well. Then for extra work I need to get in some pec flies to stretch out my pecs and delts, some triceps then hamstrings work as well. I leave the gym at 8pm and often fall short on the extra work.

Aiming to build my work capacity up a bit so I can get the sets done a bit faster. I could really do with getting in a good 10 sets of hamstrings on Monday night I think

Time, always not enough time and to top it off the flue or cold will creep in to fuck me up even more.
what am I doing about it? Having a whinge about it here.

Time gets me and also work, got all the gear at work to train but been so busy lately can't even look at it

I tend to travel often and erratically for work. Where I travel the facilities and diet are sometimes not so good.

When I'm not traveling I still work long hours and there are three kids with sports interests. My son's weightlifting training now takes precedence over my own lifting.

Over the last couple of years I'd be lucky to get two consecutive months of training without interruption; fortunately I have 30 years of training of the muscle memory to draw upon so the foundation strength levels are not puny.

How to fix it:

Retire, go to non-executive capacity
Better dietary preparation when travelling
Establish remote gyms at various locations
Overlap more of my own training with my Son's Olympic Lifting
Get more sleep

Too much emphasis on fun party trashy slutty weekends. It weakens my mind.

How to fix it: Less hedonism, more training and balancing my recreational activities out.

Diet. Easily, being a chef is ironically the worst for food prep getting decent nutrition in.

Suprisingly time isnt an issue, been working two jobs for the last two months, 6-7 days a week and have it set out I can get in 6-9 hours of training a week (3 x 2-3 hour sessions).

Diet is my biggest issue. I'm a very picky eater and I find it very hard to prep food, which is a recipe for failure.

Been trying to really focus on prepping my food, it's hard but I'm doing well so far.

My other problem is motivation I lack it big time. Been trying to fix it, dunno how though.

time and work. my work is erratic sometimes working 13-14 days straight then 4-5 days off and being manual labour it can wear me down a bit when im really busy. The other thing is wife and a 1 year old daughter. im expected to be around a lot more to help wifey out so i sometimes have to sneak in a gym session right before or after i start work, like today ;)

Time I can train, that's why I've switched to bodybuilding for a year as even though it's brutal from a diet perspective, I can do the work when time is available.

I figured to get better at powerlifting I would need to make some pretty significant life changes, and try to train at the only powerlifting gym in Hobart where the guys generally train early afternoon while I'm still at work.

I've had to make the realisation that a wife and two kids, along with a full time job doesn't lend itself to me being a top tier athlete, but doesn't mean I can't have decently powerful physique.

Time for me aswell - I know I prob have the time to train longer but I need to make sure I make it/get up earlier/push myself after work/make use of the weekends etc.

Good old diet aswell - prob 99% of people fall into this - I tend to either eat to much or to little and sometimes feel I am playing catch up - which of course sets you back training wise.

injuries without a doubt. Currently nursing thoracic disc bulges and a stress fracture of the clavicle.

What I'm doing about it: not aggravating them and doing my rehab stuff daily and being very patient.

Damn injuries. They have held me back alot since nationals last year...currently not holding me back.

What im doing about it: training smarter, not harder.

I should add that with mine I've started making sure that I get at least 8 hours a night, and for now trying to curb calorie intake until I'm ~110kg or so.

Do any of you people claiming that you don't have enough time have kids?? Cause if you don't have kids there is plenty of time it's probably more your motivation that needs improving. I always thought I had no time and was too busy, but after having kids I realized the amount of time I that I wasted.
Oni you start training at 4:30! How much more time do you need. I start at 7:30 after I have worked and sorted the kids and house, you just need to time manage better that's all.