• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When is a warmup set a warm up set and when is it a working set?

kindred

I have been wondering when something goes from being a warm up to being a working set.

Does anyone have any opinions?

If i did 10kg less weight than my intended working sets would that be a warmup or just another working set?

I generally do 50% of training weight as my first warmup set, for between 15-20 reps. Then i increase the weight to around 60-70% of training weight and no another warmup set, then start the training sets.

I'm the same. 50% is my warm up set. I usually do more reps too.

You can't say 10kg less, because if you are lifting 150kg deadlifts, I wouldn't consider 140kg a warm up.

50% seems really light tho. At that % i dont even feel the weight on the bar, or is that the point? I always thought the point was to lift a weight you can feel but lift easily. For me its closer to 70% my working sets. Im all messed up I know haha.

I meant 50% of your low rep max. So 123kg is my max for deadlifts, I warm up on around 60-70kg

I do 50% as I do slow, controlled reps that are more stretching the muscles then training them.

I do stretches arms, back, lower back and then a few shoulder reps with 5kilo weight.

I feel targeting those small muscles, tendones around the moving parts are better than the muscles you intend to smash. But that is just my experience.

Whatever weight I can just do 10-15 reps with, that's my warm-up set.

Whatever weight I can just do 6-10 reps with, those are my work sets.

Some people prefer higher, like 20 warm-up and 12 work; some lower, like 10 warmup and 5 work.

I like a short but intense workout, so I do 1x warmup set, and 2-3x work sets of each exercise. Others prefer a longer workout, or they focus on one bodypart for that session and do the others in other sessions; so they have 2-4 warmup sets and 2-4 work sets.

Generally speaking, higher weight and lower reps builds strength and size, and lower weight and higher reps builds fitness. But if you don't push yourself, you won't build anything. That said, in the first few months, just focus on getting into a rhythm of regular exercise - nothing works if you don't do it regularly! - and learning the movements of the machines and weights or your chosen sport. It's better to lift 10kg with good form than 30kg sloppily.

Everyone starts on a lower weight which is kind of a warm up set.

thats why I do 5 sets - firs one is usually just bar 20 reps fast and full range.

second set is a 12 reps and high weight. next 3 are going up up MAX so from 1-4 sets it should be heavy but not so heavy you can't push out 12.