• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When should you wear a belt?

All this discussion:confused:

It's simple really, if two people of the same size and build have a 1RM squat of 200kg, one uses a belt and one does not, who will have more functional real world strength of supporting core muscles and stabilizers???

I would say without a question the person able to do it without the belt.

Why are most people training. To build real world strength and muscle. Unless you are training for competition where belts are allowed to be used, and as such not using one would place you at a disadvantage there is no point in using a belt.

Ryan, I think I will take the opinion of the 200kg + squatters over your and Oni's regurgitated internet articles. At the end of the day those guys know how to build a strong core and squat big numbers. Just remind me again where is your squat at? Has wearing a belt aided you attaining that squat? Oh wait thats right it doesn't matter because you like me squat sweet fuck all so we should probably take the sage advice of those in our presence that can squat, after all it stands to reason that their methodology works, they have the runs on the board.
So, to be clear, it's reasonable for you to fall back on strong guys on this forum, but it's not reasonable for me to fall back on strong guys from outside this forum?

You're right, it doesn't matter what I think about getting strong, it matters what those who are strong think about it. And there are plenty of people who get strong without a belt, and there are plenty of people who get strong with a belt. This, in itself, demonstrates that both options are viable and result in stronger lifters, although as always your mileage may vary. Once again, my experience is that I progress better with a belt than without.

Before I started using a belt, I'd push progress until I couldn't progress any further, deload, then push progress again....and make great big epic 2.5kg PR's before having to rinse and repeat. This was on supposedly "proven" programs, with lots of food (often enough to gain 0.5-1kg/wk) and sleep, and obviously much weaker lifts than I have now. With the use of a belt, I've been able to push progress for longer before having to deload. And my beltless squats improve as my belted squats improve. That's my experience, the same experience I referred to in my original post.

Was the original question about when someone must wear a belt? Or about when someone should wear a belt? I recall it being the latter, in which case I'll return to and elaborate on my previous conclusion: a belt should be worn when it's beneficial to do so, and especially when it's more beneficial to wear one than not to wear one.

You know that bit where people who have limited training experience should stop thinking they really know what the fuck they're talking about?

I concur.

7 fucking pages.

If you squat less then 3 plates, the only belt you need is to hold your pants up UNLESS your compete.

Scott will a belt help support my back? I don't care if it helps me lift more. BUT if it will help to prevent repeated injuries. I would be keen to give it a go.

I don't think a belt helps support the back
It increases abdominal pressure which will support your back... but then you most likely go ahead and add more weight anyway so you're still handling limit weights

I agree with Oni..... Even if he contradicts himself in the same post lol.

As far as backs go, they just need to be fixed.

... And yes, I know it's not always that easy :D.

tbh I think it goes with my original argument
you should be doing a shitload of extra midsection work anyway

Sticky, what do your noobs do? UDL and planks? Strongman shit as assistance? GHR and roman chair sit-ups?

Weighted planks, UDL, GHR and banded ab work.

To be honest, I rarely do any of it.
But will be in the next cycle.

are weighted planks and ab wheel roll outs a better choice than say crunches/situps/pulldown abs as assistance work? at this point my belted squat 1rm is about 15kg higher than my non belted squat and even worse would be my deadlift in this regard, i feel like this could be a huge weak point to work on (i do most of my work sets unbelted as it is, only using my belt on 1rms/3rms and do rollouts twice a week with 10kg added for 3-5 sets of 10)

If you are allowed to wear a belt on a competition day.

Would you think it be wise to use one on a training day prior to that day?

Most def.

It doesn't matter what your belief is, if it enables you to lift an extra 15kg you're going to use it.

Creating a template to biuld strength in specific weak areas requires certain exercises, not accessories.

Last edited:
are weighted planks and ab wheel roll outs a better choice than say crunches/situps/pulldown abs as assistance work? at this point my belted squat 1rm is about 15kg higher than my non belted squat and even worse would be my deadlift in this regard, i feel like this could be a huge weak point to work on (i do most of my work sets unbelted as it is, only using my belt on 1rms/3rms and do rollouts twice a week with 10kg added for 3-5 sets of 10)

Yes, one of the most important muscles are the obliques as they are responsible for the abdominal pressure when squatting. When you're squatting and deadlifting, you're not really training them so much, just maximally tensing them. This on it's own obviously gives good results. I think Louie Simmons also said that the obliques actually aid in hip extension as well. Crunches and so on only really train the front abdominals so you should really train the obliques.

If you are allowed to wear a belt on a competition day.

Would you think it be wise to use one on a training day prior to that day?

Most def.

Normally I only use my belt when I'm around 90% but a month out from comp I will begin to introduce it earlier to practice using it before I hit my close to max weights.

Arguably however, aren't you sacrificing gains in leg strength if your back strength is limiting your squat however?

Well that is the point, and this is how you prevent injury and develop a balanced strong physique. No good having all this leg strength when your core is not strong enough to support it.

This is why squats are so good, they build the legs and all supporting structures to hopefully eliminate any weak links in the chain. Using band aids such as belts during squat training will take away from this and promote an unbalanced development of strength.

Like I said earlier, in MY OPINION and experience there is no point using a belt if your aim is just training to get stronger. If you are competing in a class where belts are used, well I would suggest using a belt for the maximum 1RM lifts and very heavy training, but I would still not use a belt for general day to day training for reasons already mentioned.

Last edited:
Using band aids such as belts during squat training will take away from this and promote an unbalanced development of strength.

1300044776986.jpg

Again, agree with Oni.

What evidence do you have mick that using a belt at an intermediate+ level will create imbalances?

I squat 265kg, wear a belt, do no extra ab work, and have a very strong back.
I'm not a one off, my gym is literally full of lifters like me.