• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When should you wear a belt?

3 weeks 0ut from a comp when the numbers start to rise.
The belt comes out.

On anything < 85% max. Its non-belts all the way.

3 weeks out from a comp? your not going to build any more strength.....

Why limit poundages when the strength is being built?

3 weeks out from a comp? your not going to build any more strength.....

Why limit poundages when the strength is being built?

i work up to the triples 3 weeks out for openers..
BUt i mainly do it as a mental thing/safety thing. The hard work was already done in weeks 1-7.

Well, there goes the idea of knowing for sure whether I should or not! :D

Didn't mean to start that shitstorm. I guess that's how it goes though, with any "lifting theory" stuff.

Eh. I'll wait for a while before buying a belt. If ever. Same goes for straps, etc.

At least it's interesting, and I've learned some things - maybe others have too. So it's all good.

Last edited:
the only times i have worn a belt is when deadlifting around 90% of 1 rep max for multiple reps and sets.. other then that i never used a belt. i always went on strengthening my core enough to support what i lifted, if i used a belt more often i could of learnt to use it to assist me in the lift but ive always lifted 100% raw,
granted i dont lift very heavy much anymore due to sport changes.
but if i were to take it up again id consider a belt but only when its actually heavy

and straps for deadlifting...... pfffftttttttttt,,,,, never used them in training unless it was again for heavy DL going for max reps on a very heavy weight. otherwise grip strength just needs to get stronger .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M87d4JTzUNw]When Should You Wear A Belt - YouTube[/ame]

Strong opinion from a strong man

What evidence do you have mick that using a belt at an intermediate+ level will create imbalances?

The fact that it allows you to lift more than your body is capable of.

Again what is the point unless your are competing in an event where it would place you at an disadvantage??

I have asked that question several times, but it has not been answered.

I mean my lifts are not heavy compared to some here, but I don't entirely train for strength, I manly train for health and wellbeing and because I love it and the way it makes me feel and what it allows me to do.

The fact that it allows you to lift more than your body is capable of.

The belt doesn't lift it for you.

Again what is the point unless your are competing in an event where it would place you at an disadvantage??

I have asked that question several times, but it has not been answered.

Greater stimulus has the potential to lead to greater progress.

I mean my lifts are not heavy compared to some here, but I don't entirely train for strength, I manly train for health and wellbeing and because I love it and the way it makes me feel and what it allows me to do.

This is a perfectly reasonable perspective. If you have no interest in using a belt or don't believe it will assist you in reaching your goals, there is no need to use one.

Being able to lift more doesn't create an imbalance..... I'm not sure how just typing that means it evidence.

There is no point in wearing one if you aren't interested in numbers..... I don't recall saying otherwise.

The video i posted fully explains it
Trying to find a video from paul carter explaining it more

Well here is another opinion, It's easy to find articles videos to support your point of view, does not make it right.

Weight Lifting Belts: To Wear or Not to Wear | StrongLifts.com

Here is the basics of it:

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE:

Do You Need Weight Belts?

If you don't feel like reading the whole pdf, here are some of the key points of Stuart McGill's research.

If you never injured your back, wearing a belt adds no safety.
If you injure yourself while wearing a belt, the injury is more severe.
To get the most out of weight belts, you must lift with bad technique.
If you want to lift a few more pounds, wear a weight belt.

Why I Never Recommend Weight Belts. Guy subscribes to a gym. Does Biceps Curls like the other guys. Gets stronger. Hyper-extends his back on each rep to get even stronger. Gets lower back pain.

He wears a belt upon recommendation of the gym people. No more pain. Back to curls, but still hyper-extending his back. Pain comes back, but worse. Doctor diagnoses him with a hernia. Weight lifting gets bad reputation again.

It was Biceps Curls, but it could have been Squats or Deadlifts. If you don't lift correctly, you'll injure yourself. That's why I don't recommend belts: they give a false sense of security. And according to McGill, injuries get more severe.

And another opinion:

http://news.runtowin.com/2006/07/19/why-weightlifting-gloves-and-weight-belts-are-bad.html

Last edited:
Sorry, got to "to wear a belt you must use bad technique".

You're right, you can find an article that supports you're argument, but you need to know what's retarted and what's not.

Sorry, got to "to wear a belt you must use bad technique".

You're right, you can find an article that supports you're argument, but you need to know what's retarted and what's not.

Yeah that's bullshit. My technique doesn't really change belt or not.

Do You Need Weight Belts?

If you don't feel like reading the whole pdf, here are some of the key points of Stuart McGill's research.

If you never injured your back, wearing a belt adds no safety.
If you injure yourself while wearing a belt, the injury is more severe.
To get the most out of weight belts, you must lift with bad technique.
If you want to lift a few more pounds, wear a weight belt.

Why I Never Recommend Weight Belts. Guy subscribes to a gym. Does Biceps Curls like the other guys. Gets stronger. Hyper-extends his back on each rep to get even stronger. Gets lower back pain.

He wears a belt upon recommendation of the gym people. No more pain. Back to curls, but still hyper-extending his back. Pain comes back, but worse. Doctor diagnoses him with a hernia. Weight lifting gets bad reputation again.

It was Biceps Curls, but it could have been Squats or Deadlifts. If you don't lift correctly, you'll injure yourself. That's why I don't recommend belts: they give a false sense of security. And according to McGill, injuries get more severe.

I don't think anyone has suggested that lifting with poor form is anything but silly.

The McGill article makes many references to occupational/therapeutic belt use and this is not applicable to strength training. As regards strength training the article states:

"There is no question that belts assist in generating torso stiffness to reduce the risk of spine buckling in extreme heavy lifts."

I would argue that this is the benefit most people receive when correctly using a powerlifting belt, and which allows them to lift slightly higher loads.

It also stated:

"There is no question that belts assist in generating a few more Newton-meters (or foot-pounds) of torque in the torso through elastic recoil of a bent torso that is stiffened with a belt. However, if a neutral spine is preserved throughout the lift this effect is minimal. In other words, to obtain the maximal effect from a belt, the 6 lifter must lift poorly and in a way that exposed the back to a much higher risk of injury!"

But again, no one in this thread as far as I'm aware has said that poor technique is desired or optimal.

The article is also adapted from a book which appears to be directed to athletic performance, as seen in his conclusion where he refers to various sports and states:

"The best athletes are able to generate motion but know when to stiffen with extremely rapid muscle activation together with rapid muscle relaxation. Techniques for training this skill involve selective plyometric exercise which in my 7 opinion is generally encumbered by wearing a belt. Thus, I modify my opinion for speed training and consider belts inappropriate when used in this way."

So his concern is dramatically different to that of a powerlifter.

Finally, as with all studies, you must consider whether or not their technique was even applicable - most studies look at bullshit exercises or utilise bullshit form.

I don't think anyone has suggested that lifting with poor form is anything but silly.

The McGill article makes many references to occupational/therapeutic belt use and this is not applicable to strength training. As regards strength training the article states:

"There is no question that belts assist in generating torso stiffness to reduce the risk of spine buckling in extreme heavy lifts."

I would argue that this is the benefit most people receive when correctly using a powerlifting belt, and which allows them to lift slightly higher loads.

It also stated:

"There is no question that belts assist in generating a few more Newton-meters (or foot-pounds) of torque in the torso through elastic recoil of a bent torso that is stiffened with a belt. However, if a neutral spine is preserved throughout the lift this effect is minimal. In other words, to obtain the maximal effect from a belt, the 6 lifter must lift poorly and in a way that exposed the back to a much higher risk of injury!"

But again, no one in this thread as far as I'm aware has said that poor technique is desired or optimal.

The article is also adapted from a book which appears to be directed to athletic performance, as seen in his conclusion where he refers to various sports and states:

"The best athletes are able to generate motion but know when to stiffen with extremely rapid muscle activation together with rapid muscle relaxation. Techniques for training this skill involve selective plyometric exercise which in my 7 opinion is generally encumbered by wearing a belt. Thus, I modify my opinion for speed training and consider belts inappropriate when used in this way."

So his concern is dramatically different to that of a powerlifter.

Finally, as with all studies, you must consider whether or not their technique was even applicable - most studies look at bullshit exercises or utilise bullshit form.

I agree 100% but it was just to illustrate that you can find articles supporting anything if you look long and hard enough thats all, these only came up after a 10 second google search, could probably find many more if I looked long and hard enough.

Horses for courses I guess and at the end of the day each person needs to do what they feel like they need to do.

Personally I will not be using a belt and I will not be competing as that is not my reason fro training. A lot of people get confused in this sport by looking at what professional power lifters do or what professional body builders do without knowing the reasons behind it.

For casual lifter like myself not aiming for any of the above the use of a belt would be pointless and in my opinion counter productive for what I want to get out of my training.

So getting back to the OP original question at the end of the day it does not matter, what ever makes him feel warm and fuzzy inside, but at his level I think a belt would be pointless and counter productive to worry about belts. But if it makes him feel happy inside and makes him sleep better at night go ahead and buy and wear a belt.

What flying fuck does that even have to do with anything
My jmmies have entered maximum overrustle

I've found that when I've worn a belt, I've suffered back strains when doing dynamic movements from what I think is structural movement due to core being weaker due to the use of the belt in prior workouts.

But always open to new ideas and links, though some long posts make my eyes glaze over and I think of donuts....Mmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!