• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Where is my diet going wrong?

Shank

Hey guys,

I have been on this diet for a while now and wanted to see where i could change it, i'm starting to think that my lifts are suffering possibly caused by my diet, or maybe i just haven't broken the plateau yet.

Anyway i aim for 3300 - 3400 cal a day and my diet looks like this

breakie;
4 oatbrits 500ml skim milk and a bannana

lunch;
250 - 350 gram chicken breast (curry)
depending on how much chicken i have rice is usually 100 - 175 grams (basmati), and some veggies

afternoon (while on the floor)
500 ml skim milk

40 min - 1 hour prior to training;
tuna sandwich - whole meal bread with lettuce - usually have a bannana here and a single vit b complex tablet

post workout;
100g oatmass 50g protein shake

dinner usually simmilar to lunch - it is sometimes completely vegatarian aswell.

zma 1 hour before bed then wpc+ skim milk prior to bed.

ontop of this i have optimum opti-men multi - v on its way which is a 3 times daily i will have with the first 3 meals not dinner.

So where am i going wrong?

Cheers

You should include what your goal is and elaborate more on your lifts so the guys can see why you've gone for the diet choices that you have.

My goal is mass gain - i am currently 77.5 kgs and wish to get to 85 kgs.

i am increasing on certain lifts but i have been stuck on the same for, bb curls, bench has been at 60kgs for about 1 month now - i do 3 sets x 12 reps, normally get to 11 reps on the last set. I do front squats as i have no rack and thats stayed idle as well. And i also get a slightly sore back after doing them. i have also stalled on supinated bb row

Movements like skull crushers and barbell hack squats i have been able to move more weight in.

Hey guys,

I have been on this diet for a while now and wanted to see where i could change it, i'm starting to think that my lifts are suffering possibly caused by my diet, or maybe i just haven't broken the plateau yet.

Anyway i aim for 3300 - 3400 cal a day and my diet looks like this

breakie;
4 oatbrits 500ml skim milk and a bannana
I would replace the banana with a protein shake of 30-40grams of protein

lunch;
250 - 350 gram chicken breast (curry)
depending on how much chicken i have rice is usually 100 - 175 grams (basmati), and some veggies

afternoon (while on the floor)
500 ml skim milk
30grams of almonds

40 min - 1 hour prior to training;
tuna sandwich - whole meal bread with lettuce - usually have a bannana here and a single vit b complex tablet
How much tuna? I would put the big can (185g) in the sandwhich

post workout;
100g oatmass 50g protein shake

dinner usually simmilar to lunch - it is sometimes completely vegatarian aswell.

zma 1 hour before bed then wpc+ skim milk prior to bed.
Replace the skim milk with unhogenized organic full cream 250-500ml or add almonds

These would be the changes I would be making...

I'm seeing the word skim in your diet, if you wish to go natural then change it to full cream. There are fat soluble vitamins that need the fat, the saturated fat that you're taking out. If it was there in the beginning then it was there for a very good reason. A reason like this for example: saturated fats that come with the milk help the body digest and absorb the high calcium content of the milk. And why would that be important I hear you ask! Because undissolved, undigested, and unabsorbed calcium could spell a disaster later on in life for you in the way of osteoporosis and kidney stones, not to mention a lack of good muscle contraction (and pump) whilst you're working out.

I just picked on a single item of your diet.

Fadi.

I am moving more to the conclusion that most diet choices are for health reasons and if you are interested in size you really just need to get in the calories. If you get your protein and fat amounts correct for optimal hormonal levels and enough aminos in the blood for muscle building the rest is usually down to getting in enough calories to actually put on weight. The other stuff is really all related to your overall health which is actually, of course, very important but in regards to growth get adequate protein and fats and then just makes sure you are getting in enough calories, if you are not growing then you obviously need more. If you are growing but you find it slow, you need more patience and need to look at the final picture (1kg a month is 12kgs a year which is A LOT of muscle).

My long way to my point is you need to re read my last sentence and see if it is just a patience thing or not, then add more calories if needed. Specifically in regards to your diet I think you have the protein content you need but the fat content maybe too low. Daniels almonds and his and Fadi's milk recommendations are good. Look at adding some fish oil, avocado etc to your diet.

thanks fadi and all who responded, so apart from the milk anything else fadi?

Shank (what's your name by the way?), you state your goal as such:

If you know anything about me then you would know I'm not one to complicate things. Therefore, I suggest the following:

1. Don't count calories but eat wholesome food (chicken breast is not wholesome food) but chicken is. What's wrong with buying half or quarter of a chicken and eating everything except the bones! Whole eggs, whole milk, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, basmati rice, legumes (beans), meat, butter on Burgen bread that has been toasted (yummy)! Fruits and veggies, nuts and dry fruits etc and so forth. Just eat and when you're simply sick and tired of eating, then drink your food. Here’s a present I’ve put together for you that would guarantee you reach 85kg in no time:

Apple Power
500ml apple juice
30g WPC/WPI
30g Oatmass
30g pitted prunes
2 eggs
1 tbsp macadamia oil

Cal 820, C 87, P 45, F 32
C 43%, P 22%, F 35%

2. You obviously have a fast metabolism, so drop your training back to 3x/week and focus on the muscle builders and endocrine system supercharges. These are the following:

A. Squats
B. Bench press
C. Dead lift
D. One arm d/bell rows
E. Press b/neck

All done at 3 sets for between 8-10 reps. Aim to increase your weights by 2.5% each week and do this program fro 3 months solid before contemplating a change.

3. Restrict your non gym activities until you reach your desired weight of 85kg. After that, we’ll talk…

If you feel that I have somewhat taken over your whole eating and weight program, then you are at liberty to disregard any or all that I've shared with you above. I would hate to intrude...

I sincerly wish you all the very best Sir.

Fadi.

Last edited:
If you feel that I have somewhat taken over your whole eating and weight program, then you are at liberty to disregard any or all that I've shared with you above.

Don't do this as he has given you very good advice.

dave, you mentioned something about aminos, that may be something i have to work on.

fadi my name is shank lol.

Although in regards to that plan i have already those movements incorporated into my plan and i train 3 times a week. although i am aiming for 10 - 12 reps should i drop that back?

also for intra workout i need somethign to get me through to the end, i have been looking at xtend, what do you guys think, or can you suggest me somethign else that is cheaper that will get the job done?

Thanks for your help guys!

Aminos are proteins so you kind of already have that covered. You can take some extra BCAA or just more leucine throughout the day but really it will not make a good enough % a difference for the cost of it. What is your workout now?

monday:

legs and shoulders
BB squats
RDLs or SLDL
barbell hacksquat
db lunges longer stride
Standing calf raises
Seated Db shoulder press
lateral raises

wed:

Flat BB bench
Incline Db bench
Dips
Flat flys
CGBP
Skull crushers

fri:
deadlifts
chinups
barbell rows
DB Shrugs
Barbell curls
Hammer curls

all 10 - 12 reps except any dl's which is 6 reps

and dips where i can only manage max 8, so i am doing weighted negative dips atm

so what do you think of that xtend stuff for intra workout and added energy?

Your program is partly your problem, you are not stimulating your muscles frequently enough for a beginner. Correct that and add some more calories and you should grow and get stronger.

can you give me an example dave?
I'll give you an example Shank ( one I've already given you earlier).

A. Squats
B. Bench press
C. Dead lift
D. One arm d/bell rows
E. Press b/neck

All done at 3 sets for between 8-10 reps. Aim to increase your weights by 2.5% each week and do this program for 3 months solid before contemplating a change.

In other words cut these out:

barbell hacksquat
db lunges longer stride
Standing calf raises
lateral raises
Flat flys
Skull crushers
DB Shrugs
Barbell curls
Hammer curls

There are possibly more but you get the idea I'm sure.

In a nutshell: legs, shoulders, chest, back, (and arms indirectly) done 3x/week.

Fadi

Last edited:
Fadi has it covered. I'd be increasing calories until you start gaining. You may already have a jacked metabolism, and any incidental activity might be blunting your progress. I had a mate like this. Put him on 500-700 over maintenance and he wasn't gaining size.

He told me all he was doing was the program i'd set, but then I found out he'd walk to and from gym (15 mins each way), as well as indoor soccer and a few other misc things. Once we've cut those back he started gaining. Then he incorporated other activities slowly while increasing his calories respectively.

thanks guys, thansk fadi i missed it on the last page, so that routine is all i need to gain size and eating? So what is wrong wityh my current routine?

Can i do some isolation arm work at all skull crushers curls etc?