• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Where is my diet going wrong?

If you feel the need and have the energy to add some curls and skullcrushers after you have done those heavy worksets go for it if it will keep you doing the program, consistency is key. If you think you can leave them be and still keep to the program that would be best.

so if i can just ask, how come that routine would be more efficient in my goal to bulk then what i am currently on, i know it has more compound movements, although don't some muscles need to be targeted specifally to grow, like with this the arms will get hit indirectly, is that enough to stimulate them to grow?

thanks guys, thansk fadi i missed it on the last page, so that routine is all i need to gain size and eating? So what is wrong wityh my current routine?

Can i do some isolation arm work at all skull crushers curls etc?

I've always said that it takes a real man to hold back in order to go forward. Are you that man Shank?!

Fadi.

although all i wanted to know was why that way of working would be better then what i am currently doing.

although all i wanted to know was why that way of working would be better then what i am currently doing.

Because it's more efficient. We’re not talking about this program is better than that one; just more appropriate for your needs at this point in time.

The alternative is 100 isolation exercises that would directly target every muscle in your body which would not only hamper your recovery and force you to eat a ton more of calories, but would serve no purpose in stimulating your endocrine system which looks after your hormones release. Worst still, too much of a good thing and you can begin to weaken your immune system unless of course you are prepared to eat like I was eating; 13500 calories to compensate for all your extra workload.

I think (I'm not sure), that you maybe thinking that if you don't do some isolation work for your arms that somehow they will not grow or worse, shrink! Rest assured, once you pack on the beef, your arms would get their fair share in the way of added size.

Fadi.

thanks fadi, so with this routine all muscle groups are worked either directly or indirectly, and i will still grow evenly ? lol

thanks fadi, so with this routine all muscle groups are worked either directly or indirectly, and i will still grow evenly ? lol
Shank my brother, when you gain weight whilst seriously training, you gain more muscles than you would fat. Now where do you think the 5kg or 10kg of added bodyweight is going to go if not spread all over your body.

And let me put your mind at ease even some more because I've got some suspicion that you still doubt what I'm sharing with you my friend.

When you did or will do your bench press and your b/neck press, would your triceps be assisting your larger (main) muscles with the lift or would the triceps be just a piece of meat sitting there doing nothing? We both know the answer but I'm still not satisfied and would like to give you more proof that your triceps is working overtime here, much more than you have ever imagined.

Proof:

Have you heard of the pre-exhaust principle? It's where you isolate your main working muscles from your assistant muscle/s. We have both agreed from my previous explanation that the tris are not merely sitting pretty whilst you're busting your ass pushing that bar off your chest or above your head; you're with me so far? Good...

Now if we want the triceps to go to sleep or rather take a nap instead, whist we're (say) performing our bench or press above head, we bring in the pre-exhaust principle and begin to do flys for the chest and side laterals for the deltoids before performing the main compound exercise.

Can you see what is happening here Shank? Flys= no tris, and side laterals= no tris. Now momentarily our chest and delts are fried whilst our tris are happy taking their nap. Now we move onto the main compound exercise and we find something beautiful has just taken place. We find that every rep in our compound exercise is actually felt by the muscles we've intended to train, i.e. chest and shoulders. Why do we feel that way? Because these muscles have been previously fried (pre-exhausted) and now find that they would have to do all the work where the tris are still waking up from their earlier nap feeling fresh and strong. Why? Because we have eliminated them (the tris) from getting involved earlier and now they are still not going to play a big part in our compounds because our main muscles are going to give up way before our fresh tris (which are usually the bottleneck/weak link) in these compound movements.

You Shank, are not performing pre-exhaust anything which means your tris are going to fry and that my friend = SIZE!

PS: Don't forget, that just because you don't feel sore in your tris after the bench or the above head press does not mean your tris are not receiving a good stimulus.

Fadi.

Last edited:

Shank my brother, when you gain weight whilst seriously training, you gain more muscles than you would fat. Now where do you think the 5kg or 10kg of added bodyweight is going to go if not spread all over your body.

And let me put your mind at ease even some more because I've got some suspicion that you still doubt what I'm sharing with you my friend.

When you did or will do your bench press and your b/neck press, would your triceps be assisting your larger (main) muscles with the lift or would the triceps be just a piece of meat sitting there doing nothing? We both know the answer but I'm still not satisfied and would like to give you more proof that your triceps is working overtime here, much more than you have ever though.

Proof:

Have you heard of the pre-exhaust principle? It's where you isolate your main working muscles from your assistant muscle/s. We have both agreed from my previous explanation that the tris are not merely sitting pretty whilst you're busting your ass pushing that bar off your chest or above your head; you're with me so far? Good...

Now if we want the triceps to go to sleep or rather take a nap instead, whist we're (say) performing our bench or press above head, we bring in the pre-exhaust principle and begin to do flys for the chest and side laterals for the deltoids before performing the main compound exercise.

Can you see what is happening here Shank? Flys= no tris, and side laterals= no tris. Now momentarily our chest and delts are fried whilst our tris are happy taking their nap. Now we move onto the main compound exercise and we find something beautiful has just taken place. We find that every rep in our compound exercise is actually felt by the muscles we've intended to train, i.e. chest and shoulders. Why do we feel that way? Because these muscles have been previously fried (pre-exhausted) and now find that they would have to do all the work where the tris are still waking up from their earlier nap feeling fresh and strong. Why? Because we have eliminated them (the tris) from getting involved earlier and now they are still not going t play a big part in our compounds because our main muscles are going to give up way before our fresh tris (which are usually the bottleneck/weak link) in these compound movements.

You Shank, are not performing pre-exhaust anything which means your tris are going to fry and that my friend = SIZE!

PS: Don't forget, that just because you don't feel sore in your tris after the bench or the above head press does not mean your tris are not receiving a good stimulus.

Fadi.

Very nice post, thanks for sharing Fadi.

thanks fadi, your a champ.

Let me just ask you, when you say 2.5% up in weight per week, do you usually include the weight of the bar in overall weight or just the plates sitting on the bar?

And if progress does stall, what then? eat more or keep at it and try and lift more the following session?

I think he means 2.5kg and yes include the weight of the bar.

Always endeavour to eat more when your progress stalls.

And if progress does stall,...
I won't be around to notice it since I'd be thinking way to positively on another exercise! Why not ask me what if increasing by 2.5kg seems too light of an increase since I'm feeling up to lifting much more? Ahhh then, I would have said stay with my recommendation and don't rush it... As this is one of the main reasons why lifters plateau. They rush things; increasing their weights by too much too soon then fall flat on their face.

I've told you before (and you've agreed) that it takes a real man to hold back remember! Well, here we go again...

Fadi.

Last edited:
so are you saying start at a weight i know i can do all sets of and not close to what is my maximum for the lifts? and then work up from there ?

i thought that in order to grow you need to stimulate your muscles, and lift heavy, i know you said to hold back, jsut a question in that direction lol, seeing as you guys are so knowledgeable on the subject and i'm still learning.

I have been doing the workout Fadi suggested for about 3 weeks now. After about 8 months of no growth whatsoever, I have put on about 2 kgs. My bf% seems to have gone down as well. I weigh roughly the same as you do shank, so give it a go. ~77kg at 6ft.