• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

workout belts

Sorry lazy, my post was a bit unclear, the rounding only occurs reps 5-8 on my last set when I am royally KOed. Hopefully the belt will help.

Rounding is common when fatigued, both on squats and deads. Even a beginner like me can see that. The young woman I train with at school has a great lumbar arch on the way up with her deadlifts, but rounds on her way down - unless I tell her not to on each and every rep. She's just fatigued and going, "ahhh, I can put it down now!" as she descends.

No need for bandaids, all you need is a training partner or coach, they remind you about a proper neutral spine while you're fatigued, and when you can't manage any more with good form, stop you.

Oliver, I'm not interested in discussing the training of Arnie or Westside, the training of heavy drug users doesn't translate well to drugfree training. The drugs give them powers of recovery which lets them do harmful things drugfree people couldn't do.

No need for bandaids, all you need is a training partner or coach, they remind you about a proper neutral spine while you're fatigued, and when you can't manage any more with good form, stop you.

Oliver, I'm not interested in discussing the training of Arnie or Westside, the training of heavy drug users doesn't translate well to drugfree training. The drugs give them powers of recovery which lets them do harmful things drugfree people couldn't do.

Its not a band aid, we've discussed this.

As for the drug free thing I dont see the relevance. Funnily enough the drug tested feds (USAPL, 100% Raw, IPF) all allow and encourage the use of belts.

Fair enough you choosing not to lift with a belt, as you can see PTC has some pretty strong lifters without one. But they're still a legitimate tool and should not be put in the same category as a super kantana bench shirt.

I'd suggest if you didnt like them because of an arrogant poster on strengthmill then thats not a great attitude to have towards your training. Why dont you ask rippetoe his opinion on belts?

Arnie's view

"The purpose of wearing a heavy belt is supposed to be to support the muscles of the lower back when you are lifting very heavy weights.The waist belt was originally used by weightlifters doing heavy Overhead Presses.
However, belts are often considered necessary by those doing heavy Squats, pressing heavy weight, or doing heavy standing Calf Raises.
Research in the past few years has indicated that weight belts may not protect the spine to the degree it was once thought, although they probably help stabilize the upper body by increasing pressure in the abdominal cavity. However, in my opinion too many bodybuilders wear belts too much of the time they are in the gym, which has the effect of binding the lower back muscles and preventing them from developing the strenght they ought to have. This is a high price to pay for an illusory feeling of security.
So I recommend you use a belt only when you feel you really need one, for very heavy lifts, and not as a kind of bodybuilding fashion accessory."

He also shares the same views as PTC for gloves and straps.

Last edited:
i would never tell anyone what to do but i will happily tell them what i think they should do.

personally i train for functional strength. if i cant put any 160kg bar on my shoulders, squat to the floor and stand up again while butt naked then i wont claim i can squat 160kg, because i cant. maybe i can in special circumstances but i dont live in those circumstances so its irrelevant. i dont wear a weightlifting belt to work, i dont wear one on the soccer pitch, i dont wear one to the pub so i dont wear one in the gym. its that simple.

Sounds pretty logical to me.

If you are a competetive lifter, and your competition wears a belt, and you truly believe it gives them an edge, by all means wear one.

But if your like 99% of us who train without competing............

For the record, I was talking to Paul Nay this week, he is the president of CAPO powerling in Victoria. He informs me CAPO Victoria has only 12 registered members/lifters.

Pretty sure there are more than 12 lifters wearing belts in Victorian gyms.

Why????????????????????????????

Yep, interest is at an all time low. I spoke to Paul at length, he wanted me to bring some lifters to the deadlift comp this weekend.

All my clients baulked at the cost and the equipment, not interested in lifting with mummies(wrapped up)

Even though you can lift raw, its pretty demoralizing standing on stage and squatting 200kg raw at 100kg, then a wrapped up lifter squats 100kg more while weighing less.

No one at PTC has ANY interest in this.

Paul and I are going to work on some ideas to generate interest. He is a quality guy that loves his sport. He has some obstacles that he needs to overcome before people sign up and compete.

In my opinion, raw and assisted lifting comps need to be run seperate. Paul has 12 lifters interested in assisted lifting, I have 50 interested in raw lifting, but not at the current membership/pricing set up.

There is an annual membership fee, then an entry fee, and only two 3 lift comps a year, and one you need to qualify for. Paul can see the folly of this, but until he gets more lifters, he cant have more comps, and he cant get more lifters, because theres not enough comps.

I explained to him how I got my comps to go from 7 lifters in 2007 to 33 lifters in 2009. I'm not sure if CAPO are able/want to go the same route I did though.

Stay tuned.

Sounds pretty logical to me.

If you are a competetive lifter, and your competition wears a belt, and you truly believe it gives them an edge, by all means wear one.

But if your like 99% of us who train without competing............

For the record, I was talking to Paul Nay this week, he is the president of CAPO powerling in Victoria. He informs me CAPO Victoria has only 12 registered members/lifters.

Pretty sure there are more than 12 lifters wearing belts in Victorian gyms.

Why????????????????????????????

IPF is the main powerlifting fed in australia...

There is an annual membership fee, then an entry fee, and only two 3 lift comps a year, and one you need to qualify for. Paul can see the folly of this, but until he gets more lifters, he cant have more comps, and he cant get more lifters, because theres not enough comps.
Simple solution, lower the fees.

I can see the need for the membership fee, don't CAPO have drug-testing? Someone has to pay for that. Lower that fee, get sponsors on board to make up the difference.

I mean, have the comp with 5 times as many lifters, you have 5 times the audience, too (at least family and friends of lifters will show up!) which has only got to make advertisers happy.

I assume he has to deal with the national body, too - but frankly they have got to see that a comp with a dozen people is a comedy, one with 60 is much more meaningful.

I guess if they refuse to see that, then that explains why we have a zillion lifting federations in Australia.

Did you ever think of calling up the local newspaper to see if they wanted to cover a comp of yours? Awesome for your lifters, and has to help with sponsorship, too. But then maybe you really would have to do the lifts at the beach, too many spectators for your street :D

it's funny....when i was a kid i was amazed at how little my Dad knew. now i'm older, i'm amazed at how little i know

OK, so i've just gotten back from the gym, i've eaten & am now relaxing. Seeing those pics of those guys DL make me want to go back in & hit it up again!! I'm not a big supporter of belts. if you wanna wear them, great, i don't.

OK, so i've just gotten back from the gym, i've eaten & am now relaxing. Seeing those pics of those guys DL make me want to go back in & hit it up again!! I'm not a big supporter of belts. if you wanna wear them, great, i don't.

You're a 'powerbuilder' though. Chalk, squat shoes and a belt are the tools of the trade.

If you dont have these than you're not giving yourself the opportunity to be a great powerlifter.

CAPO dont have drug testing. Other federations do, only they dont carry it out lol

Shorty has competed in a drug tested federation for years, has competed at National and regional level since 2007, never been tested lol

The sport of powerlifting is dead in Australia. In the 80's early 90's it was insane, one fed, now theres a few with opposing views on squat depth and belly benching.

Such a pity.

I'm happy with the way my comps go. Because I own everything, I tell lifters with shit attitudes to f u c k off, I dont have to bow to anyone.

My comps are fun and always will be.

Ask Shorty about my comps compared to his National Championships, the atmosphere etc.

Thats all the PTC comps are about. I wish more of you guys come to AD10, even if only to watch, you'll see why they fly from interstate to compete.

if i cant put any 160kg bar on my shoulders, squat to the floor and stand up again while butt naked then i wont claim i can squat 160kg

there's a mental image i could do without...

When I first learnt to do squats the wrong way i used to get a very sore lower back doing them. I didn't have anyone to comment on my form and i didn't bother trying to research it. When i used a belt i didn't get a sore back. Back then I thought they were great. I didn' care at all about srength back then.

Now I have learnt to squat correctly (and heavier) I have never suffered a sore back or ever felt i needed more security. For aded security i'd concentrate on my form rather than wear a belt. my 2 cents

there's a mental image i could do without...

When I first learnt to do squats the wrong way i used to get a very sore lower back doing them. I didn't have anyone to comment on my form and i didn't bother trying to research it. When i used a belt i didn't get a sore back. Back then I thought they were great. I didn' care at all about srength back then.

Now I have learnt to squat correctly (and heavier) I have never suffered a sore back or ever felt i needed more security. For aded security i'd concentrate on my form rather than wear a belt. my 2 cents

wanna spot me? ;)

next time...make it Candy & Sandy doing the squatting naked....then you'll have a lot more callers...plus you can charge more!! haha