• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Workout Of The Week - What Is The Most Effective Mass Building Tricep Workout?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
People spend hours in the gym blasting their biceps but neglect to hit their triceps or do so with a few pumps, When The triceps make up 66% of your arms ,

What are some techniques to shock the triceps?

What is the most effective mass building tricep workout? (include sets, reps, etc)

What are your personal favorite tricep exercises? Why?

I personally love underhanded cable pressdowns with long handles. Smashes the hell out of the 'horseshoe' (someone'll jump in and correct me of the term, i'm sure).

Anyone perform cross bench dips?

Andy, what's your take on these?
Have you done them?

You'd need to have a lot of flexibility in the shoulder to do these I think Adrian, what do you reckon?

I would never and have never told anyone to do them , think push downs with a cable would more beneficial.

A really really good pre fatigue is a set of db flys to mmf very quickly followed by the conventional dip.

Looks like I'm going to start doing lots of dips
How do you guys recommend programming them in? I was thinking either:
>Rotating them in as a main pressing exercise and adding weight for 6-10 total reps a session
>Going for reps for 1 set at the end of each session, adding weight so that I hit 15-20 reps

Triceps Workout

You'll be doing 1 compound lift to start the session, and then 1 isolation exercise to finish it.

- Compound triceps exercise: Pick either close grip bench press, overhead press (beginning each rep with the bar on the shoulders), or dips, and ramp up to a heavy double or triple. Rest 1-2min, reduce the load to 75% of the top weight, and perform 10 reps. Rest another 1-2min, reduce the load to 50% of the top weight, and perform 20 reps.

- Isolation triceps exercise: Pick either rope triceps pushdown, skullcrushers or standing triceps extension. Pyramid the weight up from 15 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps and then 8 reps, with 1-2min rest between each set. At the completion of the final set, immediately switch down to 50% of the weight used on that last set and perform as many reps as possible.

Looks like I'm going to start doing lots of dips
How do you guys recommend programming them in? I was thinking either:
>Rotating them in as a main pressing exercise and adding weight for 6-10 total reps a session
>Going for reps for 1 set at the end of each session, adding weight so that I hit 15-20 reps

I've always considered the dip as a main exercise, my goal had been to do twelve rep's with as much weight as I could handle, there was a period of time where I was carrying 30 kg's on a hip belt around my waist and I was weighing 90.
I still enjoy doing dips, I will occasionally do a 5x5, but mainly one work set and some negatives at the end.