• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

your chest workouts: pressing vs squeezing ratio

fqqs

do you do more pressing movements than squeezing?

I do 50% pressing and 50% squeezing on my chest day

Incline Dumbbells 4 sets
Weighted Dips 4 sets
Incline Db Fly 4 sets
Cable Crossovers 4 sets

and you? what works best for you?

pressing and squeezing.

bench press
flye machine
hammer incline or super incline

i never liked db flyes or db bench press but i'm going to start doing them again.

Last edited:
I probably do two or three pressing and one (occasionally two) leverage/squeezing movements.

So I might do. Incline Bench, Flat DB or HS Press, Dips, DB Flyes and Cables, if I'm having a big day :)

Squeezing movements? If your building shouldn't you be squeezing on every rep/exercise.

You can do as many presses as you want but if you're not lifting with chest you'll remain looking like a 12yr old girl.

Squeezing movements? If your building shouldn't you be squeezing on every rep/exercise.

You can do as many presses as you want but if you're not lifting with chest you'll remain looking like a 12yr old girl.

I believe the OP is talking about Pressing/Compound vs. Leverage/Isolation Exercises my friend

Flyes I don't mind so much, asking for shoulder impingement though.

cable crossovers? now thats just pissing into the wind.

For a strength program, definitely. For a bodybuilding program? They ain't too bad. So long as they aren't too heavily relied upon.

Flyes I don't mind so much, asking for shoulder impingement though.

cable crossovers? now thats just pissing into the wind.

ugghh! i loathe cable cross overs. i think thats number #1 on my pointless, no value or benefit exercise list. and i have always seen dudes doing them in the gym as if they're cutting up for the olympia :D

Oh, I've seen infinite people doing them as a 'staple' in their BB diet. They are, pure and simple, a finisher if you're chasing that last little bit of fatigue.

One of the guys I see at the gym (with the goal of hypertrophy) will do incline and flat DB, then flat, low and high pulley cable crossovers, many many sets of each. without fail, the most useless chest day I have ever heard of.

And the form you see!

Geez, momentum comes into play a wee bit.

For a strength program, definitely. For a bodybuilding program? They ain't too bad. So long as they aren't too heavily relied upon.

an isolation exercise by definition doesn't just isolate a muscle but its joints/tendon. You're always on a short leash when doing them.

That said flyes have featured in bodybuilding since time began, make what you will of it.

an isolation exercise by definition doesn't just isolate a muscle but its joints/tendon. You're always on a short leash when doing them.

That said flyes have featured in bodybuilding since time began, make what you will of it.

I do flyes too, and anyone who doesn't is wasting a perfectly good exercise. But another 'tool in the arsenal' ain't a bad thing. They will never (and should never) take the place of good old fashioned flyes (or similar) when it comes to isolation; but as I said, they work well as a final 'burner'.

Maybe not for you, but definitely for some.

What does a "final burner" mean or accomplish?

For me (and this is me personally, so I won't appreciate anyone flaming on me with their opinion) I will occasionally (usually rarely, but the last few weeks I've felt like using them) do cable flyes - not crossovers, but same kettle of fish - to bring my chest to complete fatigue. To enjoy the pump, and burn the muscle.

I don't often want it/need it/use it (again, with the exception of the last few weeks) but it will allow me to dredge that last little bit of muscle building exercise out of my chest when I can't move my dumbells or a BB anymore.

You're a smart guy, and I know that you understand what I'm trying to say here - whether you agree or not is completely irrelevant. One of the most resounding truths in bodybuilding is finding what works FOR you.

Occasionally, it works for me. And I KNOW it works for others. Not all, but definitely not just me.

A side note (and something that is of little importance to the thread, but is of GREAT importance to me): I love going to the gym. I walk in those doors, and it feels like home. If I like an exercise, I'll embrace it. If I hate an exercise, I'll simply endure it. Or, I'll make it my b1tch and learn to love it. Cable Flyes is neither of these. If I want to do it (or feel that I would benefit from that last little bit of fatigue) I'll do it.

It works for me. And in my honest opinion? That's what's important.

No need to defend yourself rino, I think you are correct and they can be a good addition to your bag of workout tricks.

When I see people with big chests in the gym, 99% of the time their routine consists of stupid shit like cable crossovers
But then I see a lot of people with shit-tier chests that do them as well
Work up to a 2 plate weighted dip and im sure your chest will be decent enough and you'll be strong as fuck to boot

No need to defend yourself rino, I think you are correct and they can be a good addition to your bag of workout tricks.

Thanks Darko - and sorry for getting a bit excited there... I've just heard 'Bro-Science' thrown around a bit too much, and often without justification.

Glad to have you on my side :)

IIRC Jamie Lewis increased his bench significantly with the addition of cable flies

I think big shoulders (deltoids) and small breast on a man look more manly.

And shows that he's done some manly lifting.