• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

10 Rules of getting BIG

little_lifter

found here: PROJECT GOLIATH: 10 Rules of getting big (i think theres more then 10 actually...)

THE RULES OF THE GYM FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GET BIG.
1. Supplements
Stop ALL your supplements. They do nothing. Bodybuilders don’t take supplements, they don’t waste there money on them. They take drugs. They get sponsored to SAY they take supplements but they dont. The only one which does anything is creatine MONOHYDRATE. Its cheap, the supplement companies don’t like it because there is little profit in it, they mix it with sugar and sell it for loads or they clamp ethyl ester on it and try to flog it. Don’t be fooled, it’s a load of bull. Even creatine has a relatively small effect: maybe 2-3 reps in the 3-5rep range. You gain a couple of kilos as soon as you start it and you’ll lose them when you stop it. Its all water. That aside I love creatine. The only other one is caffeine. It lowers central fatigue so you can go for longer and it’s a stimulant. Again, the companies will mix it with NO to make it profitable. It’s a farce, don’t bother. You can get a years supply of pure caffeine for £3. Don’t fuss with anything else.

1.1 An aside related to supplements: muscle magazines.
They are a load of balls. They are an argos catalogue of supplements. Nothing in them is true. The supplements do fuck all, the bodybuilders dont take them and if you do jay cutlers arm workout you will overtrain and your guns will probably shrivel up and die. Even the slightly more harmless mens health magazines are balls. They are a fashion accessory. There is nothing (NOTHING!) of worth in them. They spew the same shit every month, there are only so many ways they can tell you that you can get abs in 4 weeks and that you can get massive by eating salad and chicken breast. Best bet, put 4 or 5 of them together and tear them in half. At least this way you get a grip workout.

2. Protein and Mass shakes
Shakes are good. They don’t count as a supplement. They increase your calories in a liquid form, anything else they claim to do, they don’t. It’s like mixing milk with olive oil and making it taste good. That is a mass shake, calories. That half an hour window after a workout is for CARBS and PROTEIN. You need a banana and a pint of milk after a workout, not a protein shake. Then a meal when you get home as well, not a protein shake. If you think protein shakes help you gain ‘lean mass’ then stop reading here. Calories make you big, not protein.

3. Milk
Drink an extra gallon of milk a day. You will get massive. Milk is God. Drink it whole. Nuff said.

4. Workout
Go to the gym and do some squats, do some deadlifts, do some bench/shoulder press. Every second you spend doing leg curls and cable flyes you are getting smaller. I don’t give a crap what workout you do, if you do the big 3 hard and heavy and are not cheating yourself then it doenst matter what sets, reps or rest intervals you do. It doesn’t matter how many times a week you train. All that matters is consistency which brings me to my next point.

5. Consistency
Everyone wants to be big and strong and no one wants to train. They train when they fancy it and no doubt they will put in a good solid 4 week spree. Then they are hungover and cant train, then they have exams and cant train, then they go on holiday and cant train, then they cant be arsed and cant train. If people call you obsessed for wanting to train all the time tell them to STFU, you are training for an hour or two, 3 or 4 times a week, they watch tv more then that they play xbox more then that. Obsessed is what the weak call the dedicated. Please to refer to this video:
NO EXCUSES
MAKE TIME TO TRAIN. You make time to eat, you make time to sleep, you can make time to train, don’t lie in bed for as long or go out an hour later. You need 90 minutes. Get there train 45-60mins then get out, shower and your done. There is never “not enough time” there is only “not enough will”. Have a time in the day for gym, when that time arrives, go to the gym, its gym time. You go to work at work time and you go to school at school time so go to gym at gym time. If something comes up tell them you cant talk now, its gym time. You don’t run an hour late for work just because your favorite show came on tv.

6. Nit-picking
Don’t worry about the minute shape of your muscles. Don’t try to improve your upper pec. Don’t sculpt the outer head of your biceps. Don’t try to get your rear delts up a bit. Body builders do this, they weigh 300lbs and if their right pec is slightly smaller then they lose money. You weigh 150lbs and no one gives a fuck about your right pec. There are more important things to think about like actually getting some pecs to sculpt.

7. The Olympic barbell
A simple rule: If your not using the Olympic bar for EVERY workout then you are doing it wrong. If your leg session includes anything but a squat or dead variation then you are doomed to fail. If you think a machine gives you a better pump or more muscle activation then you are wrong. Just wrong. Its not true. They don’t. The only exception to this is for bicep curls. Don’t ever use an Olympic bar for barbell curls. In fact, why are you doing curls. Go and squat.

8. Overcomplicating
People think too much about this training stuff, its bloody simple. Eat lots train hard and stop being such a pussy looking for the pros workouts and the latest hormone supplement. Stop thinking about what protein to take, stop asking people on forums how to gain some muscle but stay lean. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop telling me that you don’t want to get that big. Don’t worry mate, its not gonna happen over night, your not suddenly gonna get 20inch guns and a 400lbs bench. Saying you don’t want to get that big is like saying I want to stay small, its almost as if your setting yourself up for failure. STOP OVERTHINKING. Scratch that, stop thinking full stop. Its bad for you. Just shut up and squat and every time you think of a question do another rep and forget it.

9. ABS, the scourge of the gym
I think all the thinking and over complicating is partly due to peoples obsession with abs. They want to gain muscle and lose fat. They want a 6pack and massive arms. EVERY FUCKER AND THEIR DOG HAS A FUCKING 6 PACK. I could go into a primary school playground and find 10 kids with 6packs. If you want your 6pack that bad, get out of the gym and do some situps on your bedroom floor. If you want to get big and have abs, then thats fine but do it properly and admit your gonna have to say bye bye to 6 pack for a couple of months and get big first. That’s it, a couple of months…and this brings me to…

10. Impatience and hardgaining
I WANT IT NOW! Training takes time. Going back to the point about consistency. You need to train like a fiend. FOR YEARS. So put your hiking boots on and prepare for the long haul. If you want to do an in-out jobby for 6 weeks then fuck off. Your taking up my squat rack. And its not just about training consistency. I know people who have been training for years and look the same as the day they started. To make linear progression you need to eat more more more more and MORE and do it consistantly. Training makes you smaller, FACT, it breaks you down. EATING and SLEEPING make you bigger. 100% of the people who are hardgainers aren’t. Hardgain is a myth, it means your not eating enough or not sleeping enough.

11. And finally…..equipment
FOR GODS SAKE TAKE THOSE FUCKING GLOVES OFF. And stop wearing a belt under your shirt to do bicep curls. If you are sweaty use some barrel roll or chalk. The only excuse for gloves is if you actually have grievous injury to your hands like your calluses are bleeding out and you just want to finish your workout. Other then that. NO! And a belt is for maximal effort (>90%) squats, deadlifts or push press. This is more or less it. Belts make you weaker if you use them for everything.

NOTE: FOR MEN (and women) WITH THE BALLS TO BE AWESOME.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This pretty much sums up everything we already know, albeit in a funny sort of way

Thankyou.
Jason

Last edited:
This reads like I could have wrote it.

Its so simply, people still dont actually get it. I used to be one of those people, not anymore.

Although 2. has some flaws I wholeheartedly agree with every rule here.

2. should just say "Protein without carbs is useless". I don't use mass-gainers, I use protein and complex carbs meals. Cheaper than mass-gainers and better.

2 quick questions, not to over complicate or to do something for me... I am a BEGINNER, and my questions are:

1: In the body building movies like the ronnie coleman and such, when doing things like squats and bench, they only use a small range of motion, any reason for this?

2:Why use a olympic bar over a normal bar bell? I only ask because all that stuff costs $$, which i dont have much of right now...

Will make sure i follow these rules though. Good read

No problem, I'm a beginner as well mate

1. Can't really answer that mate, I'll leave it to people more experienced than me to decide. I can only really guess so I won't bother you or anyone else with my theories.

2. Olympic bars can generally (depends on quality) handle more weight. They have free rotating ends (busing/bearings) and different bars have different purposes (Oly Lifting, Powerlifing etc.) If you want to know more I suggest you read this:
http://ausbb.com/workout-equipment/11391-buying-quality-barbell.html
and ask questions there if you want to know anything else

Cheers

The intent of that point was simple, dont use machines. It should be you and a bar full of iron.

I have the strange urge to print this out, say I don't know 100 copies then tie it to rocks and when someone asks me about anything from 1-10 I can just throw the rock at them and say read this and go away.:D

If it was stuck on the door at every gym and every client had to read it and follow it or they couldnt train there the gym`s would go broke and all close...

The Westside Barbell Primer needs to be included in this discussion...

The Westside Barbell Primer

The WSB primer (The answers to all your questions)

Simple answers to complex questions: (misspelling is intentional)

1. I can't gain weight!
A. Eat more food.

2. I can't loose weight!
A. Eat less food.

3. My bicepts, tricepts, lats, other favorite body part won't grow!
A. Gain weight, lift heavy.

4. What exercises should I do to get rid of the stubborn fat on my abs, chest, butt, etc...
A. Lose weight. Lift heavy.

5. This personal trainer gave me this program to do, is it good?
A. Your program sucks and you know it does. Read a book.

6. I designed this program, what do you think?
A. Your program sucks.

7. I've been lifting seriously for 3 weeks and I think my tricepts/whatever are a weakness. How should I bring them up?
A. Lift heavy weights for 3 more years. Read a book.

8. Should I try *insert favorite anabolic*?
A. No. If you were ready you wouldn't have to ask random people on the internet.

9. Am I over-training?
A. No.

10. I've been doing Smolov/Westside/Madcow/favorite program for 3 months, should I change it up?
A. No. Give your program time to work.

11. I've been lifting on and off for the last two years and can't seem to get stronger. What should I do.
A. Start lifting "on" more than "off"

12. My doctor said that squats and deadlifts are bad for me.
A. Get a new doctor.

13. I'm 6' and 152 lbs. Should I bulk or cut?
A. Go to the hospital before you die of malnutrition. Then gain 100 lbs.

14. I can bench 135 RAW, I could bench 500 in a shirt, but I think that's cheating.
A. You suck, and you're a *****.

15. I want to look good nekid.
A. Get surgery.

16. I want to loose 50 lbs in 2 months, what's my best course of action?
A. Get surgery.

17. How do I get my pecs to be square like *insert favorite bodybuilder here*?
A. Gain 100 lbs, lift heavy. Get surgery.

18. How do I get my bench to go up?
A. Learn how to bench. Gain weight.

19. I can't seem to get motivated. I'd rather watch tv and play video games than lift weights.
Don't lift weights.

20. How do I develop the upper inner part of my pec and the lower part of my abs and blah blah blah blah blah....
A. Read a book.​

If it was stuck on the door at every gym and every client had to read it and follow it or they couldnt train there the gym`s would go broke and all close...

True.

"Getting Big" is not everybody's goal who attends a gym.

3 and 11 are massive fails. I sense the author's squat still has a one infront of it.

2 quick questions
, not to over complicate or to do something for me... I am a BEGINNER, and my questions are:

1: In the body building movies like the ronnie coleman and such, when doing things like squats and bench, they only use a small range of motion, any reason for this?

Because they're elite pros with the diet and genetics to do whatever they want.

2:Why use a olympic bar over a normal bar bell? I only ask because all that stuff costs $$, which i dont have much of right now...

3-4mm of steel, a far higher tensile and build quality.

If you don't have decent equipment get membership at a gym for a while.

Last edited:
Drink milk and stop wearing gear you dont really need?

Having actually drank 4L of milk everyday over a period of 6 months I can tell you most people will end up fatasses.

Also the guys knowledge of how a belt works is brotarded.