• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

10 Rules of getting BIG

Yep, drinking an extra gallon of whole milk on top of your already adequate diet will certainly get you big, and FAT!!!

What's the point of adding fat if it doesn't add more lean muscle mass?
Unless getting big = getting fat.

Why not use a little common sense and, say, not drink 4L of milk a day? Try a litre, see if you start gaining weight. No? Try a litre and a half. If so, BINGO, stop increasing the amount of calories you're putting in your body.
Milk has good ratios of protein, carbs, fats, and it's cheap as shit.

GOMAD is not generally meant for lean gains, its for putting mass (good and bad) on scrawny lifters. Mass, regardless of its type, builds strength and supports the joints to further gains.

It might not be prefect for everybody (such as Oli) but its obviously helped thousands of other young blokes pack on the extra pounds and build a bigger total over the decades its been used.

The only non obese lifters I've seen get fat on GOMAD are those that do very short/easy workouts.

With a massive calorie surplus, its cool to train longer.

From day one I've said people should match their training to their eating. The reason most make no progress is they do it the other way round.

I could illustrate lots of examples on here, but I dont want to hijack this thread

Nice post Jason

There are over 2000 calories in a gallon of milk. For a 16 year old who plays soccer and runs in circles in their spare time thats fine, for just about anyone else its a fail.

You only need 200-500 over maintenance to gain weight (500 x 7 = 250 calories short of 1kg a week. You'd be lucky to see that on anyone beyond novice level).

a ten year old kid possibly needs more than 250-500 calories over their daily maintenance needs to grow. Yeah?

Nice thread.

From day one I've said people should match their training to their eating. The reason most make no progress is they do it the other way round.

Hi Markos,

Can you explain this a little more please.
I can understand if you're naturally a big eater and can gain weight easily, then you can train to suit.

But what about those who generally don't eat much and are naturally lean, but can eat more if they want to grow?
Shouldn't they be matching their eating to support their training?

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, lets look at Oli's thread.

Gareth does a MINIMUM of 15 WORK sets per session on the big 3 lifts, plus a few sets on OH press and trap bar deads. Add in around 6-8 warp up sets.

Check Oli's thread and see how many WORK sets Oli does per session on the big 3?

I would never have a client that does Oli's work load drink a gallon of milk, so in that respect, he's right.

But to put it out there that you get fat drinking that much is misleading and incorrect.

I read most journals on here, the fact I dont comment in someones journal does not mean I havent read it.

The volume is well down on most.

It also depends on your goals. This thread is about getting big, so I posted accordingly, its got nothing to do with any other goals, as far as I can tell.

Ok but the point said: Drink an extra gallon of milk per day.

Assuming your diet was already adequate, adding an extra 4l of milk per day would just be excess calories wouldn't it?

If you're growing on your current diet, why add an extra 4l of milk?

I understand that if you have trouble fitting calories in, milk is an easy way.

Treat your body like a car. You put fuel in to drive it, the more driving you do the more fuel you use and thus require!

This thread is becoming another in vs out debate LOL

THE RULES OF THE GYM FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GET BIG.

In relation to the thread topic, drink an extra gallon of milk.

I was going to agree with Oliver but then i read Markos's posts and i gotta admit they make sense

Is it ever too late to visit your 20 rep squat routine Markos?

ill definitly be doing 4lts/day during that

THE RULES OF THE GYM FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GET BIG.

Underlined for emphasis. :cool:

The 16 year old soccer player used in the example by Oli is who this thread is mainly aimed at. Small people who want to get bigger. I wouldn't recommend GOMAD for an overweight kid obviously, they are already big.

Underlined for emphasis. :cool:

The 16 year old soccer player used in the example by Oli is who this thread is mainly aimed at. Small people who want to get bigger. I wouldn't recommend GOMAD for an overweight kid obviously, they are already big.

This site really differs from the bb.com demographic - theres a handful of uni students but the bulk are 20-30 year old guys who have settled down with full time jobs. Hardly people I'd recommend do GOMAD.

Well, lets look at Oli's thread.

Gareth does a MINIMUM of 15 WORK sets per session on the big 3 lifts, plus a few sets on OH press and trap bar deads. Add in around 6-8 warp up sets.

Check Oli's thread and see how many WORK sets Oli does per session on the big 3?

I would never have a client that does Oli's work load drink a gallon of milk, so in that respect, he's right.

But to put it out there that you get fat drinking that much is misleading and incorrect.

I read most journals on here, the fact I dont comment in someones journal does not mean I havent read it.

The volume is well down on most.

It also depends on your goals. This thread is about getting big, so I posted accordingly, its got nothing to do with any other goals, as far as I can tell.

For the record I did starting strength and then 5x5 with extra pull ups and arm work. 5x5 when I was squatting 170kg was grueling. Mind you, like most law students every other aspect of my life is inactive.

Last edited:
Mind you, like most law students every other aspect of my life is inactive.
+1. I'm going to try and make my time at uni more productive by eating right - preparing and eating properly.

I find 2L of milk daily a good balance.

This site really differs from the bb.com demographic - theres a handful of uni students but the bulk are 20-30 year old guys who have settled down with full time jobs. Hardly people I'd recommend do GOMAD.

I'll correct and clarify my statement. I did not mean this thread as such, but the subject matter of this thread. In its original form these rules were most likely aimed at young scrawny beginner lifters, not specifically the members of this forum.

I'm fairly sure that the link posted in the first post is not the original source of these rules as I have read them well before now on a British PL site.