• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

5x5

SL is a pretty good, well-constructed program. Sticking with it for a solid 12+ weeks (and dropping the volume from 5x5 to 3x5 when the time comes) and eating properly will definitely yield some good results.

somebody explain to me how 5x5 works thanks..

i keep hearing people talk of it ..
Is this serious?

You take an exercise, and you do it for 5 sets of 5 reps. If you get all your reps, you add more weight next time. Accumulates a decent amount of volume (25 working reps) at a relatively high load. Builds strength and mass (obviously when combined with food), but once you get to the point where you have to rest 5min between sets just to get the next set of 5 out, there obviously isn't much room for assistance or accessory exercises to polish things off unless you have the capacity to train as a fulltime job, so 5x5 routines are usually focused on strength more than bodybuilding.

KungFooGoo thinks you should try something else.... Every other week you'll only do 25 working reps a week in OHP, Bench, or BOR. KungFooGoo would pick the Ausbb Beginner program over 5 x 5, plus Mehdi is a faggot.

KungFooGoo thinks you should try something else.... Every other week you'll only do 25 working reps a week in OHP, Bench, or BOR. KungFooGoo would pick the Ausbb Beginner program over 5 x 5, plus Mehdi is a faggot.
Goo's still on fire

SL screams plagiarism.. it's just SS with 2 extra sets. If your lifts are intermediate do madcows/bill stars

Yeah stronglifts isn't even that though, it's a legit program just renamed stronglifts. Medhi just sticks up some basic "how to squat" info, puts a load of bill starr / pendlay routines and renames them "stronglifts" (he actually admits to them being renamed starr routines) then makes a load of money from this piracy from hosting referrals

BTW, on topic now. A lot of people say that 5x5 doesn't do too much for their bench press or deadlift but wonders for their squat so just take that into consideration

Bill Starr knew his trade. He was the Strength Coach to the Baltimore Colts when they won the Superbowl in 1970? the strength coach at a whole list of US universities including Hawaii, Maryland, John Hopkins etc.

A US Olympic Weightlifting Champion, & national record holder in Powerlifting & Olympic lifting. Starr was also editor if Strength & Health mag, international weightliftimg championships coach...and a damn good author.

If it's plagiarised from Starr and Pendlay, then the logical position for the trainee is to assess the program's merit (not Mehdi's merit) on Starr and Pendlay. I don't get the "it's plagiarised from good programs, therefore it's a crap program" mentality a lot of people have.

If it's plagiarised from Starr and Pendlay, then the logical position for the trainee is to assess the program's merit (not Mehdi's merit) on Starr and Pendlay. I don't get the "it's plagiarised from good programs, therefore it's a crap program" mentality a lot of people have.

People are stupid and illogical, life becomes a lot easier when you figure this out lol

Mehdi is a euro trash wanker who got rich on the internet. Starr and Ripptoe are accomplished athletes who moved into coaching. You decide who's programme you want to follow.

Bill was right back in the '70s.

I think it's true to say that people are logically illogical. A program doesn't become bad because it was taken from a 'bad' source.