• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are Deadlifts necessary for a Bodybuilding routine?

Neddysmith

Standard kunce
Hey Guys,

OK been lifting for a while and have being doing deadlifts for most of that time, generally keeping it above the 6 rep range.

Now, while i know the benefits for glute, hammies, and back for doing deads i was reading through Pistatio's Clean bulk to epicness thread and he was saying since bulking and deadlifting heavy there was a niceable size gain through his midesection.

So i have been thinking, would you consider deadlifts necessary strictly from bodybuilding rountine standpoint and if so would it be preferable to keep the reps in the higher range, say above 6 or 8 reps for this purpose compared with going for strength in the lower rep ranges or 1RM...

Discuss.

Cheers

You don't HAVE to do anything but deadlifts are most likely going to be beneficial.

Waist size is largely genetic, never found deads to make a huge difference. Last time I cut my waist was around 32-33 inch and I was deadlifting 270 at the time. Look at Sticky 300+ deadlift and small waist.

^ further to this - arnie once said that any exercise works, and you should try them all to find out what works for you.

Also, they work so many muscles at once which is quite handy if you're short on time or short on calories :D

Last edited:
As genetics play a large role in how your body responds to exercise I'm going to tell you that the dead-lift as a back builder is probably not necessary to a bodybuilder but desirable as bazza20 writes.

I'm just going to throw this in for thought.

The traditional notion is that rows build thickness and chins build width. Really it's more chins build lats and rows build the rest of the back.

To me nothing beats chins for the lats, period. But, they can be rough on the shoulders, especially for heavier people.

Rows are good for the whole back, including the lats.

It's a mistake to take rows and try to make them more of a lat exercise.

The whole back needs work to get really strong, and they'll help the shoulders stay healthy too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348012647.741614.jpg

The squat has always been the keystone to my workouts and although I managed 5x5 for 200kg when younger I always cycled between the deadlift SLDL TBDL and leg-press, I squatted twice a week but never dead-lifted more than once a week.

I still squat a lot, but I can no longer dead-lift.

I don't think heavy dead-lifting over 5 rep's is wise.

Just my thoughts, it might not answer anything for you.

That's not me in the picture I was just looking for a back with good development, but the area in the square is what most bodybiulders are looking for.

As Bazza said, Sticky deadlifts 300kg with a small waist, look at his thread.

The only other thing I'd add is to do chin ups, lots of them. They will make your waist look smaller. I'm pretty decent at chins for my bodyweight and as such I can get away with eating more cake.

A big bench and military press also makes your upper body look bigger, allowing your waist to grow a bit and you can 'get away with it'. Again, this allows you to eat more cake. Chins are the best though.

I eat lots of cake these days and deadlift, and I still have a pretty decent taper. I think these things are key to happiness. Just get strong in these respects, your body will take care of itself, and don't look in the mirror so much.

You don't HAVE to do anything but deadlifts are most likely going to be beneficial.

Waist size is largely genetic, never found deads to make a huge difference. Last time I cut my waist was around 32-33 inch and I was deadlifting 270 at the time. Look at Sticky 300+ deadlift and small waist.

Agreed.

I've always had a fat-fuck waist (wide as). I'd look about 10x more impressive if I had a 32" waist.

So realistically, I probably shouldn't do heavy deads as they tend to thicken up my obliques and lower back even more.

But some people who have naturally tiny waists are not going to get this problem.

Again, I think strictly speaking, they aren't necessary, but even with my shitty waist, I still continue to do them. Why? Because I think they are a very functional lift and strengthen you up like nothing else. And that strength has a lot of carry over, which allows you to lift more, and hence get bigger.

Plus, A thick lower back is very helpful in terms of injury prevention.

So in short, in answer to your original question - no they aren't strictly necessary. But I would still do them none-the-less.

No.
You don't get judged on your deadlift when your on stage.

Whats this 1rm shit in the bb section. Wheres darkoz haha

Last edited:
No deadlifts are not necessary for a bb routine but they are necessary for a manly routine. :p

IMO they are hands down the best back developer out there, especially in terms of thickness. They are the bang-for-your-buck exercise.

imo it's width of the hips that matter more than width of the waist that matters
unless you're a fatass

Player what's your definition of 'strong' in the deadlift. It's all relative, 100kg could be classed as strong for some folk whereas 250 for others.