• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are Deadlifts necessary for a Bodybuilding routine?

Sure there are going to be some, after all it is a bbing forum which more people seem to be doing PL, but my point was more there are not heaps doing 150 let alone 250....

And there is a massive, massive difference between doing 150kgs for reps and 250kgs for reps.

I can only think of 2 people that could do 250 for reps - Sticky and Bazza (1RM of 270, so I assume he can rep out some at 250).

I'm aiming for a 1RM of 250kgs in about 5 weeks, but it'd be at least probably middle of next year before I'd be doing sets at 250. And that's assuming I want to get any stronger in my deadlift.

Deadlifts are shit.

All the pro's who deadlift have shit backs.

Franco's back was shit.

Fuzzy deadlifts over 300kg and his back is shocking. He isnt even wide at all.. Needs to eat more chicken imo.

And there is a massive, massive difference between doing 150kgs for reps and 250kgs for reps.

I can only think of 2 people that could do 250 for reps - Sticky and Bazza (1RM of 270, so I assume he can rep out some at 250).

I'm aiming for a 1RM of 250kgs in about 5 weeks, but it'd be at least probably middle of next year before I'd be doing sets at 250. And that's assuming I want to get any stronger in my deadlift.

Does Freako pull 250kg? I know Bazza logged in his diary a armed pull of 200kg??? thats some freaky strong shit.

Do some heavy deadlifting after a lay off then tell me they don't build your upper back after you get doms all over.

Rows are a good back builder but every monkey I've ever seen do them in the gym uses tonnes of body english and takes all the work out of the top of the lift with momentum.

Like I said, my opinion only but deadlifts seem to be one of those lifts that need heavy weight to really work the body hard and grow muscle. Its a big difference between deadlifting 200 and 250 for reps but one that is achievable with a bit of work. Like we all know growing muscle isn't easy.

My back was more thicker back then than when I did rows/chins compared to now.
This is due to the higher reps and sets.

Even though my deads have gone up 100+ kg.

My back was more thicker back then than when I did rows/chins compared to now.
This is due to the higher reps and sets.

Even though my deads have gone up 100+ kg.
SO does this take us back to old arguement about reps ranges for strength training compared to bodybuilding...

I just cant dead lift in the same session i squat- and i aim to do dead on the off day but usally forget.

At first i was doing htem all in the one session, but now i cant get 100% in.

I havent noticed a diff tbh, I Might stick to chins for back. My deadlift form is also quite bad and i dont need the extra strain.

Eventually il take a drive down to PTC sydney and have a session with one of the boys :)

Fuzz and Scott pull 300+ and I have pulled a 275 with the texas cheat bar while heavily fatigued mid-sheiko. We are all wide as fuck, nuff said.

Deadlifts are not necessary to build a wide back. If you're injured and can't pull then you can still build something pretty impressive with rows, shrugs and chins. But if you're just skipping deads because you're a pussy and don't want to work hard then you're just making gains harder for yourself. And did I mention that you're being a pussy?

If you can deadlift and you want a big back then deadlift dammit!

Fuzz and Scott pull 300+ and I have pulled a 275 with the texas cheat bar while heavily fatigued mid-sheiko. We are all wide as fuck, nuff said.

Deadlifts are not necessary to build a wide back. If you're injured and can't pull then you can still build something pretty impressive with rows, shrugs and chins. But if you're just skipping deads because you're a pussy and don't want to work hard then you're just making gains harder for yourself. And did I mention that you're being a pussy?

Yeah Dorian Yates and Shawn Ray your both pussies

Last edited:

I don't think 3 people makes a correlation. Especially if PEDs are concerned. No disrespect to anyone of course.

I think what this boils down to most is genetics and what you respond to. My upper back doesn't really respond very much to anything, be it rows or deads.

Strictly speaking, I don't think deads are necessary for bodybuilding. But I can't imagine ever NOT doing them either.

But if you really don't want to do them, and your back responds well enough with rows and chins and whatever else, then I don't see a problem with that.

EDIT: I should mention that not everybody trains to be a he-man or to be super strong. Some people just want to look good or have an above average physique. You don't need to deadlift 300kgs to achieve that. You don't have to deadlift at all in fact.

I don't think 3 people makes a correlation. Especially if PEDs are concerned. No disrespect to anyone of course.

I think what this boils down to most is genetics and what you respond to. My upper back doesn't really respond very much to anything, be it rows or deads.

Strictly speaking, I don't think deads are necessary for bodybuilding. But I can't imagine ever NOT doing them either.

But if you really don't want to do them, and your back responds well enough with rows and chins and whatever else, then I don't see a problem with that.

EDIT: I should mention that not everybody trains to be a he-man or to be super strong. Some people just want to look good or have an above average physique. You don't need to deadlift 300kgs to achieve that. You don't have to deadlift at all in fact.

And as I said, they're not necessary, but you'd be stupid not to do them. And for the most part, people who don't do them are either stupid or are just being a pussy. Further, if you've 100% proven to yourself that they do not give you the gains you need then there is also no need to do them.

And just for the record, I'm lifetime natty and compete natty, so my example still stands.