• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Autoregulatory Training vs. Linear Periodization [Research Review]

man I dunno why people are not all over this thread
normally people are ass devastated when you tell them that STRONGLIFTS or STARTING STRENGTH or FIVE THREE ONE is not the best way forwards

Personally never had any luck with linear perodization. The early weeks are way to easy. Then about 5-6 weeks in when the weight gets heavier I start missing weights that I could have got at the start of the program. Has happened every time i do it.

Yeah every time I have done it too I'd get to one week and just miss xD
Then people would be like "START LIGHTER" so I'd start lighter and miss in the same spot or like 2.5kg more

I think the main issue was too little volume at a high percent of 1RM. There have been times when I've done a run up increasing the weight by 5kg each day and hit crazy PBs but it's always after I've been training at a soul crushing volume for a few weeks

man I dunno why people are not all over this thread
normally people are ass devastated when you tell them that STRONGLIFTS or STARTING STRENGTH or FIVE THREE ONE is not the best way forwards

WTF???

Do you even lift?

Personally never had any luck with linear perodization. The early weeks are way to easy. Then about 5-6 weeks in when the weight gets heavier I start missing weights that I could have got at the start of the program. Has happened every time i do it.

Interdasting...

What rep range were you using?

"The linear periodization group used a simple setup starting at 70% and progressing by 5% each week as the number of sets and the rep range both decreased."

Isn't this linear progression not periodisation? In the end, a study of 23 college football players does not make something true, plenty of strong guys use and have used LP and APRE, this one study doesn't mean shit. It went for 6 weeks, with a projected 1rm for squat?

Come on.

Last edited:
Bazza: thoughts on going heavier on assistance lifts during the higher rep phases of LP program to maintain strength. (that was my plan)

Bazza: thoughts on going heavier on assistance lifts during the higher rep phases of LP program to maintain strength. (that was my plan)

At the early stages of the PTC Program, the assistance work is often heavier than the actual lift.

It's not trolling it's more to generate discussion
I can only think of two examples of strong people that used linear periodisation

I don't know how you define strong but....

I have a friend who got me into lifting... he benches 180 and strict OHP 115... hes tall, not turtle build too (long arms)... he just runs linear periodisation. He looks like he's on roids (hes not, just a freak)

Also Ed Coan? but he ran it with 'assistance' by all accounts.

And don't a lot of the PTC guys run it?

And Adam Coe?

0ni is just having a dig at a program that didnt work for him so he thinks it is right to shit all over it.

Linear Progression got me almost to a double bodyweight squat. Nuff said.