• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
13 pages of beef jerky talk, I might have to try me some of this, the look of the stuff has always put me off,

Received email back from Mick,

Price is $70kg + $10 post for up to 3kg.

Flavours are Original, Pepper, Garlic, Smokey BBQ, Chilli, Bhut Jolokia
Chilli (xxxhot)

eBay seller: Biltong2Go. $25/500g. Best i've seen on eBay.

Bought some a month ago and it didn't last long. About to go out field next week so i'm stocking up on some more. Plus another type that a mate of mine is getting from the local markets for me.

Anyone been buying jerky of late. What do people recommend at the moment.

Looking at buying a big bulk order some time soon to try and get it a bit cheaper.

I was buying Jim's jerky that was at the Westfield stand here in Brisbane. But purchased a dehydrater a few years back and been making it since.

I was buying Jim's jerky that was at the Westfield stand here in Brisbane. But purchased a dehydrater a few years back and been making it since.

How does your jerky taste compared to the brought stuff. I have a dehydrator I can have but not sure I can be stuffed with making my own yet. Easy to do?

How does your jerky taste compared to the brought stuff. I have a dehydrator I can have but not sure I can be stuffed with making my own yet. Easy to do?

I rate it highly!
Yeah can be a pain in the ass making sometimes by the time you cut up the meat.
But I prefer my marrinade and spices to suit my taste.
It's easy to do just need the time to do it.
I haven't had jerky for a while now tho.

I just normally soak it with barbecue, worsticher sauce lemon juice over night
When I place the meat on the dehydrater I sprinkle Mc Cormicks blazin pepper steak seasoning on it

Post up what you are eating - Page 759

I made 2kg but it took days to clean the dehydrator and because it didn't run long enough (had a fire call out) it went mouldy.

There's a few places selling it online but the only sample I've received so far was a bit average.

Just got my dehydrator delivered today, yeah!

Find it hard to be prepared enough to eat regularly through the day. Plan to have strategic supply drops ... everywhere.

Made a batch up this week, just a small one to test out the process. Used Kangaroo meat because it's super lean.

Unfortunately I tested the dehydrator, and even though the dial was cranked up to 70 degrees, it only reached 52 inside. So as a result, bacteria is a bit of a worry - I'm solving that (hopefully) by putting it in the oven at 120 degrees for 3 minutes after it's done.

For anyone else who's done this, what have you done to stop the outside drying out too fast? Mine was OK once you start chewing it, but the outside went really hard and that meant it took a lot longer too because the moisture was trapped inside.
I'm lead to believe this was due to it being too hot at the start - but at only 52 degrees, not sure how much cooler I'd want to go...

Made a batch up this week, just a small one to test out the process. Used Kangaroo meat because it's super lean.

Unfortunately I tested the dehydrator, and even though the dial was cranked up to 70 degrees, it only reached 52 inside. So as a result, bacteria is a bit of a worry - I'm solving that (hopefully) by putting it in the oven at 120 degrees for 3 minutes after it's done.

For anyone else who's done this, what have you done to stop the outside drying out too fast? Mine was OK once you start chewing it, but the outside went really hard and that meant it took a lot longer too because the moisture was trapped inside.
I'm lead to believe this was due to it being too hot at the start - but at only 52 degrees, not sure how much cooler I'd want to go...

What hydrator you get mate? I have a sunbeam...I leave it on number 2 for 9 hours and the it turns out good. I use rump for my meat though.
Not sure if the kangaroo is too lean?? Or maybe you could marinade the kangaroo a bit longer.

Cheers

I got the cheapest one on eBay - about $40. Maybe that was mistake number one, but I'll probably never learn.

So what temp does "number 2" on a Sunbeam get to?

Out of interest, I just did another one. Beef in a primarily chipotle pepper marinade. This time I marinaded for a lot longer (actually bought the Kangaroo "marinaded" which I already knew wasn't going to be perfect). It's been in there 10 hours and still soft - although I haven't got the case hardening that I did with the Kangaroo.

So it could be the marinade, or it could be the type of meat too.

The other thing I did is, last time I threw a tea towel over the whole thing to make it "hotter" - didn't think about the fact that this probably stopped some moisture getting out too.

As for drying longer, I did that - left one Kangaroo piece in for another 12 hours (24 hours total) and it was no better. It's the case hardening I need to stop, but this beef is looking much better.

Holleeeee crap. Good stuff.

The beef jerky is done and it's unbelievable.

4 Chipotle peppers
1 Tbsp of Paprika
1 Tbsp of Cumin
1 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
Half a cup of jalapeno pickling brine

Sooooo good