• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner program!!!!!??? WHAT TO DO!?!!!

chad

President Woke and he called the pope!

Ok this is really doing my head in and i'm very confused :mad:

I posted a thread on here a coupele of weeks ago, showing my routine which involved mostly iso- exercises. anyway i was told that i should be using one of the beginner programs such as:

Squat 3 sets x 10 reps
Bench Press 3 sets x 8 reps
Bent Row 3 sets x 8 reps
Military(Standing) Press 3 sets x 8 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 sets x 8 reps
Barbell Curl 3 sets x 8 reps

repeat 3 times a week.

If you can do all reps, increase weight the following week.

Continue on this for 6-12 months until you can:
Squat 140kg
Bench 100kg
Deadlift 180kg

NOW i just went to a supplement store (A1 supplements) which has a pretty good rep around my area and was telling the guy how i'm going to be using a routine like the one above and he said to me that it's rubbish and that it's not good to keep doing the same excersises all the time even though i'm leaving a day between each workout.

he also said he has been training for 6 years and he can only just DL 180KG (mind you his arms are the size of my head) now and that there's no way i would be able to lift that in only 1 year.

anyway, he tells me the best thing to do is stick to isolation excersises regardless of weather i'm just beginning or not.

So the point of my post is, i'm VERY confused now because a lot of people on this forum say go with something similar to said routine and this guy and a couple of his mates tell me completely different.....

WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO?!?!? I just want to get BIG and don't want to waste my time doing the wrong thing :confused:

Last edited:
I'll give you a hot tip, the guy is full of it!

Stick with what you are doing, build a solid base then progress from there.

No need to worry about changing exercises etc if you don't want. Just as long as you are continuing to progressively overload the resistance or time under tension (both would be optimal) you will improve.

Shit I've done the same frigging Leg workout for the past year and my legs have not stopped growing. Why you ask? Progressive overload to increase stimulus on the muscle. :)

depends on your goals mate.

I started out doing every machine in the gym.

then started the beginner program and love it, gives me goals to reach and PBs to beat. if you want strength then defiantly start with this program or something very similar, it covers all the bases really well to give you an overall balanced strength

that being said some guys don't care about glute/leg strength etc and just want massive guns, if that's your goal then there is properly a more suited program.

Mate,

I'm a 40 year old man and just got into lifting about 12 months ago. At the time the most I could deadlift was 100kg and I thought I was shit hot. Fast forward about 12 months and I've now lifted 170kg and am doing my 180kg 11 week programme right now.

I do Squats, Deads, Bench plus supporting exercises and that's about it. I train three times a week then get up and repeat the whole thing the next week with more weight or volume depending on my programme, but its an increase either way.

Don't overcomplicate it. As the old saying goes, its simple not easy.

Oh, and I've gone from about 70kg to 76kg in that timeframe too. One final saying to leave you with... "Don't do lots, do squats".

Cheers,
Mike

LOL, do not walk into Supplement shops. They are salesmen first, health / fitness advisors a long second.

Ok this is really doing my head in and i'm very confused :mad:

I posted a thread on here a coupele of weeks ago, showing my routine which involved mostly iso- exercises. anyway i was told that i should be using one of the beginner programs such as:

Squat 3 sets x 10 reps
Bench Press 3 sets x 8 reps
Bent Row 3 sets x 8 reps
Military(Standing) Press 3 sets x 8 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 sets x 8 reps
Barbell Curl 3 sets x 8 reps

repeat 3 times a week.

If you can do all reps, increase weight the following week.

Continue on this for 6-12 months until you can:
Squat 140kg
Bench 100kg
Deadlift 180kg

NOW i just went to a supplement store (A1 supplements) which has a pretty good rep around my area and was telling the guy how i'm going to be using a routine like the one above and he said to me that it's rubbish and that it's not good to keep doing the same excersises all the time even though i'm leaving a day between each workout.

he also said he has been training for 6 years and he can only just DL 180KG (mind you his arms are the size of my head) now and that there's no way i would be able to lift that in only 1 year.

anyway, he tells me the best thing to do is stick to isolation excersises regardless of weather i'm just beginning or not.

So the point of my post is, i'm VERY confused now because a lot of people on this forum say go with something similar to said routine and this guy and a couple of his mates tell me completely different.....

WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO?!?!? I just want to get BIG and don't want to waste my time doing the wrong thing :confused:

Give him $10 and walk away , that will be the best money you'll ever spend
We know what we are talking about.

Last edited:
chad i did that basic program for a year. squat went from 70kg - 170kg, bench from 70kg - 120kg and deadlift from 90kg - 200kg . then i changed it up a little, but that year i trained pretty much that 'basic' program... its works... build up a solid base.

Well all I can say is he was talking utter shit. listen to the guys on here, most know there shit when it comes to lifting mate, they been doing it a long time and have taken the effort to help those out that need truth-full advice. I am yet to see a solid routine from one of the guys on here that they can't back up with facts and experience. I am new to the iron game, and to this forum, but I have taken their advice at every turn, and so far so good. I have been doing this routine for, this is my 7th week.

Its so funny you say this, the other day one of the PTs at my gym said i shouldn't do dead-lifts or go down so low in my squats, I was a bit taken back by this as he is a fairly solid looking bloke. But than one of the big guys came over (that big look that you can't help but stare at when they lift) and said he's talking shit mate, he introduced himself to me and said he and his mate had noticed me train the last few weeks and were glad to see some good solid foundation work going on, he looked at my training log (yes i keep a nerdy log and carry it around lol) and seen my progress and said I should keep this up for at least 12 months to get the most out of it. I felt kinda proud of myself for not listening to some dickheads who have no legs and big upper bodies. Needless to say this is my progress so far;

Starting strength (very weak)
Squats 45kg
bench 30kg
press 25kg
Dead lift 50kg

Today; (still weak, but heaps better)
squat 75kg
bench 65kg
press 45kg
dead lifts 95kg

I do curls one session and dips the next session, i alternate these. That's the only thing i put in the system.

I know I'm not that strong, but I have never trained serious before this, this is the strongest I've felt in a long time. I think the best part about this workout is that you can go hard for the whole workout without running out of steam. If i were you, I wouldn't listen to anyone that hasn't got the cred to back what they say, sure the body adapts and such, but keep putting the weight up and tell me it ain't working on adapting. Go hard on this basic work and than change shit around when you're not gaining anymore........I can honestly say it will be a long while before I stop this workout as I am feeling incredible on it and feel it has allot more to offer me. If i were you, I'd stick to this for at least 6 months before you even contemplate a change.

Chad,

I wasted at least 5 years doing isolation programs. Cycle would go: new program from bb site, little result, get demotivated, didn't train as consistant, then stop, try and get back into it, find the latest trendy program, rinse/repeat

Now after all this training what was my numbers at 90kg bodyweight??
Dec 2010 numbers were: B ~70kg S70kg Deadlift 100kg
Then 6 months later after following the advice from the guys on this site:
Aug 2011 B: ~90kg S: ~110kg D: 180kg

Trust the compound exercises.

Last edited:
He has obviously been doing isolations for 6 years, thats why it has taken him so long to DL 180. Stick to compounds, they involve the most muscles

i wouldnt say stick to only doing iso.
but follow 4-5 day split body training routine.
Alot of the people in only see one goal in training and that is heavy, they actually dont get that you dont have to deadlift 300kg to look like you deadlift 300kg.

i wouldnt say stick to only doing iso.
but follow 4-5 day split body training routine.
Alot of the people in only see one goal in training and that is heavy, they actually dont get that you dont have to deadlift 300kg to look like you deadlift 300kg.

So you reckon that programmes no good too?