• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner program!!!!!??? WHAT TO DO!?!!!

Just choose something and stick with it for at least 3 months, then decide if it was any good. It is your life but if you keep jumping between programs and are undecided you will get no where. If you want advice from someone who in his prime was big and strong and has many years of experience PM Fadi and do what he suggests.

Fadi will suggest the beginners program, he put me on it, this is only week two and I have seen bigger gains than I saw in the 6 months before.:)

Stick to the basics. Train hard. Rest when needed. Eat well. And leave the isolation exercises to the curl monkeys at 'Fitness First'.

If you need motivation buy a book called 'Dinosaur Training-Lost Secrets of Strength and Development' by Brooks D Rubik.

Re your initial question : 'Beginner program!!!!!??? WHAT TO DO!?!!!'

Do it three times a week! And most importantly ignore all the nay sayers, I have also heard it all before in the last few weeks "you need to do more excercises', "you need a split routine", "no good doing the same thing three times a week", "no good training at home you need all the machines" etc etc

Yet my squat has gone from 100kg to 110kg, and Dead lift has gone from 89kg to 103kg in two weeks, I feel harder and stronger than ever after only two weeks. The nay sayers are still lifting the same weights they did 3 months ago and still look like they did three months ago. I can not wait to see what I look and feel like in another 3 months, but I KNOW I will be dead lifting more than 103kg and squatting more than 110kg and I will be stronger and harder than I have ever been in my life.

Stick to the basics and train hard and do not let yourself be distracted or confused by the curl monkeys.

I do not even tell people what I do any more, I just do it.

Last edited:
Nautilus Bulletin #1

34 Confidence

Apart from intensity of effort, confidence may well be the most important factor for the production of the best rate of training progress; without confidence in his ability to produce good results, a trainee will seldom be able to produce them – and never in proportion to the efforts expended. It is not the author's intention to go into the possible causative factors behind this situation – nor is it meant to be implied that these factors are identified or understood; quite the contrary, while a very large number of theories exist on this subject, the author has little if any confidence in any of the theories that have come to his attention – and absolutely no intention of becoming involved in a detailed recounting of such theories. But – beyond any shadow of a slightest doubt – it is clear that lack of confidence in a particular mode of training can, and probably will, reduce the results produced by such training to a marked degree; a similar, if opposite effect is well established in the field of medicine – the placebo effect. In some cases I completely agree with the methods practiced by coaches in attempts to inspire confidence, and in a few cases I do not agree with the methods being practiced – but my personal likes or dislikes are of no slightest importance; results are what count, and any reasonable method –and some apparently unreasonable methods – that will produce the required results should be practiced. I could almost literally hammer this point into the ground, with hundreds of examples of cases where confidence – or a lack of confidence – greatly influenced the production of results from physical training; but no amount of repetition can make the above points any clearer.

sometimes its hard to grasp what u see on the net..
if u need first hand experience real life experience..

Jack from my gym who started training here without ANY prior lifting knowledge was put on a 3 day a week program of for the last 8 weeks. with 10min conditioning at the end of these workouts..

squats bench deadlifts (monday)
squats bench dips/curls/
Squats military press/ deadlifts (same as monday)

every new week add a min of 2.5kg to squats/deads

So far he has gained 10kg in bodyweight (some would be water but not all.. I adjusted his diet.. TO EAT MORE)
79kg - 89kg. He no longer fits both his shirts and pants.

he went from a 110kg deadlift to 150kg
bench 70kg to 90kg
squats 110 to 130kg.

I will post up pics if needed when i get home from work..

I have several other newbies at the gym who have put on size and gotten stronger because of just doing that.

Last edited:
^^^

Chad: this guy right here works in a gym, producing real results (and babies), week in, week out. He doesn't market supplements and he's got no interest in doing anything but making trainees bigger and stronger, the faster the better. If he fails, his business suffers. Supplement sellers just pick a new product (of the hundreds released each year) and try that instead.

Do this program - its simple, and it'll work for you.

sometimes its hard to grasp what u see on the net..
if u need first hand experience real life experience..

Jack from my gym who started training here without ANY prior lifting knowledge was put on a 3 day a week program of for the last 8 weeks. with 10min conditioning at the end of these workouts..

squats bench deadlifts (monday)
squats bench dips/curls/
Squats military press/ deadlifts (same as monday) ?? monday has bench?

every new week add a min of 2.5kg to squats/deads

So far he has gained 10kg in bodyweight (some would be water but not all.. I adjusted his diet.. TO EAT MORE)
79kg - 89kg. He no longer fits both his shirts and pants.

he went from a 110kg deadlift to 150kg
bench 70kg to 90kg
squats 110 to 130kg.

I will post up pics if needed when i get home from work..

I have several other newbies at the gym who have put on size and gotten stronger because of just doing that.

does the / in your post mean "and" or does it mean "or"? also the third workout (see red above) is confusing.

sorry gift.. here it is again.. same as your standard 5x5 .. But i adjusted it for jack who has a weak bench. (he loves squatting more than he does any other exercise which is a good thing but how many times have we seen guys pull lots but bench crap relative to their other lifts?)

Do this cycle for 14 weeks then re-assess where you are lagging and then change or add assistance exercises to bring them up. Also take 4 days off (or deload whatever u like) after each 14 week cycle. Heck u could go do pilates for all i care..

Adjust the assistance exercises to suit your weaknesses..
Triceps/back work for a weak bench (yes i said back for bench)
UDL's (for deadlifts and squats) etc

Workout A

3x5 Squat (keep adding 2.5kg every new week as below. Try and do triples or 3x3 if u cant make the 5) ..
3x5 Bench Press (heavy day)
3x5 Deadlift or Power Clean 5x3, alternate every workout ''A''

Workout B

3x5 Squat (light day 70% of 1rm)
5x5 Dumbell Press or Military Press, alternate every workout “B” (light day)
3x5 Chin-ups or Cage rows, alternate every workout “B”
3x8 weighted Reverse Hyperextensions or Good Mornings
(change the assistance to add variety depending on yourself.. Try to not go too light)

You alternate workout A and B, 3 non-consecutive days per week. So you might do:
Week 1
Mon – Workout A Week 1
Wed – Workout B
Fri – Workout A Add (2.5kg)

Mon – Workout B Week 2
Wed – Workout A
Fri – Workout B

Mon - Workout A Add (2.5kg) week 3
Wed - Workout B
Fri - Workout A

Etc

Last edited:
sorry gift.. here it is again.. same as your standard 5x5 .. But i adjusted it for jack who has a weak bench. (he loves squatting more than he does any other exercise which is a good thing but how many times have we seen guys pull lots but bench crap relative to their other lifts?)

Do this cycle for 14 weeks then re-assess where you are lagging and then change or add assistance exercises to bring them up. Also take 4 days off (or deload whatever u like) after each 14 week cycle. Heck u could go do pilates for all i care..

Adjust the assistance exercises to suit your weaknesses..
Triceps/back work for a weak bench (yes i said back for bench)
UDL's (for deadlifts and squats) etc

Workout A

3x5 Squat (keep adding 2.5kg every new week as below. Try and do triples or 3x3 if u cant make the 5)
3x5 Bench Press (heavy day)
3x5 Deadlift or Power Clean 5x3, alternate every workout ''A''

Workout B

3x5 Squat (light day 80% of 1rm)
5x5 Dumbell Press or Military Press, alternate every workout “B” (light day)
3x5 Chin-ups or Cage rows, alternate every workout “B”
3x8 weighted Reverse Hyperextensions or Good Mornings

You alternate workout A and B, 3 non-consecutive days per week. So you might do:
Week 1
Mon – Workout A
Wed – Workout B
Fri – Workout A Week 2
Mon – Workout B
Wed – Workout A
Fri – Workout B week 3

Ah, sweet thanks ceffo.

the beginners program is fine. there is no problem with doing the same exercises 3 times a week (and this program works the whole body so why not?) as long as you are sleeping enough and recovering properly.

Last edited:
the beginners program is fine. there is no problem with doing the same exercises 3 times a week (and this program works the whole body so why not?) as long as you are sleeping enough and recovering properly.

Agreed.. I tell all my guys diet and sleep is 95% of lifting..

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

i wouldnt say stick to only doing iso.
but follow 4-5 day split body training routine.
Alot of the people in only see one goal in training and that is heavy, they actually dont get that you dont have to deadlift 300kg to look like you deadlift 300kg.

You don't get it do you. You can go nuts on a bb split all you want once you've built a solid base but to build that solid base you need heavy lift frequency. You get strong so you can get bigger. The beginner program is hardly a PL program, its just a basic a full-body routine. If you want to see a proper PL program then look up Sheiko, Westside, etc. They are hardly alike.

Even the best of the best skyscrapers have their solid foundations. Yet many do not understand, as all they see is the massively tall building with all its frills and glory. All would come crashing down had it not been for one hell of a kick ass foundation…which only few ponder and reflect upon. I’m of those who reflect…

Fadi.

what ever all i know is not every bb started out doing full body, there is no one way.

maybe you dont get it, you dont have to do full body just cos ur starting out.

Say what you want but i never started like that and i can still deadlift 180kg 4times and squat 140 4 times. And i started doing those pathetic concerntration curls too.

i dont really give a shit about shieko or west side and know nothing of them and dont have any plans on knowing them in the future.

Both ways work, i just feel there is too much emphasis on doing compound movements heavy for low reps.

You train to match your goals
peace

what ever all i know is not every bb started out doing full body, there is no one way.

You don't have to train that way but its just a more efficient method.

Most of the golden age bb'ers (pre-advanced chemicals) trained full-body, or at least began that way. Don't try to emulate how a current pro trains if you aren't taking the same cocktail of drugs and aren't at that already advanced level.

Say what you want but i never started like that and i can still deadlift 180kg 4times and squat 140 4 times. And i started doing those pathetic concerntration curls too.

i dont really give a shit about shieko or west side and know nothing of them and dont have any plans on knowing them in the future.

Both ways work, i just feel there is too much emphasis on doing compound movements heavy for low reps.

You train to match your goals
peace

Just in case anyone's interested, I perform plenty of isolation exercises and I think they're great. Different exercises are simply different tools to be used when appropriate.

Aiden, you sound a bit upset/frustrated in your above post. Has anyone here upset you mate?

Fadi.

Fadi, there is a low tolerance shown toward people who don't run with the flow with a number of members here.

I find, like religion when someone discovers a revalation (to them) their first phase is to wear those blinkers and reject everything else, all fueled by a lack of confidence, either that or their just trying to sell something.

What rite do we have to tell another person that a particular exercise should not be used?
we have no right to tell anyone what to do, but are we not just giving people guidance and advice based on personal experiences?