• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bench press and push ups

I do bench and then push ups personally. Push ups are to finish me off.

I normally do push ups when ive finished all my chest routines. I try and go to failure.

That is why I do them, to go to failure.

I also do a few sets during the week, for fun. ;-)

Yeah - push ups are a good way to finish punishing the muscles. I start with hands close together (which are hard after a sesison on bench). Each time I fail, I start again with hands slightly further apart (to make it easier) until I drop to the floor in a mess.

I just don't understand why anyone would do pushups at a gym.

Like this guy that comes in, all he does is goes and does pullups, then push ups, then crunches. All of which could've been done at home, for free.

I just don't understand why anyone would do pushups at a gym.

Like this guy that comes in, all he does is goes and does pullups, then push ups, then crunches. All of which could've been done at home, for free.

Could be many reasons why he does that.

I have a large fully equipt gym at work packed with weight training and strength equipment which I can use 24hrs/day, all to myself, but I don't use it.

Instead, I now train just down the road in a small set up and pay somebody to let me train there, and there are only a few barbells, bumper plates, kettlebells, chin up bars and rings.
The only thing I don't own are rings.

The reason I train there is because I just can't motivate myself to train by myself anymore.
And yes, we do push ups there too.

Maybe the guy who comes to the gym for just push ups, pull ups, and crunches comes in only for the gym atmosphere and to keep himself motivated around others who are working out.
Maybe it's a social thing.
Maybe he lives close and has plenty of money to spend....

I suppose this is where the personal trainers main market is, to keep people accountable.

If I was to do one exercise for upper body it would be dips. Dips are the squats of upper body. Chest, tri's, shoulders all get pounded ............hard.

If I was to do one exercise for upper body it would be dips. Dips are the squats of upper body. Chest, tri's, shoulders all get pounded ............hard.

if you stay upright the lats get used aswell, then you can add weights, and or bring your knees up, thighs parallel to the ground, plenty good abb, and hip flexor exercise there aswell, weighted dips...secret to a huge bench I recon.

aslo on teh why go to gym issue I had weights at home but gave em to a mate that cant afford to go to gym,...he hasnt used them..

I go to gym because there are too many distractions at home.

If i dive to gym I will stay there for atleat an hour and push myself.

Other people at gym, so I try harder to look more impressive. ( i know i know, but it helps me)

You can get a spot at gym if needed so you get that extra rep out..

You can learn different exercises and techniques by watching what other people do....

You can get distracted by the well looked after, people........;)

Last edited:
I have the space,the money and the resources to set up a good home gym
but the initial costs would take a while to come back and I can`t guarantee I would continue using it.when I was a member of a gym I would sometimes go just to have a cycle and talk shite to the hotty/dude next to me and use the fully decked out bath house.Gyms are not only a place to workout but also an institution for some.