• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench press vs pendlay rows

jimmy

A bloke I was speaking to the other day reckoned that you should be to row (bent over rows or pen daly row) approximately as much as you can bench, so that your muscles are 'balanced' - thoughts on this? Correct, rubbish, bro science?

I thought that was common knowledge - that back work protects the shoulder's integrity or something. But back work aids the Bench doesn't it anyway.

@vonframm88; or Silvergoose will know.

..probably common knowledge, but I'm a bit of a noob and just curious as my bench is heaps higher than I can row.

Total BS

I train my bench at 120kg to 135kg.... In 5 rep range currently..... All strict reps...

No way I can do same with Pendlays.... Or any other pull excercise and Still maintain strict form...

But I always ensure to pull as much as I push in terms of volume and sets...

Yeah they should be pretty similar. I can bench a lot more than I row though.

Pendalay is just off the floor for every rep, where a bent row is somewhat easier IMO

The weight I use for the incline bench press and bent over wide rows is identical. I think that's a better comparison.

I don't know what a Pendlay row is (and I probably don't give a shit). But barbell bent over row should be close to Bench Press.

they don't tend to be very strict once they get over 140kg for some reason. When I was benching 180+ my barbell bent over row was ridiculous 160kg x 5 no straps. I use up to 130 x 6-8 now with my bench at 160-170. Ted Arcidi did a 700lb bench with single ply shirt so I guess his raw bench would have been around 600lb. He barbell bent rowed over 450lb for reps (and did behind the neck press with the same!).

oh yeah, I've been benching quite heavily for 30 years and even though they grind and creak a little bit, my shoulders seem to still be up to the task. Seated cable rows are another great exercise and don't seem to torque the lower back as much. Seated cable row weight should be about the same as bent over row weight. They are probably superior because you can retract the scapula more than in a bent over row.

Last edited:
I don't know what a Pendlay row is (and I probably don't give a shit). But barbell bent over row should be close to Bench Press.

they don't tend to be very strict once they get over 140kg for some reason. When I was benching 180+ my barbell bent over row was ridiculous 160kg x 5 no straps. I use up to 130 x 6-8 now with my bench at 160-170. Ted Arcidi did a 700lb bench with single ply shirt so I guess his raw bench would have been around 600lb. He barbell bent rowed over 450lb for reps (and did behind the neck press with the same!).

Pendlay row is with hips hinged so that torso is almost parallel to ground. Each rep goes to ground like high rep deadlifts would before being rowed to your tits

Maybe if we are talking chest supported rows here then that would make total sense. A Pendlay Row isn't a fair comparison because of the isometric hold factor your posterior chain has to endure. In that sense the bench is lot easier, lying there on a comfy bench missionary style with the weight over you. Hence it is my opinion that if your pendlay row is at least as good as your military press than you are doing quite well.

Maybe if we are talking chest supported rows here then that would make total sense. A Pendlay Row isn't a fair comparison because of the isometric hold factor your posterior chain has to endure. In that sense the bench is lot easier, lying there on a comfy bench missionary style with the weight over you. Hence it is my opinion that if your pendlay row is at least as good as your military press than you are doing quite well.

Never really did pendlay rows or chest supported rows, but my bent row has always been better than my mil press by a long way

I don't like any of the standing rows. As you try and increase weight they just turn into a bar hump and you can't tell if you got stronger or just cheating more. I prefer chest supported.

I don't like any of the standing rows. As you try and increase weight they just turn into a bar hump and you can't tell if you got stronger or just cheating more. I prefer chest supported.

But you can tell if they make you a better humping machine.