• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cutting Water Weight

No intention of using diuretics or anabolic steroids.
But what you outlined seems to be the most popular from what I have researched
Some people seem to start the carb reload 3 days out from the shoot or comp.

But hats off to these guys who do compete. I really couldn't be jacked putting my body and life through this. The dieting and training must really mess with their social life. But each to their own.

Everyone is totally different when it comes to this sort of shit - I find what I outlined works for me - but some people drop or hold onto water more than others - it regards to carbing up thats prob the hardest part - for me if I started carbing while I was still increasing water intake then I'd just hold onto the water + how many carbs do you need to peak and not overload? Thats another hard one - I'd prob try the method mentioned above maybe this week and carb up/still not drinking to much fluid and see how you look the next day.

Honestly in bbing etc this is prob the hardest thing to get right - the bber could of dieted for 12-14+ weeks and looked great a week before the comp and then they start to mess with salt/water/carbup/carb down and they can fuck themselves - its all trial and error with this....some guys wont even do anything - they may simply drop abit of water and just cruz straight into the comp...

Everyone is totally different when it comes to this sort of shit - I find what I outlined works for me - but some people drop or hold onto water more than others - it regards to carbing up thats prob the hardest part - for me if I started carbing while I was still increasing water intake then I'd just hold onto the water + how many carbs do you need to peak and not overload? Thats another hard one - I'd prob try the method mentioned above maybe this week and carb up/still not drinking to much fluid and see how you look the next day.

Honestly in bbing etc this is prob the hardest thing to get right - the bber could of dieted for 12-14+ weeks and looked great a week before the comp and then they start to mess with salt/water/carbup/carb down and they can fuck themselves - its all trial and error with this....some guys wont even do anything - they may simply drop abit of water and just cruz straight into the comp...

The hard one for me is finding a carb source that doesn't cause water retention the day after
Potato works but it's hard to get 400-500g of carbs in the form of potato

The hard one for me is finding a carb source that doesn't cause water retention the day after

I am going to try it as an experiment this week - normally I would carb up on a fairly fatty/sugary/ meal - oats/protein powder/honey/peanut butter - all mixed together - maybe Id be best to try some potatos/brown rice/chicken breast instead....?

Brown rice will still make you hold a little water. Whole grain half a grain, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

You're like 105kg though? You'd need 700g of carbs to carb up properly. That's a lot of potato. A lot.
For glycogen supercompensation I really don't think it's possible to do "clean".

Why are you carbing up before weigh in Oni?

And why would one source of carbs differ to another (if equal macros) in regards to water retention?

Water retention post high carb day will also have a lot to do with how much water you actually intake.

Why are you carbing up before weigh in Oni?

And why would one source of carbs differ to another (if equal macros) in regards to water retention?

Water retention post high carb day will also have a lot to do with how much water you actually intake.

How many carbs I eat depends on how near my weight is to the top of the weight class
It's not the carbs that causes the water retention, it's the other chemicals in the food that you eat. Apparently rice is good for not having water retention

You'll want to intake water on a carb-up, they are absorbed via osmosis, it's unavoidable

We are talking 50g of carbs per 300g here
3kg of potato? Well that's impressive

We are talking 50g of carbs per 300g here
3kg of potato? Well that's impressive

Too easy. I got one of those low fat chip cookers a while a go, works great. Supposedly family size. Fits 1.5kg potato add 5g oil, ends up a nice snack size amount of chips.

I have 5kg of potatoes just sitting around, I'll give it a go at the weekend

In mma 4-6l of water a day 4 days out and cut water and food 24hrs before weigh in, sodium load for 3 days, cut sodium 48hrs before weigh in, minimal carb intake on last 4 days, then 24hrs out do a light cardio session with sauna suit on or heavily clothed, then hot baths every couple of hours usually 30-45mins per bath until at desired weight, we have cut 8kg off one of our guys who was at 9%bf with only 2 baths, I doubt you would need to go to this extent for a photo shoot but could def use the water extraction minus the food cutting, I don't think you would need to use drugs or diuretics for cuts under 8kg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many carbs I eat depends on how near my weight is to the top of the weight class
It's not the carbs that causes the water retention, it's the other chemicals in the food that you eat. Apparently rice is good for not having water retention

That is the first I'd ever heard of that. I just asked on Lyle McDonald's forum and he doesn't agree with your view point.

You'll want to intake water on a carb-up, they are absorbed via osmosis, it's unavoidable

Yes, there is definitely water in the foods you eat but it is possible to have a dry carb up. Every gram of CHO ingested will hold 3-4g of water IF there is adequate water in the body. I've had refeeds myself where I've expected to gain at least 2-3kg because of carb intake but didn't have enough water intake to do so. (for an athletic competition rehydration and glycogen replenishment are key but for my purposes at the time mass hydration wasn't required.)

That is the first I'd ever heard of that. I just asked on Lyle McDonald's forum and he doesn't agree with your view point.

Yes, there is definitely water in the foods you eat but it is possible to have a dry carb up. Every gram of CHO ingested will hold 3-4g of water IF there is adequate water in the body. I've had refeeds myself where I've expected to gain at least 2-3kg because of carb intake but didn't have enough water intake to do so. (for an athletic competition rehydration and glycogen replenishment are key but for my purposes at the time mass hydration wasn't required.)

With what? Different carbs definitely make me hold more or less water
Glycogen won't be replenished if the body can't absorb the carbs... it will just sit in the small intestine

The different carbs holding more or less water appears to be false. Unless you are intaking the exact same macronutrients then you can't really make a direct comparison.

The different carbs holding more or less water appears to be false. Unless you are intaking the exact same macronutrients then you can't really make a direct comparison.

The only thing I could see making a difference is the volume of the food eg 3kg potato making you feel bloated vs 500g simple sugars.

It's not the carbs that cause the water retention, it's the other chemicals in the food that you eat. Everything from the proteins, the electrolytes, fibre content, everything. Gluten doesn't bloat me at all but avenin does and makes me fart a lot. Backwards to a lot of people.

What should be your first meal for a carb up??
I have read that you should have fruit in your first 2 meals to restore liver glycogen levels quicker then move to starchier carbs.

why would you want to restore liver glycogen?
this is the opposite of what you want
you want to refill muscle glycogen to be as full as possible

It was just something I read, not sure how the whole process works so thought I would ask the question.
But thanks for clearing it up.