• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift question

I find that rack pulls just condition me to heavier weights and I do them from mid shin
Pulls from blocks seems like a far better alternative

Yes I did. Nothing is wrong just didn't carry over. Plenty of others have noticed this.

Rack pulls below knee are way overrated for most people. Next try at rack pulls will be on 3-4 inch mats. Being less of a change from the floor should work better.
fair enough, must just be the fatigue off the floor stopping the carryover or some shit lol

Rack pulls don't carry over so much because the groove is different
It will thicken your back up which will help your lockout but as a movement in itself I'd say it's more GPP than SPP

I got a quick question, As a newbie, I'd been told/read that you should conventional lift/pull, but when putting the weight down, try and SLDL it down, is that the right thing to be doing?

I got a quick question, As a newbie, I'd been told/read that you should conventional lift/pull, but when putting the weight down, try and SLDL it down, is that the right thing to be doing?

No
That is if it's even possible to SLDL the amount of weight you'd use for a deadlift

Last edited:

Don't overthink it, just make sure it's cleared your knees then put it down.

get it blow your knees and squat it down

OK, so what's better for building a sizeable back?

Deadlift from ground
or
Deadlift from boxes, say the bar is just below knees to get proper stance?
or
Rows

Just curious now, before I just wanted to add variety to the deadlift but it seems I have no real need to do that because I just generally need to get stronger on my deadlift overall. But what would build a bigger back? I wonder this because I imagine I could box pull a much heavier weight than I could row, so would that equate to a larger influence on muscle growth?

Hmm, interesting, thanks wingman.

So he says rack pulls just above the knee will build your back like nothing else. So i imagine box pulls would isolate the back allot more than a standard deadlift.

I wanna try these out, gotta pull my finger out and make some boxes.........nearly wasn't gonna bother but think I might just to try these out.

Have a look at this blog post. Bringing Up the Back Part Two

To add to that. One of the best ways to build upper back a power shrugs with heavy weight. Rippetoe has a video on his starting strength site how to do them.

If you are doing them right your traps will be so sore the next day you won't be able to put a bar on them to squat. You can almost see your traps growing with these.

To add to that. One of the best ways to build upper back a power shrugs with heavy weight. Rippetoe has a video on his starting strength site how to do them.

If you are doing them right your traps will be so sore the next day you won't be able to put a bar on them to squat. You can almost see your traps growing with these.

I'm aiming to get my shrug above my deadlift for this very reason
>told ausbb about it weeks ago and got laughed at

OK, so what's better for building a sizeable back?

Deadlift from ground
or
Deadlift from boxes, say the bar is just below knees to get proper stance?
or
Rows

Just curious now, before I just wanted to add variety to the deadlift but it seems I have no real need to do that because I just generally need to get stronger on my deadlift overall. But what would build a bigger back? I wonder this because I imagine I could box pull a much heavier weight than I could row, so would that equate to a larger influence on muscle growth?

Why not all 3?

Why not all 3?

SO you would grade each movement as equal to each other in terms of muscle building qualities?

TBH I'm not really sure which one would be the ultimate muscle builder, I think a conventional dead is probably the best overall compound movement, but maybe not the best for hyertrophy of the back itself.....so I would consider a Row or box dead maybe better. Than again, I have never tried box pulls so can't speak from experience.

They build the back in different ways
Regular deadlifts will put most of the emphasis on the lower erectors and obliques
Box deadlifts will shift it up to the traps and lats
Rows hit the lats and scapulae retractors more

I don't see you getting full development unless you're doing pulls from the floor, heavy ass rows/chins and heavy partials such as shrugs/rack deadlifts etc and it's pretty easy to program all 3 of them into your weekly routine

Starting Strength - Mark Rippetoe
Supertraining - Verkoshanski & Siff
Science and Practice of Strength Training - Zatsiorsky
Biomechanics in Sport - Zatsiorsky
Strength Training Anatomy - Delavier
Practical Programming for Strength Training - Mark Rippetoe
The Training of the Weightlifter - Roman

Contains 100% off the info you need
If you can only afford one, get supertraining

That's not the question I asked. I asked when we should expect to see your book on the shelves, since you're a pioneer.

The thread is about deadlifting, lets keep it about that. 0ni can start a new thread about his impending book release date.