• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Defecit and snatch grip deadlifts?

hrb93

Hi all,

Question regarding defecit deads.

I am trying to make every exercise (hard, Difficult).

I have started my wife doing defecit deads, basically with no shoes on and the barbell is touching her feet. Question is, how to do them, I have been having her starting in a arse to the grass position and lifting.

Yet all the videos I see on the "TUBE" they start with the "BUM" in the air like they are doing barbell hamstrings ie: starting position like in the following vid.

I have also had her doing snatch grip deads like in the following vid

Klokov Dmitry - Cross fit - Dead lift 225 x 10 - YouTube

for lower back type work.

My thoughts were arse to the grass for defecit to get power in the glutes and hips and snatch grip, bum in the air for lower back strength?

I think you are asking if you use a top down or bottoms up starting sequence?

That will depend on mobility mainly. Not many people are going to be able to get into an a2g setup with a neutral lumbar spine with a deficit deadlift. And if they can, it's unlikely that they will be in an optimal starting position IMO.

IMO making a movement harder isn't necessarily better if you can't do it safely or in a way that allows you progressively increase the loading.

Ass to grass squats are harder but aren't better at building strength if all you are doing to get that depth is letting everything get loose. Benching with a bamboo bar is harder but seriously limits how you can progressively add weight to the bar.

Deficit deadlift can be very effective for many people, but it's a more advanced exercise. With a big deficit (bar sitting on the feet), it is a lot harder to get into a good starting position and puts a lot more strain on the back. For someone still becoming proficient at deadlifting, it might be better bang for back to deadlift normally and achieve a proper setup then attempting a deficit deadlift where there is unsufficient mobility or hip strength or back strength to do the movement safely.

I think you are asking if you use a top down or bottoms up starting sequence?

That will depend on mobility mainly. Not many people are going to be able to get into an a2g setup with a neutral lumbar spine with a deficit deadlift. And if they can, it's unlikely that they will be in an optimal starting position IMO.

Someone's been watching mobility wod ;)

Ok

Thanks for the replies.

She can do both it would appeasr with no issues.

She did a 100kg defecit A2G dead on Sunday without any issues or pain etc.

I'm just looking for different things that will help to increase her standard deadlift.

Ie: Sundays workout:

Glute bridges single leg to warm up bodyweght X 5
Box squats (milk crate)
40kg x 5
60kg x 2
70kg x 2
75kg x 2

Back squats
60kg x 10 x 3

Straight deads
40kg x 10
60kg x 5
80kg x 4
100kg x 2
102.5kg x 2
105kg x 2
100kg x 3

rack pulls (1" above knee)
60kg x 10
100kg x 10
140kg x 6
160kg x 5
180kg x 3
100kg x 15

Defecit Deads (from feet)
60kg x 2
65kg x 2
70kg x 2
75kg x 2
80kg x 2
85kg x 2
90kg x 2
95kg x 2
100kg x 1
60kg red band x 10 x 2

Hamstrings
5 sets of straight leg
5 sets of standing machine

Is that too much volume?

Main benefit of doing deficit pulls is training hip extension
If you're doing them for the deadlift then you just just keep your legs as stiff as possible and start pulling. If it's for weightlifting or hamstrings development then you'll want more of an RDL type technique

Someone's been watching mobility wod ;)

just read supple leopard :)

OP: volume will depend on her max and how much she has been training in general. I personally respond well to increases in volume/frequency as long as I get adequate recovery. So if she feels good the next few days then stick with it.

I prefer to squat and DL on seperate days though typically.

just read supple leopard :)

I prefer to squat and DL on seperate days though typically.

Yeah she splits Quads and Hams on different days.

The squats on Sunday were just a little warm up to get the blood pumping, which she normally does every Sunday in preperation for DEADS.

Her leg workout (quads) are on Wednesday's and are CRAZY.

Her warm up on any exercise would be 90% of most females entire workout for that muscle group.

Last edited:
Lol KStar is hilarious

Everyone knows that poor mobility is what’s collectively holding us back from lifting greatness. Mobbing the slipping surfaces of your distal shoulder posterior minor will instantly turn a 110 bench press into a 140 bench press.

What are deficits supposed to aid? Speed from the floor/bottom position of the lift?

For me, if she can pick something up from the floor, it should be easier when she tries to pick it up from the middle of her shins.

Well thats what i hope the outcome will be :)

What are deficits supposed to aid? Speed from the floor/bottom position of the lift?

imo none of these
I don't like the idea of doing an exercise to strengthen "an area" AT ALL

Deficits are good because they offer a large range of motion. If you do them with kinda stiff legs they are even better. I like them for rep work

The main purpose behind performing the deficit is this: they create an element that was absent before their introduction. What is that element? It's the addition of an extended range of motion, an ERM that wasn't there before you decided to add (say) two more inches/5cm of more pulling off the floor.

Ok so what, I hear you say!

The importance of that added ERM is that you are now making your body adapt and get stronger over time to pulling that dead weight for a longer distance. Once you take that distance away, or rather once you shorten it and go back to normal (as opposed to that ERM), your body would have an easier time pulling that weight off the floor.

Having said the above, there's no point getting stronger if you're going to lose speed in the process. For that, we need to inject some Olympic weightlifting pulls to insure that our speed is maintained, if not increased slightly. Put in a nutshell, it's all about this basic formula of mass equals force over acceleration (F=M*A).

All the best to you Sir.

Fadi.

I've found they help teach me to grind, simply because you have to pull the bar an extra 05. to 1 second.

Funnily enough doing pin pulls and pulls off mats/blocks has translated more to my speed off the floor than deficits ever did. And deficits seem to have helped my lock out more than partials

Thanks Fadi. Ive pulled from a deficit before and gained nothing from it other than a sore lower back. On the topic of Olympic pulls, I found powercleans translate tremendously to my speed from the floor.

She does Conventional and defecit with BANDS for speed on the lite day.

Having to try and do it all ie: get strong, bodybuilding and lose fat for an over 40's mother of 3 is starting to get difficult as everything is sore all the time.

I think we are at a crossroads.

Hi all,

Yet all the videos I see on the "TUBE" they start with the "BUM" in the air like they are doing barbell hamstrings ie: starting position like in the following vid.

I have also had her doing snatch grip deads like in the following vid

Klokov Dmitry - Cross fit - Dead lift 225 x 10 - YouTube

for lower back type work.

My thoughts were arse to the grass for defecit to get power in the glutes and hips and snatch grip, bum in the air for lower back strength?

Klokov was/is doing most of his pulls in more of a stiff legged style for increasing posterior chain strength as that's a focus at this point in his training cycle. When he does pulls like this for snatching he sets up in the bottom
[YOUTUBE]P3ZyyIdpL_c[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another lifter doing deficit snatch pulls specifically, pulling them all from the bottom. Go to 4:05 because linking the timestamp doesn't seem to work
[YOUTUBE]BdmtALyX8_E?[/YOUTUBE]